Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Right I don't know whether I'm being extremely blind and stupid but I cannot find the bulb type for the Halogen DRL on my Cooper D - even in the virtual manual! Basically what I wanted to do is swap out the Halogen Bulb for some LED ones, however this is proving a lot more hassle than I thought. On some sites it says its a H8 bulb just like the fog light, which it's not cause it looks entirely different.

Can anyone help? All I want is the name of this bulb so I can search for LED variants.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi brandonbardsley! Are you trying to convert the halogen DRLs in the fog lights? Are they easy to get at? If you suceed, post some pics of the result.
I have seen mini trying flog led units on the accessories website.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi brandonbardsley! Are you trying to convert the halogen DRLs in the fog lights? Are they easy to get at? If you suceed, post some pics of the result.
Can you post a link to the LED Units, cause I did ask that in my dealership and they said it wasn't listed on their system as a Retrofit and they weren't sure whether it could be done.

Yes that's my plan! I've been scouring the internet for some decent looking well built bulbs but I'm not paying £50 for two bulbs, so I've a feeling I'm going to run out of luck with this potential little modification.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can you post a link to the LED Units, cause I did ask that in my dealership and they said it wasn't listed on their system as a Retrofit and they weren't sure whether it could be done.

Yes that's my plan! I've been scouring the internet for some decent looking well built bulbs but I'm not paying £50 for two bulbs, so I've a feeling I'm going to run out of luck with this potential little modification.
Sorry, think they're for the R56! Will keep looking...
Not used to having such a dull front end.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, think they're for the R56! Will keep looking...
Not used to having such a dull front end.
Ah! Yeah the halo ones are for the R56... Surely more bulbs than the PSX24W type will fit in the housing? Cause I'm really struggling to find decent looking bulbs which are LED equivalents to that type of bulb.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I believe the marker lights on the F56 are the same as they were on the R5x MINIs - just a T10 wedge base.

These are what I used on my Countryman, they are cheap and the Cree LEDs are much brighter than most. Keep in mind though, replacing exterior bulbs with LEDs will trigger bulb out warnings. You can get around this with CANBUS LEDs which have resistors built in to trick the computer into thinking they are incandescent bulbs or you can venture into the world of ESYS programming to code bulb checks out.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/W5W-W16W-...462?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19f158a756

I found these CANBUS LEDs, but as I'm sure you've found, the price goes up and reliability is hit or miss:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/501-W5W-T...536?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item338d60e4a0

Reactions: MCS

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe the marker lights on the F56 are the same as they were on the R5x MINIs - just a T10 wedge base.

These are what I used on my Countryman, they are cheap and the Cree LEDs are much brighter than most. Keep in mind though, replacing exterior bulbs with LEDs will trigger bulb out warnings. You can get around this with CANBUS LEDs which have resistors built in to trick the computer into thinking they are incandescent bulbs or you can venture into the world of ESYS programming to code bulb checks out.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/W5W-W16W-...462?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19f158a756

I found these CANBUS LEDs, but as I'm sure you've found, the price goes up and reliability is hit or miss:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/501-W5W-T...536?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item338d60e4a0
I wish my F56's DRL were that type of bulb because I'd have plenty of choice, but unfortunately they're not! :( I had a pair of LED bulbs in my Audi A1 and they were fault free, and I'm pain-steakingly going through my emails to find which bloody bulbs I used because if they will fit then I'm going to order another pair!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did some digging, using a website I've used prior on my Audi A1 - so hopefully these will be just as reliable even though they look shite! Pardon my French.

Link to them is here: http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/psx24w-68-x-1210-white-smd-canbus-leds-2-bulbs/

I'll let you know what they're like and what they look like should they fit, and if I'll be sending them back or not. >:D

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I wish my F56's DRL were that type of bulb because I'd have plenty of choice, but unfortunately they're not! :( I had a pair of LED bulbs in my Audi A1 and they were fault free, and I'm pain-steakingly going through my emails to find which bloody bulbs I used because if they will fit then I'm going to order another pair!
Ah gotcha - Stick with Cree LEDs with the projector if you can. They are much brighter and you'll be happier for it.

A quick search turned these up:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-pcs-H16...h-power-led-fog-light-DRL-WHITE-/271055642674

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
As the seller points out they are not CANBUS error free and you would need to put resistors in the loom.
..or get aquainted with ESYS to code the bulb checks out...I missed that, good point.

That style though with Cree LEDs and a projector lens is the best kind to get IME as they will give the best light output.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Done! Quick, easy and error free. :) I doubt they're as bright as the originals but they look a littler more stylish than the orange glow of the halogens.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nice work... They look good! Certainly better than the candle like glow as standard. So no fuss, no soldering, just straight forward bulb replacements? Recon i'll have a go of them.
Yeah straight forward, unscrew the lower circle opening in the wheel arch and pull the bulb out and put the LED one in and reattached the cable, ta da!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nice work... They look good! Certainly better than the candle like glow as standard. So no fuss, no soldering, just straight forward bulb replacements? Recon i'll have a go of them.
Noticed last night when I was approaching my car from the front, that there are numerous LEDs towards the bottom of the bulb that stay lit even when the car is off and locked. Emailed HID-Direct and they refunded me, but I'm not sure if it was just my bulbs that were faulty or whether the unit sends a minuscule amount of power to the bulbs constantly therefore illuminating a few LEDs, but I've swapped back to the Halogen's for now. :crying:

·
Registered
17 Posts
No! Thanks for the update, was about to start on the lights next week. Will keep eyes peeled and look out for another option. Need to sort the lights out at the same time too.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
No! Thanks for the update, was about to start on the lights next week. Will keep eyes peeled and look out for another option. Need to sort the lights out at the same time too.
Okay so I gave up for a while but then decided to order some of Amazon, here's the link and so far I'm in love with them. They didn't fit upon arrival, I had to remove two of the side plastic sticky out things that help hold the bulb in place in the socket but with a sharp knife it was dead easy.

Link:

They are super bright and super white. Perfect. Oh and they don't stay on when the cars OFF, so they work properly. Take about a week to arrive though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts