Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, did a little 0-90 dash today using Dynolicious app (which I have found in the past to line up nicely with "proper" dyno runs so I think it gives pretty good results)

Here they are. Flatish road with a 0.2% upward gradient (according to strava) running no mods and Shell V-Power (Belgium so 98RON) and 1/4 tank of fuel with one 100kg driver and no luggage.

Launch control engaged btw and ignore the 1/4 mile time, I'd lifted off way before then..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
This is very interesting and I wonder if it will work with an ipad. I have a dumb phone that suits my needs as generally I gorget to turn it on. However, I did notice that the iphone has an accelerometer and I don't think the ipad does, but I will check into it. This seems like it would be a fun app to test!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the iPad has the required accelerometers, but it needs to be SOLIDLY MOUNTED otherwise you get duff figures. Might take some working out ;)

It's a good app if you're tuning/modding as it give you a "before and after" regardless of the "accuracy" of original times and calculated hp. It's also fun to play with.. on private roads naturally *ahem*

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wow!
What a great idea and clever bit of testing.

I have read many threads about the conservative MINI bhp and performance figures (and BMW) over the years but was never sure what to believe.

My F56 JCW does feel considerably faster than the F56 Cooper S I had for 15 months but 0-60 in approx 5.56 seconds is nearly super car territory.

Need to give this app a test on my JCW.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, BMW are conservative as are all German manufacturers in my experience.

We used to consistently get figures around 235bhp on the original Hurbert (R56 JCW) and we Dyno'd him physically and got 233bhp. (I'll see if i can find the print out, but think it went to new owner :s) so this is why I kinda "trust" Dynolicious.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I think the iPad has the required accelerometers, but it needs to be SOLIDLY MOUNTED otherwise you get duff figures. Might take some working out ;)

It's a good app if you're tuning/modding as it give you a "before and after" regardless of the "accuracy" of original times and calculated hp. It's also fun to play with.. on private roads naturally *ahem*
I have all sorts of Ram mounts that I used in the plane that I may be able to adapt to the mini. I could probably rig one in the passenger front cup holder. Even if it doesn't work, it would be fun to try, thanks!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The apple version of the app has terrible reviews and has not been updated since 2013. I was excited for a moment, $12.99 for an app that has not been updated in a long time seems scary.
Oh! I must have bought it in 2010 or so when it had 5 stars. Doesn't really need updating to be fair apart from new models of cars, but that doesn't really matter that much.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Interesting the neg reviews though. Picture this. 17 year old puts new 'zorst and filter on his shitty 55hp Citroen, Dynolicious proves that it's done sod all, BOO!! App is awful. Just a theory :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Am embarrassed to say that I didn't even know that my JCW had launch control! How does one go about engaging it and what is your impression of using it? 0-100 in 5.56 is pretty darn impressive! :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Traction control off, left foot on brake, right foot on gas (to the floor), "Launch Control Engaged" will display on info screen, let go the brake and off you go!

It's good. scrabbles around a bit as you would expect but it's pretty rapid.

As an aside, took the "big boy" out for a run today.. got these figures with slightly damp roads and winter boots on :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Traction control off, left foot on brake, right foot on gas (to the floor), "Launch Control Engaged" will display on info screen, let go the brake and off you go!

As an aside, took the "big boy" out for a run today.. got these figures with slightly damp roads and winter boots on :D
I am glad someone was able to have some mini fun yesterday! The weather here has been quite atrocious which has seriously limited my ability to have some fun that was expialidocious! I really need some quality mini seat time!

·
Registered
217 Posts

Thanks! Have now done about 2000km so probably broken in enough to try this hidden feature out - only worry is if the added boost from my NM Engineering Power Module might dial in too much power for the launch control to work effectively.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.