Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst i really do like the start/stop tech for the mini, I wonder if the tech will stand up an be reliable over a long period of time.

I remember hearing that "90% of your engine wear and tear happens during starting/stopping" - probably an oil company ad, so not sure on how true it is.

But the point of the post is, does anyone know Mini/BMW/Other has actually done to facilitate this technology? Is it the starter motor that restarts the car? Wont the constant start/stop have a negative effect on the engine? or the starter motor?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Im wondering too. Especially during heavy traffic, im worried that if the engine often shuts down and start up in a short time of period continuously it will have bad effects in the long run.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im wondering too. Especially during heavy traffic, im worried that if the engine often shuts down and start up in a short time of period continuously it will have bad effects in the long run.

During heavy stop start traffic the cars auto stop/start automatically turns off, as not to cause undue issues.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Tens of thousands of MINIs have had this system installed for about the last 5 years. I don't think I have ever heard of any issues.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I imagine car manufacturers won't be concerned about the longevity of an engine that has stop/start!
It's all about meeting ever tightening emissions etc to save the planet.
No idea on statistics but if you are sat at a set of traffic lights and all the cars around that are waiting have there engines stopped, it's a huge amount of nasties not coming from all the cars.
First thing I do is switch the start/stop off! Sorry to all you greeny save the planet types!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not to deter from the OP, but i am trying to work out if anyone knows how it works firstly and secondly if there are any long term issues with this system.

Considering its been running for 5 years with very little negative feedback, it would be safe to say its "tried and tested"

·
Registered
90 Posts
On older cars it probably would've been an issue, but modern engines for the most part are pretty bullet proof.

I still think it does cause undue wear to the engine just to meet silly emissions regs, but it's a tradeoff manufacturers are willing to take, and if the negative effects were that great, they'd be fighting against having it installed.

·
Registered
441 Posts
They replaced the starter motor and alternator with an ISG (integrated starter-generator) which is much more robust. as for the wear and tear, that's when the engine is starting from cold because the block shrinks round the pistons, so I understand.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I don't think emissions regulations are silly... if not for the planet then for all the pedestrians, cyclists and local residents.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It keeps the CO2 down so it appeals to company car drivers (like me) because the tax is much lower - nothing more than that.

Personally, the lower the CO2 the better, and the CO2 figures are great on the MCS considering it's performance.

·
Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
Your're right profiteroles; upgraded bits but also the car monitors its own state and wont shut down unless it is happy ie so if it is too cold it wont switch off. If demand from ancillaries etc is high it wont switch off.
And yes I was under the impression as you are that most wear occurs with a cold engine so if hot then all ok. the other thing is the turbo which if hot, cooks-mini thought of this with the r56 cooper s by including a cooling pump that continues to run if the engine is switched off. not heard it yet on my f56 but would assume it is the same. SO NO DONT WORRY re the auto stop start-the car has in built protection! VERY clever!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Whilst i really do like the start/stop tech for the mini, I wonder if the tech will stand up an be reliable over a long period of time.

I remember hearing that "90% of your engine wear and tear happens during starting/stopping" - probably an oil company ad, so not sure on how true it is.

But the point of the post is, does anyone know Mini/BMW/Other has actually done to facilitate this technology? Is it the starter motor that restarts the car? Wont the constant start/stop have a negative effect on the engine? or the starter motor?
As profiteroles has said the majority of damaging engine wear happens when the engine is started and running from cold, stopping and starting when warm should not have any detrimental affect. If I remember rightly the Mini system won't become operative until the engine has warmed up. Also as with anything you can always chose to use the overrides if under certain circumstances you believe you know best. It's like the change gear indicator on the dash, it can't see the road/traffic conditions ahead to know that you will need to slow very shortly. Personally I really like the system and hate the amount of fuel wasted and pollution generated when vehicles are stationary with the engine running.

·
Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
I totally agree SAG, and if I think for eg lights are just about to change I keep my foot on the clutch to stop it-as you say, as yet they cant think or communicate with eg other cars or traffic lights, but it might happen I suppose!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I imagine car manufacturers won't be concerned about the longevity of an engine that has stop/start!
It is more like, the customer having to worry about the repair costs once the warranty period (honeymoon) is over and you have to pay out of your own pocket to fix it. That is when things get expensive. $$$$

·
Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
There are lots of minis racking up huge trouble free miles.known issues Inc hp fuel pump but never seen many alternator starter motor issues.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It's all about meeting ever tightening emissions etc to save the planet.
No idea on statistics but if you are sat at a set of traffic lights and all the cars around that are waiting have there engines stopped, it's a huge amount of nasties not coming from all the cars.
First thing I do is switch the start/stop off! Sorry to all you greeny save the planet types!
I can't make heads or tails of your comment. Are you making some sort of political statement by turning off the start/stop? Do you think pollution NOT coming from cars is a bad thing? Do you think people who love Mother Earth are misguided?

·
Registered
508 Posts
It is cold starts that cause most wear - the oil is so thick it doesn't flow properly and as the engine has been sitting for some hours, the oil has drained out of all the bearings.

A warm restart is something completely different - the oil is warm (or warm-ish) and the bearings had oil pumped to them only seconds before.

Making a starter motor do this extra work is dead simple - the standard automotive starter motor is about the lowest of the low where electric motor standards are concerned. Mini say they fit an uprated one for stop/start cars.

If stop/start caused all these premature starter motor and battery failures, how come European R56s don't seem to have had any problem with it?

And the stop/start has nothing to do with emissions regulations - it is there to give a higher mpg figure on the official test, since that is what so many buyers want. Whether it translates into significant fuel savings is another matter - the urban cycle of the official mpg test has a lot of idling, which stop/start obviously effects.

·
Registered
34 Posts
They replaced the starter motor and alternator with an ISG (integrated starter-generator) which is much more robust. as for the wear and tear, that's when the engine is starting from cold because the block shrinks round the pistons, so I understand.
Does that mean there's no starter ring gear on the flywheel?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I've been searching for information about the ISG as implemented on the mini. Can you provide a link to a good technical writeup?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts