Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two months ago, I took my 2015 F56 manual on a little Saturday outing through the hills.

On one especially steep but short switchback, I got the "Drivetrain" error that states to drive moderately and have the car serviced. I pulled over and let the car sit for about 10 minutes but still had the error when I re-started. So I turned around and drove home. I didn’t notice any change in the car and during the drive home (on the highway) the error icon disappeared.

Two weeks ago, I took the car in for the 24k scheduled maintenance and recall and told the service rep about the error. He said the recall included a computer update but would check it out anyway.

Then yesterday on another Saturday outing, I got the error again – and again on a fairly steep but short incline. I kept driving until I got to a gas station, but the error stayed on all the way home. I told myself that if the error remained the next day, I would call the service center.

When I started the car this morning, I had the error but about 10 minutes in, on the highway, the error icon again disappeared. And again, I didn’t feel any difference in the car’s power or handling.

I remember reading somewhere that this error might be caused by:
  • Changing oil level
  • Aggressive driving

As both of my errors came on steep inclines and during fairly aggressive drives (winding and hilly), I can’t help but wonder if this is the case. This is a little upsetting as these cars are designed for the curves.

Anyway, should I be overly concerned about this? I really don’t feel like missing more work to take the car back to the service center when I was just there.

Thanks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Take it to the dealer and they will probably update the software on the gearbox modules unless something else is wrong.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
I'd also do an oil level check but its not right and shouldn't keep throwing this up . dealer job I'm afraid.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got an appointment with the service center first thing tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Let us know the outcome. I have had this error last a day and then the following day it disappeared never to return. I told myself that if it occurs again then I will book it in to service.

Also as you described I could not feel any change to the car's feel or performance with and without the error and assumed it must be some kind of glitch. The only thing I did that was not ordinary prior to getting the error was testing out the green mode in my car (I never use green mode, usually it's in sport or mid only).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had this happen a few months ago.
Transmission (auto) actually got rough. Better after restart. But warning light stayed on.
Dealer took two days to fix.
Software update!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here it goes:

The service center didn't even ask if I wanted to wait and told me they would arrange a loaner right away.

On the way to work from the service center (in a Fiat 500 rental which was horrible), they called to say my air filter was completely clogged. I asked why they didn't change it last week during my 24k scheduled maintenance, to which they replied that the air filter is changed at the 40k mark and they'd never seen one like mine. Hard to believe since I live in the center of the country where most of the Minis are.

Anyway, they also said they would continue the diagnostics and let me know. They called around lunchtime to say the car was ready. I picked it up and brought it back to work to finish the day.

Then about half-way home on normal highway driving - it throws the error again! Looks like I'm going back again tomorrow. This just isn't right.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Did they do a software update or just diagnostics? Most of the times I've seen this issue it's because the car is on older software that has this bug.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did they do a software update or just diagnostics?
I think just diagnostics. But they did an update last week when I took it in for 24k scheduled maintenance and the bearings recall.

The error was there when I started the car this morning but disappeared after about 10 minutes. I'm starting to believe it's just a bug in the code.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Whenever they say stuff like: "your air filter was the worst we've seen in ages" and stuff like that, I ask to actually inspect the part. To which end they usually say: "oh nah we have thrown it out already".

A good mechanic will put the old part aside so they can actually show you the condition when you collect the car, especially courteous if they are charging you extra for replaced parts. At my first mini service i'll be asking for them not to throw out any old parts they replace until I can inspect them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts