Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 MINI Cooper S Clubman All4, 6MT

My wife, my daughter, and I took a short road trip today. We stopped to take a look at a waterfall and got an error on the screen about the electronic parking brake malfunction. It said to ensure the vehicle doesn't roll away. I put the car in 1st (6MT) and the car stayed in place. We checked out the waterfall and came back to the car. The car fired up and the electronic parking brake malfunction light lit up telling me to ensure the vehicle doesn't roll away. I try to reverse and you can tell the brake is stuck on. I turn the car on and off a few more times and pull the switch a few more times and it finally releases. We park the car 2 more times with no issue. We just pulled in the garage, parked, and the malfunction light is back.

Does anyone have a schematic of the parking brake system? Is there a way that I can force the servo to release the parking brake? Being a manual, I can make it not roll away by leaving it in gear. The brake stuck on is much more inconvenient than the brake stuck off. Should I just call MINI on Monday and have them come pick it up? The nearest dealership is 150 miles away. We are passing by a dealer in 3 weeks on another road trip, but I don't want our trip to hinge upon them diagnosing the problem correctly and having the parts on hand.

TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
2017 MINI Cooper S Clubman All4, 6MT

My wife, my daughter, and I took a short road trip today. We stopped to take a look at a waterfall and got an error on the screen about the electronic parking brake malfunction. It said to ensure the vehicle doesn't roll away. I put the car in 1st (6MT) and the car stayed in place. We checked out the waterfall and came back to the car. The car fired up and the electronic parking brake malfunction light lit up telling me to ensure the vehicle doesn't roll away. I try to reverse and you can tell the brake is stuck on. I turn the car on and off a few more times and pull the switch a few more times and it finally releases. We park the car 2 more times with no issue. We just pulled in the garage, parked, and the malfunction light is back.

Does anyone have a schematic of the parking brake system? Is there a way that I can force the servo to release the parking brake? Being a manual, I can make it not roll away by leaving it in gear. The brake stuck on is much more inconvenient than the brake stuck off. Should I just call MINI on Monday and have them come pick it up? The nearest dealership is 150 miles away. We are passing by a dealer in 3 weeks on another road trip, but I don't want our trip to hinge upon them diagnosing the problem correctly and having the parts on hand.

TIA.

Bloody ****, 150 miles away!? Where do you live?

I'd just take it in rather than attempting to rectify it yourself... Might just be a software malfunction, doubt it'll be too serious.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Personally I'd get it sorted ASAP as you never know if it fails and when it could come on while moving, maybe.

I guess you aren't in the UK?

In the UK you can call MINI Assist and if the car has a failure they will come and repair/recover and you get a loan car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally I'd get it sorted ASAP as you never know if it fails and when it could come on while moving, maybe.

I guess you aren't in the UK?

In the UK you can call MINI Assist and if the car has a failure they will come and repair/recover and you get a loan car.

Not in the U.K. MINI has roadside assistance to do the same thing here, but the car is at my house and I have 2 other cars, so I don't really want to waste my weekend dealing with this.

Bloody ****, 150 miles away!? Where do you live?

I'd just take it in rather than attempting to rectify it yourself... Might just be a software malfunction, doubt it'll be too serious.

West Virginia. I have 5 different dealers that are between 2.5 and 4.5 hours drive. As they say in O'Brother Where Art Thou, it is a goddamn geographical oddity; 2 weeks [sic] from everywhere.

I am not planning on fixing it myself but it would be nice to be able to drive the car rather than having a $37k garage ornament until the dealer can get the car.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Not in the U.K. MINI has roadside assistance to do the same thing here, but the car is at my house and I have 2 other cars, so I don't really want to waste my weekend dealing with this.

West Virginia. I have 5 different dealers that are between 2.5 and 4.5 hours drive. As they say in O'Brother Where Art Thou, it is a goddamn geographical oddity; 2 weeks [sic] from everywhere.

I am not planning on fixing it myself but it would be nice to be able to drive the car rather than having a $37k garage ornament until the dealer can get the car.

Get them to come pick it up then! 0:)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I can understand that but here in the UK you would be breaking the law for having a defective brake, no idea the law is with you!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can understand that but here in the UK you would be breaking the law for having a defective brake, no idea the law is with you!

I don't so much care about not having a parking brake for a drive up to the dealer.

Master Tech that was on the phone with me says that the only way to disconnect the brake is to remove the actuator. There isn't a manual release like a lot of BMWs have. They are sending a tow truck tomorrow.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a little update: 2 weeks later, the part finally arrived from Germany. They were fixing the car yesterday. They will drive it here on Tuesday when I get back from a short trip to the beach.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.