Mini Cooper Forum banner

Durability Mini Cooper S F56 after tuning

14K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  APmini 
#1 ·
I want to begin with saying that I am new to this forum and I have no clue if there has been made a post about this subject in the past.

I have a 11/2014 F56 Mini Cooper S and it is still stock after all those years. It has been a really reliable car so far and I want to keep it that way. Do any of you have any experience with stage 2 chiptuning to 260BHP+ if so, have you received any problem since having it tuned?

I am also looking at an Milltek De-Cat Downpipe to get some extra sound from the car, do any of you have that installed as well, if so, what do you think about the noice it is making?

- Ruben

(English is not my native language, so it could well be that there are some grammer mistakes made)

#2 ·
Increased power comes with accompanying heat, so to maintain longevity you need to bring temperatures down. An uprated intercooler is a wise choice, as is decreasing exhaust restrictions.
Combining these mods with a mechanically sympathetic tune by a good dyno-equipped tuner and high-end oil, changed often, will go a long way to retaining good longevity from your engine.

#12 ·
I find that as you mod your MINI and if you drive for long periods of time a good intercooler will provide you with a great deal of satisfaction. I find that my MINIs with the upgraded intercoolers pull strongly all day long as intake and heat management are key. On a side note I would steer away from Dinan Elite Tuner Modules. I have had two bad units that have thrown codes P12A9 and P10F2 and am not going to try an install my third. I have spoken with other owners who have had similar problems with the Dinan Elites.

#15 ·
Oh wow...I hope that will not be my future too with Dinan Elite. I've driven less than 3000 miles. I do have DP & FMIC on which was accompanied by this Dinan Elite. Is it possible with those added mods I won't get these codes you speak of? I'm looking to go get dyno'd soon. I rather not keep this Dinan Elite if these codes are common. Right now I do feel this piggy back performance, but will it be worth it is my concern. In this case stage 2 is looking to be more promising. Finding that perfect daily driver/reliable stage 2 will be key. Any suggestions and or are you too going towards stages?

#18 ·
I ran my 2015 JCW for over 4 years with a TMC Motorsport tuning module at 278 bhp with no problems whatsoever. I was running it with a Forge intercooler and Remus exhaust with the Eventuri intake system. In 2020 i had the car remapped which took it to 311 bhp,sad to say it blew no. 1 piston. I have now had it rebuilt using forged rods and pistons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.