Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having seen posts referring to (eg) N14 engines I've been trying to find a decode for them - ie. what the different engine variants are and which body they might be fitted in. (I did find an explanation of the body codes, like F56, but nothing for engines.) Even Wikipedia seems to be lacking on Mini stuff.
Can anyone point to a list? Or just explain below if it's only a couple of alternatives. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
F56/55 doesn't use the N14 engine.

They use:

Petrol

• B38A12U0 - 1.2 Three Cylinder Turbo - 102 PS
  • B38A15M0 - 1.5 Three Cylinder Turbo - 136 PS
  • B48 - 2.0 Four Cylinder Turbo - 192 PS - 231 PS (depending on Cooper S or JCW)

Diesel

• B37C15K0 - 1.5 Three Cylinder Turbo - 95 PS
  • B37C15U0 - 1.5 Three Cylinder Turbo - 116 PS
  • B47 - 2.0 Four Cylinder Turbo - 170 PS

If you want details on the N14 engine you might be better off talking to a BMW forum or a forum for older MINI models.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ollie. I am enlightened :nerd:
Yes, in that case I probably saw the N14 on another forum - I lose track sometimes. Unfortunately the context/location of posts which just quote a code doesn't always make clear what cars might be involved.
Now I know I can ignore anything that isn't a B38 :) (or maybe B48 too as I guess they share some parts/design).

·
Registered
554 Posts
Do you think which one is better?
More powerful speed and best in reliability / durability ?
And why ?
Tnx

·
Registered
106 Posts
"F" platform also uses the B46 motor. Not sure if this is a USA only or not, but the only cars after 2014 that have the B48 is the JCW.
To be fair the B46 is so similar to the B48 you have to wonder why they even bothered to rename it.

That's why I didn't list it haha.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Just to clarify about the N14 engines..

Cooper S - 2007 - 2010
JCW - 2008 - 2012

:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to clarify about the N14 engines..

Cooper S - 2007 - 2010
JCW - 2008 - 2012

:)
Thanks. It was a thread on another Mini forum about (I think) excessive oil consumption. It was probably regarding 2nd gen cars (being N14). However, as engines sometimes bridge model changes it made me wonder if it might apply to mine ... and then made me further wonder how I'd know if any comments about any particular engine type applied to mine. Hence the OP.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
B46 changed a few things that didn't affect power output to give it lower emissions which brings to it SULEV status in the US. MPG got tweaked by ~1 MPG compared to the 2014 B48 Cooper S engine.

For anyone wondering about the different engine types here's a post I did last year on another forum:
There are quite a few engines MINI has used over the years. The "R" lettering refers to specific MINI models, which may have different engines used within that model. For example, the R56 came in Cooper, Cooper S, and JCW trims and used 6 different engines between the trims throughout it's life.

Here's all the engines I can remember sorted by model. I generalized a lot to keep it simple, which engines came out when and to what is...complicated, but this will give you a good idea where the different models and their engines line up :

1st Generation (Tritec Engines):
R50 Hardtop/R52 Convertible/R53 Cooper S Hardtop: W10 (Cooper) / W11 (Cooper S)

2nd Generation (Peugeot Engines):
R56 Hardtop (all trims)/R57 Convertible: N12 (Cooper) / N14 (Cooper S/*JCW)
2nd Generation LCI (Peugeot Engines):
R56 Hardtop/R55 Clubman/R57 Convertible/R58 Coupe/R59 Roadster/R60 Countryman/R61 Paceman: N16 (Cooper) / N18 (Cooper S/*JCW)

*JCW engines were technically the same engine with some slight modifications (different pistons, bigger turbo, different tuning)

3rd Generation (BMW Engines):
F56 Hardtop/F55 4-Door Hardtop/F54 Clubman/F57 Convertible/F60 Countryman: B36/B38 (Cooper) / B46/B48 (Cooper S) / B48M (JCW)

·
Registered
106 Posts
B46 changed a few things that didn't affect power output to give it lower emissions which brings to it SULEV status in the US. MPG got tweaked by ~1 MPG compared to the 2014 B48 Cooper S engine.

For anyone wondering about the different engine types here's a post I did last year on another forum:
There are quite a few engines MINI has used over the years. The "R" lettering refers to specific MINI models, which may have different engines used within that model. For example, the R56 came in Cooper, Cooper S, and JCW trims and used 6 different engines between the trims throughout it's life.

Here's all the engines I can remember sorted by model. I generalized a lot to keep it simple, which engines came out when and to what is...complicated, but this will give you a good idea where the different models and their engines line up :

1st Generation (Tritec Engines):
R50 Hardtop/R52 Convertible/R53 Cooper S Hardtop: W10 (Cooper) / W11 (Cooper S)

2nd Generation (Peugeot Engines):
R56 Hardtop (all trims)/R57 Convertible: N12 (Cooper) / N14 (Cooper S/*JCW)
2nd Generation LCI (Peugeot Engines):
R56 Hardtop/R55 Clubman/R57 Convertible/R58 Coupe/R59 Roadster/R60 Countryman/R61 Paceman: N16 (Cooper) / N18 (Cooper S/*JCW)

*JCW engines were technically the same engine with some slight modifications (different pistons, bigger turbo, different tuning)

3rd Generation (BMW Engines):
F56 Hardtop/F55 4-Door Hardtop/F54 Clubman/F57 Convertible/F60 Countryman: B36/B38 (Cooper) / B46/B48 (Cooper S) / B48M (JCW)
You're missing all the diesel engines.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You're missing all the diesel engines.
I'm US based...what diesel engines? :D

I didn't list the diesels because I'm not as familiar with those nor the MINI One engines, both of which we have never had this side of the pond.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It is still somehow confusing regarding the engines, at least for Europe:

BMW uses the exact engine (B48A20) for powering also X1 xDrive 25i.
This gives same power (170kW, 231PS) but the torque is 350Nm instead of 320Nm for the Mini JCW!
This is 10% more torque, out of where??? And the power remains unaffected?

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
If you reckon engines are confusing try reading about the oils they can be filled with .i feel a new thread coming on!

Reactions: uke

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
It is still somehow confusing regarding the engines, at least for Europe:

BMW uses the exact engine (B48A20) for powering also X1 xDrive 25i.
This gives same power (170kW, 231PS) but the torque is 350Nm instead of 320Nm for the Mini JCW!
This is 10% more torque, out of where??? And the power remains unaffected?
Power is the product of torque and rpm. So max power is generally found at high revs (say 6000) whereas max torque is typically found at about half that. Thus it is possible to make changes that increase the max torque at lower engine speeds, but those changes don't improve the torque at high speeds meaning it still drops off to the same as before. Hence the max power would be the same.
My guess for this case would be a different turbocharger characteristic giving bigger boost at lower rpm.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Power is the product of torque and rpm. So max power is generally found at high revs (say 6000) whereas max torque is typically found at about half that. Thus it is possible to make changes that increase the max torque at lower engine speeds, but those changes don't improve the torque at high speeds meaning it still drops off to the same as before. Hence the max power would be the same.
My guess for this case would be a different turbocharger characteristic giving bigger boost at lower rpm.
Your line of thought is correct. But in general this would be hard to apply to a turbo-charged engine that gives its max. torque from very low revs to high revs (up to 5.200RPM).
And again, here we are talking about exactly the same engine, so either BMW has worked some magic to produce 10% more torque for a different model, or it is messing up with its vehicle specifications.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts