Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok thought I'd start a new thread for this as not much discussion going on regarding this particular tuning box. So if you have any thoughts or experiences let's hear them.

I got mine today for my Cooper SD sitting at standard 170ps and 360nm torque. Now should be in region of 215ps and 450nm.

Firstly, I was a little concerned with regards to fitting it myself and had booked it in at garage for this afternoon However, pleasantly surprised at how straight forward it was. Even the clips on the sensors were easy to remove.

On starting the car everything seemed 100%. No engine lights or anything else to worry about. I let the car idle for a good 5 minutes just for everything to regulate.

Programming was very straight forward. The box came at the lowest setting so didn't spend too long testing it on that. Changed the setting to Map 2 and power 1 which seemed really good then went to Map 1 power 1 which seemed to bring the power in earlier. I used these settings as another member had used these without any issues.

I've left it on map 1.1 at the moment and will leave it there for a while whilst I fully test it.

Initial thoughts; Impressive! The power is very smooth and the car just keeps pulling. Before I did feel it ran out of puff too soon but this definitely seems to have improved things on that score.

Very happy at the moment but it's early days. Need to take it for a proper drive!

O one last thing, the customer service at DTUK is top notch!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
That's interesting! I have the Auto Gearbox and I'm pretty sure 450nm of torque is over what they rate it's maximum is, so although I'd like to try it out - don't fancy buggering my car up... It does that enough on its own.

I'm glad you've gone for it though, I'd definitely be intrigued to race you and see how much faster you now are! Get a 0-60 video done? :)

How does it feel in 4/5th gear? I know when you proper hammer it when my shifts to 6th from 5th it seems to get a whole new lease of life and torque from nowhere, feels like it gets asthmatic in 5th and then bam it comes back.

I have always questioned why if its the same unit as the 125d that it doesn't ship with 227hp... Saying that it'd properly be too much of a rival for the JCW then.

Does it sound any beefier?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's interesting! I have the Auto Gearbox and I'm pretty sure 450nm of torque is over what they rate it's maximum is, so although I'd like to try it out - don't fancy buggering my car up... It does that enough on its own.

I'm glad you've gone for it though, I'd definitely be intrigued to race you and see how much faster you now are! Get a 0-60 video done? :)

How does it feel in 4/5th gear? I know when you proper hammer it when my shifts to 6th from 5th it seems to get a whole new lease of life and torque from nowhere, feels like it gets asthmatic in 5th and then bam it comes back.

I have always questioned why if its the same unit as the 125d that it doesn't ship with 227hp... Saying that it'd properly be too much of a rival for the JCW then.

Does it sound any beefier?
Can't say it sounds any beefier, it may do but haven't noticed.

I did question the 450nm of torque with DTUK. 2 things, the car will tell you with a warning light if too much power is going through, the thing is the box is adjustable so as long as you don't go mental with it I believe it will be ok. I have power level 1 and don't intend to put it to 2 or 3. If you continually thrash your car and plan to keep it for years and years then I wouldn't recommend it. If like me most of the driving is to and from work in sensible mode with just the occasional fun, say at weekends, then I can't see there being any issues at all.

I'm more than certain there will be no issues with the engine, as you say the 125d is the same with higher hp. I also have the Auto was concerned about the gearbox and torque converter but not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Can't say it sounds any beefier, it may do but haven't noticed.

I did question the 450nm of torque with DTUK. 2 things, the car will tell you with a warning light if too much power is going through, the thing is the box is adjustable so as long as you don't go mental with it I believe it will be ok. I have power level 1 and don't intend to put it to 2 or 3. If you continually thrash your car and plan to keep it for years and years then I wouldn't recommend it. If like me most of the driving is to and from work in sensible mode with just the occasional fun, say at weekends, then I can't see there being any issues at all.

I'm more than certain there will be no issues with the engine, as you say the 125d is the same with higher hp. I also have the Auto was concerned about the gearbox and torque converter but not going to worry about it.
So which box did you get the £359 or £399 one?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Guys Im sure 225d is two turbos, guess 125d is the same

Apparently if you play with the other end of the box you can get the drive train warning light...;)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Glad you got it sorted :), for me Map 2 + 1 brings the boost in really early 1.5k but triggers a CEL above 4k revs but if you keep it under its impressive. Map 1 + 1 brings boost in just before 2k but throws no CEL, Map 3 I havent tried in a while, on either of those the pull up top and high gears is impressive.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad you got it sorted :), for me Map 2 + 1 brings the boost in really early 1.5k but triggers a CEL above 4k revs but if you keep it under its impressive. Map 1 + 1 brings boost in just before 2k but throws no CEL, Map 3 I havent tried in a while, on either of those the pull up top and high gears is impressive.
Have you tried 2+2 or is that being a bit greedy? What actually happens when a car goes into limp mode?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well after running Map 1 power 1 for a week I bumped it up to power 2. This has utterly transformed the car. I find a huge difference between power 1 and 2. The power and torque are unbelievable. Let's just say I wouldn't want it any faster so won't be going anywhere near power level 3.

Took the revs past 4000rpm with no issues, car driving perfectly.

This car is now seriously quick.

It's a bit strange Stevens that we have the same car but they seem to be reacting differently to the box. I know dtuk say this can happen but didn't think there would be much difference.

I'll update if come across any problems in the future but for now very happy.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Well after running Map 1 power 1 for a week I bumped it up to power 2. This has utterly transformed the car. I find a huge difference between power 1 and 2. The power and torque are unbelievable. Let's just say I wouldn't want it any faster so won't be going anywhere near power level 3.

It's a bit strange Stevens that we have the same car but they seem to be reacting differently to the box. I know dtuk say this can happen but didn't think there would be much difference.

Better fuel economy, any black smoke or increase in carbon build up on the tail pipes?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Better fuel economy, any black smoke or increase in carbon build up on the tail pipes?
No smoke or any carbon as far as I can see. All good at the moment. Way I've been driving it doubt I'll be getting great mpg but once I've calmed down a bit and get back to driving it how i normally drive I'll do a brim to brim

·
Registered
36 Posts
getting delivery of Cooper SD towards end of next week. It's a 2 year lease so I'm not remapping and I can't justify paying an additional £400 for the box but the feedback above sounds exciting.

Found a guy up in the North east selling his DTUK on eBay but it was originally for his 320d (F30) which I believe has teh same B47 engine. tempting at tprice he's selling ti for £99 but still not sure if it'll be right for the Cooper.

DTUK FAQ suggests they won't entertain any 2nd hand units. Only the original owner can have another map put on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've just put one of the DTUK CRD3+ boxes on and my only gripe is you have difficulty getting the sound proofing to fit back neatly over the injectors and fasten the case down. Given the 'extra' connectors it's very cramped. Also where did you guys site the box? I've got the cables coming round the front around the engiine and the control box now sits on top of the battery cover as space is limited.

Not knowing what to set it on as there are no clues from the company which suggests going up the numbers doesn't necessarily give more power but just how its deleivered across the rev range. I'm trying Map 1 + 1 and the low revs power delivery is immense to the point that it's easy for the front wheel to lose traction on damp roads in 1st and 2nd gears!

No other issues with running, smoke, carbon etc as yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.