Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't see much talk about oil consumption. So here's a snippet of what I found on BMW forum.

------------------
This note was copied from a BMW Technical Training manual
Engine Oil Consumption — Technical Service SI B11 03 13

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=874786

"All BMW engines (excluding Motorsport) can consume up to 1 quart of engine oil per 750 miles at any time. "

"Engines that are fitted with a turbocharger(s) will consume more engine oil than naturally aspirated engines (non-turbocharged engines). In this case, a turbocharged engine could require topping of engine oil more frequently. For vehicles with N63 and N63T engines, refer to SI B11 01 13 for additional details."

"...The additional oil that is consumed in a turbocharged engine is mainly due to the turbocharger lubrication requirements. Some of the engine oil normally migrates past the turbocharger turbine bearing seals and will enter the intake tract of the engine. "

"Oil Consumption specification:
- All BMW engines (excluding Motorsport) can consume up to 1 quart of engine oil per 750 miles at any time.
- Due to the increased engine power, all Motorsport engines can consume up to 2.5 quarts of engine oil per 1,000 miles at any time."

"Engine Speed and Load:
If vehicle operating conditions are severe, oil consumption will be higher than normal. Extreme load or continuous high engine speed will result in increased oil consumption."

"...The additional engine oil consumption of a turbocharged engine, as compared to a normally aspirated engine, is normal and not a defect..."
------------------

How often do you top off oil between oil changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
890 Posts
Never.

The last 4 new cars I have owned have never needed oil to be topped up between 12,000 mile oil changes.

That service bulletin seems to be a bit pessimistic. I wouldn't be pleased if I had to regularly top up a modern engine, turbo or not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never.

The last 4 new cars I have owned have never needed oil to be topped up between 12,000 mile oil changes.

That service bulletin seems to be a bit pessimistic. I wouldn't be pleased if I had to regularly top up a modern engine, turbo or not.

Technical Service SI B11 03 13 (UPDATED)
This Service Information bulletin replaces SI B11 05 84 dated March 1985.

My MINI SA gave me the same numbers as posted. I thought it was steep. Since I had to top my off my oil. I tend to drive on Sports + on long daily commute.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had a 2005 3.0d X5, a 2006 535d and a 2007 330d and never needed to give them any oil. My subsequent R53 S ran dry suddenly when I didn't bother checking the oil (I know) after leaving it 3 months after two years of it never using oil. New timing chain required. I bought my R56 S with 41,000 miles on the clock, and it never used any oil until it hit 75,000 where it got a taste for it. By 90,000 I was putting a litre in every 800 miles and by 95,000 I was putting a litre in every 400 miles. Which is why some other poor sod has it now and I ordered an F56 and bit my nails for 9 weeks until it was delivered. I was told by the dealer I used at the time that I should consider myself lucky as the tolerance on the F80 M3 was a litre to 500 miles or something! I'm sure I've read that the oil is deliberately used by the engine to prevent carbon build-up on engine parts and burned off as part of its normal running cycle and hence it is consumed. I wish it wasn't, but it would seem to be a fact of life on modern units. At least I don't have to worry about my difficult to read old Cooper S dipstick now and if the reading is wrong it's my car's fault. I'm checking it once a week...

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
It's not just BMW who say this but Audi & Mercedes...

The N14 is prone to oil use but I had 3 and never topped up, a race engineer once said to me the cars with problems are the ones that have been run in, he also said drive it as its meant to be driven from day one which I have, they also benefit of a good thrash every week...

Personally this is great advise....:)

The bit about it stopping carbon build up is a load of bull, certainly doesn't stop carbon build up on valve in N14s...

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
The old thrash it from New thing again. The manual says no. But too many constant runs are terrible or so they say. No oil useage in a very carefully run in mini Cooper r series cabrio. Or Cooper s with 40,000 miles Zero useage at 12 k miles in an f56.carefully run in.

·
Registered
375 Posts
No issues with oil here after 13.000 kilometers. I was carefull but not too carefull the first 1500 kilometers.

I always warm up the engine and oil temperature and don't rev it over 2500/3000 rpm before everything is warmed up. After that the fun begins. Fuel consumption you say? Ah maybe step two in this technique explains my high average fuel consumption...buth then again that's why I bought the "S".

Always treated my cars like that and never had issues with oil consumption. Lucky? Maybe...who will tell. Maybe it helped that I never had to tow any trailer or other heavy stuff behind my cars. I don't like horses and I don't have enough money to buy a boat :D

·
Registered
769 Posts
My R50 has 56,000 miles and my F56S just hit 14,000 miles. Neither car consumes oil, and they both get oil changes every 6,000 miles.

·
Registered
Mini Cooper S F55 LCI (20)
39 Posts
Just bumping this thread as I'd be interested in any experiences in oil top-ups in between changes.

I've had my F55 Cooper S from new and had the oil changed at 10,000 miles. During that first year I regularly did the electronic level test and there was no change.

In the next few weeks I'll be arranging for a 2nd oil change (there'll be around 20,000 on the clock) but over the last few weeks I have observed a change in the electronic level. I can't remember the exact date but a couple of weeks ago it had fallen below the max mark, and yesterday it was just under halfway down between the max and min mark. No change in engine performance/function as far as I can tell and no signs of leaks, although I haven't been past the under-tray.

Trying to decide if this is normal or otherwise.

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
Well we have an N14 engined roadster s and 30k miles on doesn't and has never used a drop between services (circa 5k miles so low). WE've had F 56, F54 Cooper S and an F54 JCW and neither ever used a drop of oil ever. I didn't even realise the electronic dipstick moved from max!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.