Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have a 2012 Mini Cooper Coupe. I've been having some issues lately. A couple of weeks ago the car was making a "putt putt" sound when I started it in the morning. Eventually I got a warning msg "Vehicle Battery - Increased battery discharge while stationary".

I took the car to an Autobarn, the guy advised that it needed recharging. Given the age of the car I thought it best to replace the battery completely. The car was ok for a few days, then, intermittently, the "putt putt" sound has come back.

Tonight though, when picking up the car from the station I got another warning msg "Engine fault! Reduced power - Full engine power no long available. Possible to continue journey. Drive moderately. Have the problem checked by the nearest Mini Service".

Has anyone encountered this message before? What does it mean??

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
For what it's worth I had that annoyingly vague warning come on when my car was fairly new (2015 MCS). In my case it turned out that a couple of fuel injectors had failed. The symptoms I saw were a bit different, with the car having next to no acceleration and sounding rough. I agree that it needs diagnostics at the shop to really tell what's going on.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had this reduced power business so often on my R56. It was a nightmare. I reckon I had it seven times over 3 and a half years, and 4 of them were in the last 12 months.

To resolve it in the past, it has required (in no particular order):

- new injector coils
- ECU upgrade
- new fuel pump
- another ECU upgrade
- just resetting as I only had it for another 5 weeks and the engineer said it was logging it as a wastegate issue, but he couldn't see anything wrong. So it'll be someone else's issue now!

I loved my R56, but it never got bored of letting me down. Quite why I've stuck with them for an F56 I'll never know!

·
Registered
9 Posts
A friend of mine recently purchased a new F54 Clubman about a month ago. He had a CAN-BUS alarm installed shortly thereafter. He had been using the car and alarm just fine until a day ago. He said he did not drive it for 2 days, and then the third day he started the car and saw the "Increased battery discharge" message. So it's not clear if it is something he did while driving that first month or if it is the alarm. He says the alarm draws only 9mA average current (when the vehicle CAN is sleeping). Would the sensor(s) in the F54 trigger the message if an accessory add-on used only 9 or 10mA of current for 2 days? Even 30mA of average current draw isn't going to zap a good battery in two days. Any thoughts? Is it really the 9mA car alarm? Could it be an ECU bug? Bad battery (even though the car is only 1 month old)? Bad IBS in the battery ground cable? Something else?

The down side is that if he visits his dealer and tells them he has a car alarm, they most likely wouldn't even investigate further and just tell him, "that's likely the problem, and we don't support third party accessories."

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
Yours is an r series so there are people on other forums with a lot more knowledge ,however a lot of us have had r series cars and may help. This engine does suffer coking which would give the symptoms you describe: check with mini dealers that they have the kit (walnut shell decoke)it's reasonable ie between 2-500£ but an italian tune up may help; stick a fuel system cleaner in add shell vpower nitro and thrash it hard! Motorway plus high ie rev limit revs!

·
Registered
9 Posts
As I said, my friend's Clubman is the new "F-series." It's F54. It is NOT "R-series."

Ditto my previous post. I still am curious if this could be an ECU bug, or a bad IBS sensor in the ground cable (unlikely on a 1-month-old car), or a bad battery (again, unlikely), OR if whatever voltage/current sensor(s) is used will trigger the message even if small current is drawn. Will 9mA average current drawn over two days really trigger sensors in an F54, or any other MINI? If so, it's worrisome as such would prevent us from installing most aftermarket electronics.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Never do an Italian tune up when you've a dash light flashing re. engine issues. I did once in a Mondeo TDCi years ago, having foolishly taken the same advice, and I will never forget the sound of the conrods smashing through both sides of the engine block. Oil seals on the turbo let go at high revs, ate the engine oil from the sump, resulting in seized engine, much heart ache, and plenty of £££ to put right. The EML was telling me the turbo was failing, and I did the exact opposite to what I should of done.

Just saying...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.