Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm contemplating purchase of a fairly low mileage 2011 JCW, and my BMW mechanic doesn't have a high regard for the Peugeot engines in the 2nd Gen MINI's. I understand the new MINI's have BMW engines.

Even if the JCW I am considering is very clean with 52k miles, should I stay away from it and wait for a 2015 JCW...or, for a good price would it be a good first MINI for me to buy and enjoy for awhile?

I'm sort of on the fence with this decision.

If those on here who have technical knowledge (or personal experience) with the 2nd generation engines advise me to run away, that will weigh heavy on my decision.

Thanks for any input,

John

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The Prince engine is pretty nice. Having said that, my engine (2010 MCS with JCW tune) blew up and had to be replaced. Your mileage may vary.

Personally, I would go for a new JCW.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The JCW I am considering had the clutch replaced at only 36k miles...this made me wonder. Good news is (assuming the engine health is good) the new clutch is only 16k miles used.

Should I insist on compression & leakdown tests on the engine to determine overall engine health?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The JCW I am considering had the clutch replaced at only 36k miles...this made me wonder. Good news is (assuming the engine health is good) the new clutch is only 16k miles used.

Should I insist on compression & leakdown tests on the engine to determine overall engine health?
I would. The thing about a JCW is very few people buy it just to drive to church on Sunday. By definition, a JCW is a bit of a hooligan car and is going to be thrashed more or less according to driver enthusiasm. The drivetrain on the Gen II is supposedly beefed up to accommodate that, but Your Mileage May Vary.

The fact that the clutch was replaced at 36K suggests spirited driving by the previous owner. Or he was a putz who failed at hill starts.

I would have MINI techs look very closely at the entire drivetrain.

·
Registered
478 Posts

The clutch could have been changed as part of a dual mass flywheel change (they can last less time than a clutch), so this might be a sign of good maintenance, not letting the clutch judder from a DMF to build up and damage the gearbox.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I would. The thing about a JCW is very few people buy it just to drive to church on Sunday. By definition, a JCW is a bit of a hooligan car and is going to be thrashed more or less according to driver enthusiasm. The drivetrain on the Gen II is supposedly beefed up to accommodate that, but Your Mileage May Vary.

The fact that the clutch was replaced at 36K suggests spirited driving by the previous owner. Or he was a putz who failed at hill starts.

I would have MINI techs look very closely at the entire drivetrain.

I guess it's ok to have the dealer who has the car for sale to give me a full report...I don't mind paying for a PPI. This particular car was purchased at the very same MINI dealer who now has it for sale...one owner car. They told me they wouldn't even offer it for sale if it didn't pass muster! This is one reason it interests me (one owner car, same dealer). It could be a solid car even if a bonehead used to own it!

I know one thing, if I go for a new 2015 or wait until the new year, I'll baby it and treat it proper. But, that doesn't mean I'll drive like an old lady either!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The clutch could have been changed as part of a dual mass flywheel change (they can last less time than a clutch), so this might be a sign of good maintenance, not letting the clutch judder from a DMF to build up and damage the gearbox.

That's exactly what is was!!!....according to the Carfax records. Maintenance was performed on the car at the same dealer since new.

·
Registered
478 Posts
So if you test drive, try and drive it when it's been standing for a bit of time, at least over night, then see if your first few (one or two) pull aways are judder free, if not the DMF is knackered and needs replacing. I have known them last less than 10k miles so be warned.

·
Registered
235 Posts
2nd gen MINI's did not have Peugeot engines, they have an engine jointly developed by BMW and Peugeot.
Then the JCW engine has completely different internals, con-rods, pistons, camshafts etc.

I have owned 2 different JCW's models and I have not had any problems with either.

Reactions: Mike

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I personally, would try and shy away from the N14 engines as those were the ones that had most of the issues. JCWs did not switch to the better N18 engine until the 2012 MY.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Posting this from a discussion on another thread (see below)...I realize it was sort of off topic there, but I did get a couple good responses. Anyway, if anyone has first hand knowledge on the F56 JCW engine (or the "S "even) in the F56 I'm all ears. I need to know how this engine is that much better than the R56 engines...I already read some about the change from the N14 to the N18, but I'm not convinced that either of those engines is a strong power plant that will last well past 150,000 miles.

Thanks,

John
-----------
Originally Posted by xserret
FYI, The engine in the new minis is totally new BMW, and moreover it is already used in many other BMWs already.

The 3 banger version is actually used in the very top end car: the BMW i8 >:D

The previous generation engines are not related in any way!

The first engine for the R53 was a modified Chrysler, and indeed had many quacks but it's core was rock-solid.

The engine from the R56 was a joint venture with Citroen, and I believe it was them that designed the core while BMW worked on the headers and management. Don't really know reliability of this one.

Thanks, I am learning about all three generations. I'd probably jump at a Gen 1 if it was the right car...but how many low mileage Gen 1's are there out there? (not many if any at all)...I still love the R53 though...one for sale near my office is what started me on this hunt!

