Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help! I am new to the Mini family so I decided to go with the Non S base model first to ensure I wasn't in over my head. Needless to say, I am in love with my Mini and will be a lifetime driver of one from now on.

I am wondering if there is anything I can do to start upgrading the engine? If so, where can I get these parts? I am a Marine stationed in California so they have strict emission laws that I have to work with...

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
MMC, welcome to the forum. What is it you try to do to your Engine more Horse Power faster pick up? Here are some links that will give you and idea where to look. Where are you in California? My Buddies over at Mayhem Mini are a good source if you want to talk to somebody in person. I removed the stock air filter and installed a cold air intake. it will not give you an increase in hp but the engine breathes better. Also I just removed my stock muffler and had a Magnaflow muffler installed. That improved the pick up quite a bit at 2000 Rpm and up. The car seems to be quicker. Than there are go pedal some people swear by it others not so much. You can spend a lot of $$$ on mods there is always something for every pocket book. Check out the links below so you can get an idea and do not be afraid of asking questions here on this forum. We are a friendly bunch and glad to help a new Mini Owner.;)

http://minimayhem.com/

https://www.ecstuning.com/

http://www.minimania.com/

http://www.armytrix.com/Mini-Cooper-F56.php

http://www.nm-eng.com/nm648846-nm-eng-power-module.html

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Welcome Marine.
I have zero experience with the three bangers other than having one as a loaner, so I can't help you there. If you decide to upgrade suspension components or wheels I would recommend NM Engineering (linked above). I don't know if their power module will work with the 1.5 or not, but all you have to do is pick up the phone and give them a call. Ask for Jerry. I'm running a lot of NM equipment on my car and do not hesitate to personally recommend their power module, springs, rear sway bars, end links, lower control arms, stainless brake lines, and wheels.
Of course you wight want to take this with a grain of salt since it's coming from an old Retired USAF guy, :D

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
CA kind of sucks for mods because technically everything has to pass CARB, but some mods will be fine.

There's the Burger Tuning performance module for the B38 3-cyl, which is probably the best bang for the buck and takes 15 minutes to install:
http://burgertuning.com/MINI_B38_B48_JB4.html

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hey,

I'm in the same boat. There is not much you can do, ATM, with regards to the engine, and I'd wait until your Warranty is up until you start messing with the engine (as there is a lifelong back and forth between retunes and warranty coverage).

For me I went on Way Motor Works and picked up this AFE highflow dry matter, lifetime, filterl AFE highflow dry matter, lifetime, filter

And I picked up a Remus Sport exhaust, with non resonated front pipe. I love this thing! Remus Sport exhaust, with non resonated front pipe

If you really want to go with a tuning module, check out this.

Note: for any engine parts, you want to make sure the items are meant for the B38 engine model.

·
Super Moderator
8,822 Posts
Ok here goes the cynic(or cooper s owner?!!!!) may well say huh should have bought a cooper s. For not much more you get more power. Like wise the jcw owner may say the same about a coopers owner, and to be fair to get more power out of any engine you have to spend. More power more cash.. To get a cooper to s tune you may well need to spend far more than the difference. Tuning Chip free flow filter exhaust free flow cat bigger injectors bigger turbo etc but it must be posible since the bmw i8 has our engine producing (a probably very peaky and not suitable on its own ) over 200bhp. But thats not the point. If you like me are a cooper and fan u may have fallen in love with the fabulous 3 cylinder. (I couldve had the s or the jcw but chose the cooper) goes well and is economical and lighter than two litre hence helping handling. And it doesnt need a sound enhancer in the stereo. Sounds superb imo. I am happy with the power as it is but its possible. Just look what lohen get out of the r series.trouble is the cooper is more aimed at the mainstream buyer compared to the s or jcw which will attract more enthsiasts (only my opinion) so the demand might not be there but if it is and they can sell we will see more mods become available. Any way just my ramblings.please let us know how the tuning goes but dont ruin your warranty!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the 1.5l as well and love it. I don't care what I have i am always trying to modify it and squeeze out a bit more form it. What is the HP upgrade number when using the Burger tune? I looked on their forum and wasn't able to find anything. Also, has anyone seen a catch can kit out for this motor or is it not needed with the new design?

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Jeremy, I agree somewhat with your statement but the extra HP on the MCS/JCW sure does not help when you are stuck in Rush Hour Traffic.:D:D The problem I see with buying a Mini of the lot is that Dealer most of the time spec there cars wrong(too many options that a lot of buyers do not want/need wrong color combos too many auto boxed not enough manuals etc etc) just saying. If I would replace my 1.5 for a MCS right now there is not one car from San Diego to Las Vegas to the 3 Dealers here in Arizona that would tickle my wallet to open up.:|

Sure you can order you new car but honestly if I drop so much $$$$ I want to take my new Baby home.:)

·
Registered
769 Posts
Jeremy, I agree somewhat with your statement but the extra HP on the MCS/JCW sure does not help when you are stuck in Rush Hour Traffic.:D:D The problem I see with buying a Mini of the lot is that Dealer most of the time spec there cars wrong(too many options that a lot of buyers do not want/need wrong color combos too many auto boxed not enough manuals etc etc) just saying. If I would replace my 1.5 for a MCS right now there is not one car from San Diego to Las Vegas to the 3 Dealers here in Arizona that would tickle my wallet to open up.:|

Sure you can order you new car but honestly if I drop so much $$$$ I want to take my new Baby home.:)
One thing you can do is to go to your dealer with your list of what you must have and what options you are flexible on and have them search all of the MINI dealers for a match, the dealer can also see what are on ships in transit. If they find one that meets your wish list they make a phone call and make a trade.
I've noticed the dealer websites are not updated regularly or very accurate with stock. I was at the MINI of Las Vegas dealer for a MINI club meeting and there are cars on their lot that are not on their website.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have the 1.5l as well and love it. I don't care what I have i am always trying to modify it and squeeze out a bit more form it. What is the HP upgrade number when using the Burger tune? I looked on their forum and wasn't able to find anything. Also, has anyone seen a catch can kit out for this motor or is it not needed with the new design?
I thought catch cans were universal, and that all you had to do was buy the kit, mount the parts, and run the piping from your pcv valve (or whatever its called),

·
Registered
75 Posts
Some setups require a special adapter to work. I know my MKV GTI had to have a special block off plate. I'm not too sure though that this newer designed motor even requires one though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just put a Dinan sport very easy install with a K&N just the replacement flat panel it is 1/3rd thinner
and the induction system on the 1.5 is good
you can control the settings on your phone all this for 600 canadian approx 20 to 30 horsepower increase 91 octane a must
i am totally satisfied S power on a base budget
i have a 2015 base 1.5 turbo this engine produces 226 horsepower in a BMW I8

enjoy
George

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.