Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

Interested in a few opinions. I have one of the earliest UK F56 MCS cars, I've got a year left on my PCP but I've been invited to upgrade early to the JCW.

I am, of course, very tempted but I wonder if there really is much performance benefit. I've dyno'd my stock MCS and it actually puts more than 200 bhp to the wheels and I think MINI under quote its power output. Has anyone else made the jump. Worthwhile?

The cost per month is not much more so that's not really a factor. But I will be tied in for at least another three years and cars like the M135i and the Golf R are only about ten pounds more per month!

Grateful for any experiences/ thoughts team!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Really???? This is interesting.

I have a 6/2014 MCS, so pretty early aswell. My dealer reckoned I'm still about £3K in negative equity on my PCP .... no chance in **** to upgrade to a JCW :(

If you enjoy your current MCS and have no issues that would make you think about jumping marque, I would definitely go for it. A 135i and Golf ain't going to make you smile like the JCW will......

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, Donna. My car is earlier still than yours. Literally one of the first built at the beginning of 2014 so that might explain it. I am also well under the milage allowance so negative equity isn't a problem.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Make the jump!! Have you driven the JCW yet? Go and have a drive, it's great, just make sure you tick adaptive dampers as an option, head up display and the harmon kardon sound system and of course get the manual not the auto, I've driven both quite a lot and manual is the way to go, enjoy you lucky git

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I'd wait until the end of your PCP. Lifecycle of a car is seven years, by the end of your PCP you'll be very close to the launch of the facelift F56.. I'd personally wait.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I am echoing the test drive option. The F56 is an amazing vehicle, the JCW is the pinnacle of the line and an absolute joy to drive. You are the only judge that matters in this decision. An advance warning though if you drive it you will want it. Even if you decide to stay with your current mini you can have some fun!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Definitely seems worth a test drive!

I love my Cooper but occasionally find myself on the configurator looking at a Cooper S or JCW...! Naughty.

I've had it 3 months... Perhaps I should at least wait until 2 years ;)

Enjoy the test drive and let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a MCS with JCW tune and have just given back a JCW loaned to me for work. The JCW was impressive on a track. It had standard suspension and handled the same as my MCS but I got round the track just under a second quicker (this might also have something to do with the JCW not being mine if a bind it). After a couple of days I found that both cars felt the same during day to day driving. To begin with I was all set to traid up but after the month I realised for me it would be a waste on money. I'm not saying that in 3 years or so I might not traid up but also I might not get another mini who knows.

You will have to drive it and decide if the slight improvement in performance on the MCS is worth the expense.

Enjoy the car if you decide to do it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting.

I think the dealer wants to "wrap me up" for another three years but I'm not convinced I'm going to enjoy the extra performance that much more than what I've already got. On the other hand, since I love my MCS, it might be that I love the JCW even more!

I must say though, I'm not sure that MINI have their pricing quite right. As I say, the JCW is priced very close to a new M135i and the S3. In fact, it's about the same price as a lightly used Cayman!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I think you are right they are desperate for sales as most dealers have lots of stock vehicles they need to shift, not sure if they have JCW's but I know a few people who have walked into dealers and have brought spec'd up JCWs that are in their yards, good deals to be done...

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I have a MCS with JCW tune
What is a "JCW Tune" ?

You have a Cooper S with the JCW Pro kit ? If so, that's 210BHP(ish), (as that's what the Challenge 210 has) and without all the JCW engine components.

I would be very surprised if you are into positive equity this early in your contract. I took a hit on my M135 after 17 months to get the JCW, but I just didn't want the Beamer any longer.

Anyway, you need a JCW in your life if you want a red roof, and everybody needs a red roof !! :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
What is a "JCW Tune" ?

You have a Cooper S with the JCW Pro kit ? If so, that's 210BHP(ish), (as that's what the Challenge 210 has) and without all the JCW engine components.

I would be very surprised if you are into positive equity this early in your contract. I took a hit on my M135 after 17 months to get the JCW, but I just didn't want the Beamer any longer.

Anyway, you need a JCW in your life if you want a red roof, and everybody needs a red roof !! :D
I'm not thinking of the upgrade (me5537 is) after having a JCW for the month for work. I bought my MCS cash so don't need to worry about equity. Yes it is the JCW pro kit - and some additional tuning done through contacts at work, had the latter done this week, running 252bhp 329nm with a Upgraded intercooler and upgraded rad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jetstar, there is a tiny bit of negative equity that they're willing to waive. As I say, it is well under the permitted milage.

I've got a stock MCS. Another chap, Balypu has tuned his. All I said about power is that I ran mine stock on a dyne and it put out about 200bhp at the wheels - so it must be under quoted by MINI.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Jetstar, there is a tiny bit of negative equity that they're willing to waive. As I say, it is well under the permitted milage.

I've got a stock MCS. Another chap, Balypu has tuned his. All I said about power is that I ran mine stock on a dyne and it put out about 200bhp at the wheels - so it must be under quoted by MINI.
You mean Jelster?

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I'm not thinking of the upgrade (me5537 is) after having a JCW for the month for work. I bought my MCS cash so don't need to worry about equity. Yes it is the JCW pro kit - and some additional tuning done through contacts at work, had the latter done this week, running 252bhp 329nm with a Upgraded intercooler and upgraded rad.
Then I see no reason for you to go to a JCW, unless you want the engine internals.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.