Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm intrigued by the adjustable drive modes in my Mini. Can someone explain how this is done: like a mixture of fuel/air injection and timing changes? How does this lead to fuel economy, particularly in Green mode. Finally, I recently switched to Regular gas 87 octane and find no apparent difference.:confused:

·
Registered
478 Posts
The driving modes will make little change to the air/fuel and timing, its more about "feel" and the mapping of the accelerator pedal movement and the amount the throttle is opened. i.e. in sport when you have pressed the pedal 50% the throttle will be 75% open. There is a little extra fuel added to make the pops and bangs in sports mode but the fuel and timing will be much the same in all modes.

In green the throttle response is killed, and other functions other functions are scaled back, like heated seats.

Basically you could drive as green or as sporty in normal mode as you can in the specific mode, its just easier to drive green in green mode and sporty in sports mode.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I'm intrigued by the adjustable drive modes in my Mini. Can someone explain how this is done: like a mixture of fuel/air injection and timing changes? How does this lead to fuel economy, particularly in Green mode. Finally, I recently switched to Regular gas 87 octane and find no apparent difference.:confused:
Nothing that complex:
SPORT will change:
- Throttle mapping (more sensitive gas pedal)
- Heavier, more direct steering
- More aggressive shift points if you have a automatic
- Pop and burble effect from the exhaust on overrun
- If you have Dynamic Dampers, the shocks stiffen as well for tighter feeling handling

GREEN will change:
- Throttle mapping (less sensitive)
- MUCH more conservative shift points (again, if you have an auto box)
- Dials back power used for climate control functions and seat heaters
- "Coasting" mode on automatics - car will go into neutral over 30 mph if the gas pedal isn't being pressed

Also, you paid a decent amount of money buying a MINI - please don't cheap out and use 87 octane! :crying: You may not feel it, but you can cause damage to the engine long term.

Reactions: hotrunner

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
As a direct comparison from green mode to sport mode using the same driving route and similar driving style
Green mode i get about 5 lt per 100km
Sport mode is about 6.5 lt per 100km

Engine braking in sport mode is much more aggressive whilst green modehas a coast feature which disengages the drive train, like putting the car into neutral.
As stated above, the mapping is different so throttle sensativity is much better in sport mode.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts