Mini Cooper Forum banner

201 - 220 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi guys

i just recently purchased a used F56 and i have this issue (15 plate with 38k miles)

would MINI tell me to do one nicely or actually repaint it for me?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
They really must it is a known issue.then get some film on it if they dont. o

This issue is f56 or 3 door only due the way the frameless door meets the seal!

·
Registered
9 Posts
They really must it is a known issue.then get some film on it if they dont. o

This issue is f56 or 3 door only due the way the frameless door meets the seal!
mine is a 3 door, f56, but because i bought it second hand i dont know if they will do anything for me?

hopefully they will :D

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
If it's still in warranty they will but if out of and it wasn't bought from a main dealer you may need to show them this forum, the puma and put some pressure on. It is a well known fault though some dealers deny it it! Good luck .keep us posted.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Am I the only one reading this thread who is shocked to see that an issue first discussed here in March 2015 is still present on new F56 3 door cars today and that there still appears to be resistance by some dealers to acknowledge that it’s a fault! Blimey !!!

·
Registered
644 Posts
It’s as bad as the dark days of BL when design faults on the first car off the line were present when production ceased. But for dealers to deny they know owt about it....shameful! Rant over :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2016 3 door hatch had this problem by around 37k miles. My local dealer got approval from Mini to do the paint repair and replace the seals. They said to me that mini have produced new parts to rectify the issue. The new seals they fitted look the same to me, although a little softer, but that could simply be because they are new. What they did do was fit transparent film patches over the affected areas (after repainting them).

Anyway, the patches are tough and show no damage since the repair.

My take and the way I would approach it if my car was out of warranty, would be to request that they fix it anyway as it is a result of the design and has failed under normal use. Any product needs to be fit for purpose under UK sale of goods legislation and should stand up to normal intended use for a reasonable time (generally accepted to be 6 years), so just because your car may be out of warranty, doesn't mean that the manufacturer is no longer on the hook. I'm sure Mini will come good on these anyway, as they are not unknown at this point.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Got my car back today. New seals and vinyl fix. Fingers crossed now that all will be ok from here on in. Dealer could not have been more helpful.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So I had the same issue the dealer repainted and put the vinyl.
After sometime this film started to be yellow !!! I went back and they decided to book the car, later I get a call that the film removed paint whilst being removed and they have to repaint it. However, he said that this time they will not apply the film because the paint needs to cure correctly before they apply the film and this needs at least a couple of month !
I suspect that the film was a very low quality, first because it turned yellow (I do not think this has to do with the repainting as they say), second because it removed the paint when they removed (bad glue).
So I was thinking of applying this Tesa film I have on hand by myself
https://www.adesivisicurezza.it/en/...d-fender-auto-anti-scratch-0762179043744.html

Do you guys think that this is a good one or should I buy something else, maybe 3M or similar?
Is it true that I should wait a couple of months before applying the film, am afraid in this time the doors will be scuffed again and have to be repainted !
Is this yellowing because of the cheap material as I think or is it because of not letting the paint cure?

Any advice would be highly appreciated as am sick of the unprofessional handling of this topic by Mini

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
I used 3m and it was fine-never faded but never needed to take it off so can't help there. sorry.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I also used the 3M product and it’s been fine for over 3 years....in fact I forget it’s even there! My car is black though so you can’t really see it!

Your problem likely did have something to do with the paint being covered too soon. When I picked up my new JCW in July of 2015 both door sill plates had been damaged by the paint lifting. I believe it happened because the protective film was removed too quickly, thus the adhesive lifted the paint from the sill plates. The film may have been applied too soon at the factory, who knows?...some things just remain a mystery.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is there any original reference to get the transparent protector? my 2014 mini cooper s is starting with this problem and i want to polish and put the protector on.

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
987 Posts
Is there any original reference to get the transparent protector? my 2014 mini cooper s is starting with this problem and i want to polish and put the protector on.
Search ebay for 3M clear protective film, but a sheet/ make a template out of paper/ cut film using template and stick on (y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just as a recent update
Our 2016 Mini has just started to show signs of this known problem
Visited the local Mini dealer and didn't get any help to be honest "Its out of warranty now" "Its caused by dirt on the seals" "Just because you have a PUMA number doesn't mean Mini will help"
It even took 10 mins to get the Mini Warranty 'Guru' out of the office to actually look at the car
I'm a qualified engineer and challenged just about everything they said and eventually they agreed to contact Mini
They didn't take any photos though, so I could see where this was going : (
To cut a long story short, Mini said "Sorry, Can't help"
Luckily I'm pretty handy and have fitted protection film, but worth noting that when the cars outside of warranty and not from within the Mini used car network, you might be in for a battle (PUMA number or not)
This is our first Mini, so not the best of starts...

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
Sadly I don't think the new seals are anydifferent-as soon as our EV arrives it'll be 3m filmed-just makes sense and every mini coming from the factory should have it fitted -just imo of course.

·
Registered
102 Posts
2019 seals will also damage the paint, some clear coating wear became noticable as soon as late autumn hit.
Applied some paint protection film soon after taking the car from a dealer.
Best decision ever.

201 - 220 of 229 Posts