Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a new 2016 4 door hardtop with led lights but did not order cornering lights. Big mistake: The leds's are so bright that when turning into a dark unlit street the contrast is so great I can't see safely to make the turn at anything but snail speed. Will driving lights installed help? Can they be swiveled or adjusted to cant to the outside and partially iluminate the corners so that when I approach a corner on dark rural roads I'd switch them on with the high beam switch? Any experience with this? I'm a septugenerian and may have night driving difficulty in general but this cornering deficit is really bad. I love the car and while new cornering lights are prohibitively expensive Mini does not recommend retrofitting.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I would think driving lights will help, as they have a much wider "spread". They are activated by engaging "full beam" if you want.
There are some with them fitted, best wait for their input :)

·
Super Moderator
8,839 Posts
My front fog lights definitely do light up the extreme edges off the road .thats what they are for,but I have never had an issue with turning into a side road and rarely use them so I will check for you tomorrow night if I can find a dark side road!

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
Not that im having a go at you but sometimes the general rule of thumb doesnt always fit the circumstances. Safety and common sense should prevail in every situation.
If your driving and cant see for what ever reason, you either stop and go back or do something to make your journey safer. If that means using your fog lights when there is no fog then so be it. But if your situation affects other drivers or road users then you need to be considerate of them as well.
Hence some laws cater for the lowest denominator amongst us therefore make no sense to users with some intellect.

Call me a renegade but if it was me in this situation, i would be modifying my lighting or even adding lighing to overcome this problem.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
My impression of the driving lights is they are overkill, the LEDs are so bright I really don't use them. I have messed with them at different settings and they are bright enough, but they won't hold position on rough roads and it is necessary to stop after only a short run on a rough road and readjust them, and they are way overpriced. The cornering lights only work at below 35 mph and are limited from that standpoint, but they do an excellent job of lighting the shoulder. I will not oder either on my next mini, however, the LED headlights are outstanding! I may opt for some fog lights in the future to replace the driving lights.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
My impression of the driving lights is they are overkill, the LEDs are so bright I really don't use them. I have messed with them at different settings and they are bright enough, but they won't hold position on rough roads and it is necessary to stop after only a short run on a rough road and readjust them, and they are way overpriced. The cornering lights only work at below 35 mph and are limited from that standpoint, but they do an excellent job of lighting the shoulder. I will not oder either on my next mini, however, the LED headlights are outstanding! I may opt for some fog lights in the future to replace the driving lights.
Still haven't fixed your Rally lights yet huh Dan? Mine are perfect and do not wobble all over the place! I love having them, since having headlights "only" on the JCW just isn't classic MINI for me. I'd prefer foglights but they aren't offered on the F56 JCW as you know. Yes, they are pricey but I'm not sorry I opted for them. Hey, nothing is inexpensive on the 3rd Gen MINI, but the build quality is light years ahead of previous models! Just need folks to see the other side of the argument.

Happy Motoring,

John

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
No, I have not driven the mini for a few weeks as time and other toys have taken center stage for a while. We are heading to the MOTD tomorrow and I doubt I will have much opportunity to use them there due to the number of vehicles that will be running around twisting and squealing at night! I do like their appearance, but fog lights would be a better option for me. I do like the mini covers on them!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
No, I have not driven the mini for a few weeks as time and other toys have taken center stage for a while. We are heading to the MOTD tomorrow and I doubt I will have much opportunity to use them there due to the number of vehicles that will be running around twisting and squealing at night! I do like their appearance, but fog lights would be a better option for me. I do like the mini covers on them!

Have fun at MOTD....wish I could do that some day! I agree, I'd rather have fogs too.....but you know how it is. We must have been thinking similarly when ordering our JCW's.

Reactions: KYDan

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Fog lights are for driving in fog.

This safety note is concerning. I assume this is completely unlit streets. I guess you'll need to take it slow.
Fog lights are designed to project a low angle widely dispersed light pattern. The main reason for this is to prevent the light from reflecting back in your eyes when it strikes heavy fog. Consequently, it shouldn't bother oncoming drivers. Granted, in some countries it may be illegal to use them unless it's foggy, but that's not the case where I live. The fog lights fill in the light pattern directly in front of and to the sides of the car and I have mine on 90% of the time. As a matter of fact when I'm at MOTD next week I'm having my lights coded so the fogs will work with the high beam also.
:D

·
Registered
121 Posts
I to have a question and a concern about lights. Have just been looking over the specs of my SD (which I should be getting in 8 days now!) and it occurred to me that I probably should have gone for the LEDs as I'm sure I've read somewhere the standard headlights are pretty pants. My concern is that the Mrs drives to and from work on country roads and you know, winter is coming, and it will be all darkness. Will the standard headlights cope ok and if not what are the best options?

I notice on the Mini site you can buy Auxiliary halogen headlights. Has anyone got these fitted and do they make a big difference? Also can you turn them on without using the high beam?

Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.