Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Four us budding EV owners thought this might be an interesting thread to start as it seems to be a minefield out there. I've always moved yearly at least but lately in response to price rises. We don't have a smart meter as yet nor eco 7 and have just moved to PFP at 12p a unit and 19pstd charge fixed for a year which seems cheap=when it runs out next Oct we'll be looking at our home charging and looking carefully at more imaginative providers-Octopus do 'Go' which at the mo is 25 day std charge and 13p peak with 5p off peak midnight 30 till 4.30 which is VERY cheap. The thing is our local TEsco do free charging and we are not sure how much we'll use the car -so need to do some serious calcs next year based on the extra we'll be using-got an excel spreadsheet of our current-ha pardon the pun useage so it'll be interesting. Am i being sillyshould i halt our move to pfp and go octopus go now-any thoughts gratefully received!

·
Registered
2020 Mini Electric Cooper S - Level 2 - White Silver / Energetic Yellow
112 Posts
OctopusEnergy have other tariffs as well which may suit you better than Go
They have a trial tariff that I am on called “Go Faster”. It has the same rates as Go but you can choose different start times and lengths of charge period with slightly different cheap rates for each one. You can have a start time as early as 8:30pm (which is what I have selected). It means I can use all my high usage devices on the cheap rate, washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher, plus of course the car. It also means that the car can be unplugged before I go to bed. You do need a smart meter first, and you have to ask to try the trial tariff which they could of course decline.

They also have a tariff called “Agile” where the rate for electricity varies every 30 mins based on the wholesale price of electricity that has been agreed the day before. You get told the half hourly rates the day before and can then plan your usage around it. In some 30 min slots they will actually pay you to use electricity so that the oversupply is used up. It can make for very cheap electric but it takes effort from you to work around the rates.

As I said I am on OctopusEnergy Go and my average cost per KWH using the 14p and 5p rates is about 9p at the moment, which is very cheap.

·
Registered
578 Posts
In our area a group of people got so fed up with the big providers they set up their own energy provider, Peoples Energy. The main difference is they provide better tariffs for local users and in the future plan to have a profit share scheme for all those who are signed up. They can still provide pretty competitive rates for those all over the country.

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's interesting have just activated the switch to these. Great rates. May stay the year then and see.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Has anyone had a look at the OVO EV Everywhere tariff with two years free Polar and up to 5000 free miles for the first year with a Mini before 31st December?

·
Registered
23 Posts
So you guys who are on Octopus are you just on the electric tariff or dual fuel? I'm not on Economy 7 and don't have a smart meter. I need a dual fuel tariff. I was with Tonik Energy for the last two years but as they went t*ts up in October I'm currently being moved to Scottish Power.

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked but the normal price energy means we'd probably be better on our new tariff with peoples energy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've joined Octopus today on the Tracker tariff while I wait for the smart meters to be installed, I'll then change to Go or Agile.

·
Registered
2020 Mini Electric Cooper S - Level 2 - White Silver / Energetic Yellow
112 Posts
So you guys who are on Octopus are you just on the electric tariff or dual fuel? I'm not on Economy 7 and don't have a smart meter. I need a dual fuel tariff. I was with Tonik Energy for the last two years but as they went t*ts up in October I'm currently being moved to Scottish Power.
I’m on the dual Fuel tariff.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks, I thought it was maybe just Go Faster.
Octopus tell me that my switch is going smoothly and I should be on supply by 9th December.
I've opted for the Tracker tariff until my smart meters are fitted in case they take some time to install.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts