Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So for a few months now I have had a rattle coming from my engine - Mainly when moving off from stationary but also when cruising while using very little throttle. The rattle goes away as soon as you put the foot down a bit.

About 2 months ago I took my car into my local dealership. They came to the conclusion their was a fault with the turbo and therefore replaced the Turbo and Wastegate (which was covered by warranty).

However, this didn't make the slightest bit of difference. The rattle is now louder than it has ever been so I took my car back to the dealership and after some discussions, one of the Technicians asked me to take him on a test drive to show him what I'm hearing. He seemed to be pretty confused by the noise, stating - "None of the cars I've worked on have ever made that noise".

Anyway, after some discussion with him he seemed to think it was the wastegate - but this has already been replaced.

So basically, I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar issue or knows what is causing this?

The car is booked to go back into the workshop in a few days but I figured I'd try here to see if anyone had any idea.

Thanks in advance!

(Note: its an F56 Mini One that was delivered brand new in November 2014 and now has roughly 10,000 miles on it.)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Is it a rattle that varies with engine speed, or something like the exhaust tapping against something as the engine moves about under different loading?

Timing chain tensioners, clutch release bearings, gudgeon pins or main bearing faults can all cause rattles, among other things.

It is strange that it happens when moving off, which is an under load condition, but can also go away by putting the engine under load while at speed.

You should keep at them until they get one of their experienced travelling technicians to diagnose it. If that is the way Mini troubleshoot these sort of things. There are gadgets that can be used to identify internal engine noises if operated by competent users.

Your warranty will cover it anyway, but it must be a nuisance to say the least.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have these same symptoms in my 2009 Clubman S. I see it most right around 2k rpm and only under load. And it's most pronounced when the engine isn't fully up to temp. I have only just started looking for ideas online—I've not inspected the car myself yet. I just moved and all my tools are still in my old garage. Wanted to get an idea of what it could be first. Did any of you find out and what's the fix?

·
Super Moderator
8,741 Posts
Whatever it is it probably won't be the same as a 2009 has the n series engine. Your issue is very very likely to be the timing chain issue which affectscthe 1.6 Peugeot BMW joint design engine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I pulled into my parking space today and listened to the engine, it sounds noisier that my old R50 that has done 77k. It is just a general rattly noise, it has only done about 300mls. So does it get quieter as it beds in or are they noisy engines ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
having the same problem at 33000 km run

One day my lovely 2015 VO F56 sport of mine got ill

I had the same problem on the engine, it was on the rainy day and i figure this problem as i got off the highway. i felt it from the shaking foot brake pedal. The rattling felt most during the low RPM (2000) when shifted from stationary. As for from 4000 to 2000 theres a slight delay for the gas to closes up. It feels like the engine is holding up. However there's no noticeable problem at the higher RPM.

the engine got noisier than it usually is. it got this semi high pitched rattling sound.

as i got home i waited for the engine to cool off, then i open the oil tab, in concern of having a water hammered engine. I'm glad that the oil don't turn milky white. i was also concerned that it came from the engine mounting rack.

today i recalled that i haven't properly heat it up before use. and its raining cold outside. And its a wild run over an Audi TTs. It might be that the oil is not properly heated up.
i also did an oil measurement through the central computer. it got 3/4 oil in it.

as for the shaking on the pedal, i took a closer look, turns out it mainly caused by the disk brake that bends a bit, due to use.
i assume its normal after a good 33.000 km use

its 07 07 2016 today. i got it booked for repairmen at 12th 07 2016. tho this morning i tried to heat it up and after a while (approximately 10 - 15 mins) the rattling sound reduces. I'll soon take it down to the road. Lets see..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.