As for the R56, the engine scares me a bit, especially after talking with my mechanic. The JCW I am considering is the exact color scheme I would like but with 53k miles (clutch replacement at 36k miles) and just shy of $20k asking price. It is still tempting, though..if only I knew more about that engine reliability. If the Dealer would warranty the engine for another 50k miles, I'd probably buy it...but that isn't gonna happen.

As for the BMW engine in the F56 how does anyone go about knowing more about this one? For one thing, I know the 2.0 Liter powerplant is a famous engine size and one that BMW knows thru-in-thru....I know it's probably light years ahead of the BMW Tradition 2.0 L block that made the 2002 famous and many other Bimmers!...but this new engine is a mystery even to my mechanic.

So, maybe I'll wait and see...then order a new JCW! I just hate passing up a solid '11 JCW to enjoy in the meantime..but, I don't want to throw money down a hole!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I drove 80 miles today with my wife to look at and drive the '11 JCW I've had my eye on, and guess what? They had just sold it to someone earlier today who was waiting to pick it up (being detailed). So, that ends that.....it was AWESOME!!! I shouldn't have waited. At least the new owner allowed me to sit in it for a few seconds! :( Then, I had to follow it down the road as we were leaving!

But, all is well that ends well. Now, the focus will be on ordering a 2015 2 Dr Hardtop JCW just the way I want it! I just hope to learn as much as possible about these new BMW 2.0 liter twin-turbo engines. I'm sure they "have" to be a much better engine in the long run.

I'll be spending a significant amount more than what I was looking at with the used '11 JCW, but hopefully it will be a good investment and the smile will be wider!!! :laugh:

John

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Well, I drove 80 miles today with my wife to look at and drive the '11 JCW I've had my eye on, and guess what? They had just sold it to someone earlier today who was waiting to pick it up (being detailed). So, that ends that.....it was AWESOME!!! I shouldn't have waited. At least the new owner allowed me to sit in it for a few seconds! :( Then, I had to follow it down the road as we were leaving!

But, all is well that ends well. Now, the focus will be on ordering a 2015 2 Dr Hardtop JCW just the way I want it! I just hope to learn as much as possible about these new BMW 2.0 liter twin-turbo engines. I'm sure they "have" to be a much better engine in the long run.

I'll be spending a significant amount more than what I was looking at with the used '11 JCW, but hopefully it will be a good investment and the smile will be wider!!! :laugh:

John
Bummer for you. NOT

You won't regret it. Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Better hope you not buying a Car from some Hot Rod Hotties. Old Ladies are not a save Bet your can get screwed too. Better look for a Cooper driven by an Accountant.:D

·
Registered
280 Posts
'the very same MINI dealer who now has it for sale...one owner car. They told me they wouldn't even offer it for sale if it didn't pass muster! "

They're car dealers!

·
Registered
61 Posts

John
The B48 engine does not have twin turbos, and the "twinpower turbo" -name is just something BMW Marketing came up with to make it sound better...

The engine has direct injection, twin scroll turbo, variable valv lift and variable valve timing. This is no doubt hightech, but really no different from new engines that other car manufacturers are producing.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The B48 engine does not have twin turbos, and the "twinpower turbo" -name is just something BMW Marketing came up with to make it sound better...

The engine has direct injection, twin scroll turbo, variable valv lift and variable valve timing. This is no doubt hightech, but really no different from new engines that other car manufacturers are producing.
Thanks for that, but will this engine be better than the previous efforts by MINI? I certainly hope so because the engine issue is what has made me pause looking used examples, especially the JCW I just missed out on...What a gorgeous car! Black on Black, 52k miles for $17,900!

Will it be worth paying double that for a new one? I'm just not sure...I need to know more about this new powerplant before I even consider a new one, whether the JCW or the S.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I guess it is to early to tell if the new MCS engine is better then the previous one.

Some have had main bearing failure on manual low milage F56 MCS, others (Including me) have had gear box failure.

If you order a new car I would expect these problems to be solved by now.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a mini cooper s f56 i love the engine. So responsive. Since it is bmw's new engine for many more models i guess it would last long. Not sure offcourse time will tell. But as i said i love the way it drives and you have to know it doesn't have its full potential. It could make much more hp. So you don't hurt the engine. Also the twinpower turbo isn't just a name. Its the way the turbo is build. It has 2 chambers for cyl 1and 4 , 2and3. Thats why it doesn't get pulses as a standard turbo does and why it gets off so fast.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
...Also the twinpower turbo isn't just a name. Its the way the turbo is build. It has 2 chambers for cyl 1and 4 , 2and3. Thats why it doesn't get pulses as a standard turbo does and why it gets off so fast.
Actually, what you're referring to is called a "twin Scroll Turbo". That is a separate thing from the "Twin Power" designation BMW applied to the entire engine, for the reasons mentioned above.

It's pretty confusing. If they were interested in accuracy it would be "Quadruple Power". But that's probably a complete jawbreaker in German.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts