Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So I know you have seen this topic again and again but I want to have a small rant about ROAD NOISE. I am the not so happy owner of a 2018 LCI Mini One. Honestly I love the car but I can’t take it anymore, I drive 30000km a year and while the car’s dynamics are amazing in every single way, the tire roar is just so unacceptable that I would never ever recommend a mini to anyone. I have driven a 2015 vw golf and 2008 Audi A3 before this mini and honestly I am shocked. How can a car from 2018 make your ears bleed at every possible occasion (once you go on the highway).
I have tried new rubber but to no avail (16 inch no run flat). I have downgraded to 15 inch rims for my winter tires (XL’s and still they are so loud. I don’t get how I didn’t notice it during my test drives before.
Honestly I am desperate (even asked the dealer if something is wrong with my car lol)
Did anyone of you soundproof his car or is there like an option in BimmerCode to enable noise cancellation via the speakers or something (kidding).

All help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I think ultimately we can all agree that the hatch is not designed for long distance and many miles of comfortable driving. That wasn’t the spirit of the original Mini and I guess it’s carried right through to today.

That said, it’s a shame it’s so far off the competition (such as the Golf etc.)

Mine is noisy, I do 30,000 miles a year and only just purchased for this type of use. I’m on 18” wheels with non run flats (Michelin PS4) which are probably some of the best out there, but I do still notice the noise. Especially if taking a phone call on my 3 hour drive to or from work!

I wouldn’t change it though. I love everything else about it. I tried a Jaguar XE and lasted 5 months before wanting out. The dull drive was killing me! I’m so glad to be in a Mini again and I love the small journeys I have to do even more.
In BimmerCode you can disable the sound enhancement but I appreciate this is more exhaust/engine tones - though it may help?

I think attempting to soundproof would just be a plaster over a bigger issue if it bugs you so much. Maybe it’s time to test drive one of Mini’s larger cars - Clubman or Countryman? Or going electric if your individual journeys allow for the limited range?

·
Registered
811 Posts
You could try test driving some other models at your nearest Mini dealer, that will tell you if the noise is unique to your car or the same on all models no matter what wheel and tyre configuration they have. Can't say I have been particularly upset by the noise in my wife's diesel hatch or my Cooper S Clubman and have done a few long (800 mile) journeys in both.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have just change from 205/45/R17 Michelin PS4 to 175/65/R15 Michelin Energy. Both sets of tyres are non run flats. The difference in road noise reduction and improvement in ride quality is astonishing. The smaller wheels are also considerably lighter. I always thought keeping non sprung weight down was important. Steering is more direct. Low profile tyres is a fad which I disagree with.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi. I have a 2017 F55 S with 17 inch wheels that are not OEM, and are a wider Rim. Consequently I have a wider tyre, a 215-45-R17, which are a NEXEN N FERA SU4 tyre which is amazingly quiet and comfortable for its size. I also previously had them fitted to my R56 S, and were noticeably massively quiet and softer riding than the Contis I replaced them with. They grip well, if not giving the ultimate performance of say, a Michelin PS 4S, but for me are worth it. Do you have a 3 door or 5? I know the 5 Door has a slightly longer wheelbase, Giving it a slightly better ride and comfort. Tyre choice, particularly noise levels, play a huge part in road noise, obviously along with size and width.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think ultimately we can all agree that the hatch is not designed for long distance and many miles of comfortable driving. That wasn’t the spirit of the original Mini and I guess it’s carried right through to today.

That said, it’s a shame it’s so far off the competition (such as the Golf etc.)
Difficult for the designers, each generation gets more refined and some people say great it is more refined and others say boo it is getting blander.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You could try test driving some other models at your nearest Mini dealer, that will tell you if the noise is unique to your car or the same on all models no matter what wheel and tyre configuration they have. Can't say I have been particularly upset by the noise in my wife's diesel hatch or my Cooper S Clubman and have done a few long (800 mile) journeys in both.
I agree with this, I have no problem with the noise levels on my F56 Cooper. I had Hankook tyres on when new and am now on Michelin CrossClimate and neither irritated me. Test drive(s) at the dealers has to be the starting point.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Difficult for the designers, each generation gets more refined and some people say great it is more refined and others say boo it is getting blander.
No complaints here, I love the F56. So much so, I’m on my third. I do around 1,200 miles a month, mostly a 175 miles at a time. Love it.

·
Super Moderator
8,063 Posts
Our JCW Clubby on its winter tyres is VERY quiet-you really don't get any impression of your speed till you look down and realise you'd better not go any faster!

·
Registered
72 Posts
My first f56 Mini Cooper S was noisier than my current LCI model the only difference the tyres 17” rather than 18” and ride is a little softer now, which my partner likes. So tyres have an effect mostly. Do I mind no, cause just enjoy driving my Mini to much to care and just turn up the radio. I think road surfaces also plays a big part to, some can be a lot noiser than others. I suspect the roads you drive on maybe the tar is noiser and amplifies the lack of insulation in the Mini. Other than adding insulation or changing tyres not a lot you can do. Plus being in my fifties is my current Mini noisier than cars I had in the past or youth definitely no by a big margin. You can get more quieter cars in 2020 but being quiet wasn’t a criteria for me getting my Mini. Actually I do a monthly trip to the office (250km) takes 2.5 hours. Done road trip on holiday. I love the drive and find the Mini is a great road trip car, it is fun, reasonably comfortable to drive and makes me smile.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts