Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first post since joining as I've been doing a lot of reading and one of the topics was the problem with the door trim scratching the c pillar,I checked mine and it's doing the same,only had the car a couple of weeks new to me from a dealer with 3k on the clock.

Went to the dealer to show them and he said he's not seen it before took pictures of mine whilst there he checked a couple more on the forecourt and the 3 he checked all had the same problem,he phoned the body shop to tell them about it and they said they knew of the problem,why not fix it then before selling it on if they knew.

Any way got a call from body shop and it's going in this Friday to get fixed hopefully this will fix the problem.
Who has had the trim changed and does it fix the problem?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
According to my dealer my '65 plate (December 2015) was fitted with the new seals from factory, however I still had the door rub issue. My seals were replaced with the same as fitted during its build as they are the most recent design and they attached a clear film to the inside of the door (c-pillar) to stop the abrasive rubbers rubbing the paint off. Don't feel like its necessarily a fix, just something to cover up their huge design flaw.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
C pillar or B pillar? Does the 4 door also have this issue on the rear doors?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I put 3M clear film on my door jams right away when my JCW had only a couple hundred miles on it (Midnight Black), thanks to this forum.

The engineer in me believes this issue is caused not so much by the gasket, but due to flex between the door & the door jam. The door on the 3 door hatch is a large & heavy door. MINI should examine the design of the hinges and the catch parts between the door & the door jam to eliminate/minimize "movement" when the car is in motion.

That's my take! Softer gaskets may help a bit, but excess flex/movement of the door is what's causing this issue.

John

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
That's a good idea! Looks like a rather easy install too with a lift. I have a lift, so I suppose I don't have any excuse to not get those...LOL! (except that I'm having back issues which hampers my desire to wrench!).

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
The engineer in me believes this issue is caused not so much by the gasket, but due to flex between the door & the door jam. The door on the 3 door hatch is a large & heavy door. MINI should examine the design of the hinges and the catch parts between the door & the door jam to eliminate/minimize "movement" when the car is in motion.

John
A far better word to describe what MINI do to fix it is "BODGE" oh we have a problem, let's stick clear plastic in the door jam....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put 3M clear film on my door jams right away when my JCW had only a couple hundred miles on it (Midnight Black), thanks to this forum.

That's my take! Softer gaskets may help a bit, but excess flex/movement of the door is what's causing this issue.

John
think you could be right as i do hear a rubbing noise/squeak next to my ear while im driving,might try and mention this on friday

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Had me scratching my head too. I've been scrutinizing my drivers door, but have yet to find any damage on the door or B-pillar. 11K+ miles.

John
That could very well be the culprit. One of the first things I did to mine was install the Cravenspeed "Big Pair" underbody braces to replace the stock stamped sheet metal units. Maybe that helped with the flex?

That's a good idea! Looks like a rather easy install too with a lift. I have a lift, so I suppose I don't have any excuse to not get those...LOL! (except that I'm having back issues which hampers my desire to wrench!).
In case anyone wants to try the "Big Pair", here is the link. And yes, it's a very easy install especially with a lift. Or, if you're young or flexible enough it can easily be done on jack stands or ramps. I missed on both accounts... :D
All you need is a 3/8 drive ratchet, a T40 torx bit or wrench and an 18mm socket.

http://www.cravenspeed.com/the-big-pair/

Installation guide...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NHDkbGWFDiMSGZNT7Ehm844vKAiu598z7PvxqSJkoOI/pub

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
Just a question on the "big pair". Would they be strong enough to be used as central jacking points for a trolley jack. It looks like the only place on the mini that could be used?
Unfortunately I dont have a car lift so that would be the next best option.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I noticed soon after I got my 2 door Cooper about two years ago that as the doors shut they abrade against the door jamb, as did quite a few of use here.
Most of us put a film barrier on as a temporary measure, as the problem is due to the very rough nature of the rubber used for the "seal", and the fact that the door rubs over the seal as the door shuts, which is bad practice. A door seal should be compressed not slid over, or paint abrasion is bound to happen.

There is no movement of my doors due to flexing or worn hinges...I wouldn't want a new car that was so torsionally weak that flexing was acceptable, when new, to that extent!

There have been a number of active threads about it in this forum.

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
Totally agree, jonan,we're not even talking cabriolet here. the seals are rough and grit seems to find its way onto it too. if it were flexing the scratches would be different directions esp up and down. mine are all in a swipe type arch in line with the door closing action.

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
Just had my door seals replaced and the damage(hardly any as I filmed the doors ) repaired. The new seals seem the same or very similar to me. The dealer said it was more the position of them .tempted reapply the film . Time will tell I suppose.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.