Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a few errands to run tonight - bit of shopping, etc, but in several different places.

As I got back in the car (MCS) after one stop, and set off, the car displayed a Drivetrain Error and told me to Drive Moderately. Arrrrggh.

I'm not sure you'd call it 'limp mode'... more like 'cough mode'. That burble you get on overrun - it was doing that all of the time, and the car was juddering along.

I stopped, turned it off, and then back on after 30 seconds. Started off again. The error stayed for 10 seconds, and then went away. I haven't seen it since. And the car seems perfectly fine.

WTF!? This is a 6 month old car with bizarre mechanical/electrical glitches?

Anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just placed my order for a new Cooper S two days ago, so I won't have mine for about two months. I hope mine doesn't have this issue. However, since it's just 6 months old, I'd schedule an appointment with your dealer for service ASAP.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Had a few errands to run tonight - bit of shopping, etc, but in several different places.

As I got back in the car (MCS) after one stop, and set off, the car displayed a Drivetrain Error and told me to Drive Moderately. Arrrrggh.

I'm not sure you'd call it 'limp mode'... more like 'cough mode'. That burble you get on overrun - it was doing that all of the time, and the car was juddering along.

I stopped, turned it off, and then back on after 30 seconds. Started off again. The error stayed for 10 seconds, and then went away. I haven't seen it since. And the car seems perfectly fine.

WTF!? This is a 6 month old car with bizarre mechanical/electrical glitches?

Anyone else experienced this?
Yes. Another member had the same error about a week ago, it was the "Magnatronic Engine Sensor" and a visit to the dealer resolved it.

http://www.minif56.com/forum/321-introductions/18362-2014-cooper-s-sudden-engine-lights-failure-failure.html

·
Registered
890 Posts
There was also a thread in August, if you do a search for "drive moderately" it should come up, that refers to the same sort of problem. Might be of interest.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll speak to the dealer today...

In the R56, I seem to remember you could call up the recent fault codes with some dashboard button sequence. Is there anything similar in the F56?

·
Registered
734 Posts
In the vehicle status there's an option to look at check control messages... whether this would be included I don't know...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I'll speak to the dealer today...

In the R56, I seem to remember you could call up the recent fault codes with some dashboard button sequence. Is there anything similar in the F56?
I read on the North American Motoring site that if you hold down the odometer reset for 15 seconds it will open up some kind of diagnostic menu. See this, right at the top of the post:

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f56-hatch-talk-2014/278861-cooper-s-f56-dyno-mode-success.html

The menu might contain an OBD display. But you'd have to find the codes, which shouldn't be impossible out on the intertubes.

Please let us know if you figure this out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vehicle Status did not show the fault codes.

I took it to the dealer (only work 5 minutes away) who were very good. They read the codes and diagnosed some kind of misfire.

The juddering I experienced (bad limp mode) is because it shut down the cylinders it thought were misfiring.

It seems the computer can be 'over sensitive' to certain conditions. Mmmm. Anyway, they decided they would re-flashed the ECU. This is more than a 5 minute job, apparently, so they gave me a 5 door Cooper Diesel for the afternoon.

I picked it up, drove off, with no further problems reported.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Things I think are different after the re-flash:

The windscreen blowers now remember their last setting!! Hooray!

I'm not sure if it did this before or not... but if you switch to Green/Mid/Sport... the central console goes green/yellow/red for a moment. BUT NOW the ambient lights also change colour too!

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Mm now that's interesting, mine doesn't do that so you have updated software I think unless the teres an option somewhere for that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Firstly, how do we check our sw version?

Secondly we had the same done to our car last week, the issue came back after 1 week and is currently sitting at bmw with its gearbox out :( will keep you all updated

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I got the same error message "Drivetrain. Full performance not available. Have the problem checked by service"

Case: I was going uphill had to stop the car turned off cause I was in a gear and forgot to use the clutch (yeh like a noob). Turn the car back on got error message.

Taking it to service today,

Will keep you posted

F56 Hardtop Mini Cooper 2014 - Mexico City

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had to have the ecu flashed on my MCS, because I was experiencing a misfire under hard acceleration.

My ambient lights have always changed when flicking through modes green/mid/sport.

But now, my gear change indicator now prompts me to change DOWN when accelerating, not just UP for efficiency.

The juddering/misfire has gone completely since the ecu was reset :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Same problem

Same problem, also random stops with the start stop (and many other smaller problems), been to the dealer 3 times for extensive attempts to repair, trying to reject the car (under UK law), after 3 attempts I don't trust they can fix it and I don't think the car is safe to drive. Mini UK is not helping. Very disappointed with the car, the dealer and the Mini brand. I may end up taking them to court, and will never buy again from the BMW group

1 - 15 of 15 Posts