Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and first Mini purchase!
I am buying a new Convertible Cooper S.
Question.
In the tech data from 2020 the engine is listed as 192bhp.
The 2021 listing has it as 178bhp.
I completely understand that the reduced bhp is due to going from European EU6 to EU6-RDE2 compliance.
My question is... the performance figures are identical - How can a drop of 14bhp still give exactly the same torque, 0-60 and top speed figures?!
I can see the slight drop in CO2 emissions, which I guess is what the new regulation is all about, but how is performance not affected?
Not mechanically inclined (obviously) but could someone who is explain this to me please?
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
It could just be a mistake and the new figures should be a little bit slower.

Or it could be a number of things. For a start peak torque and peak BHP are just that... peak. It could be the new spec produces more power than the old engine over the rev range, just not the same peaks.

Or it could be the new spec has better grip (new traction control, better gearbox or something) which results in a quicker than otherwise 0-60. And maybe it has a lower drag factor meaning it then does the same top speed.

There could be many more reasons.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From Mini.... "So yes, there is a decrease in BHP from 192 to 178, but a boost function has now been added to the MINI Cooper S Convertible models. This means that a temporary increase in power is available for short periods of time. Therefore the drivability remains very similar to pre-11/20 built vehicles. And it is due to this that the acceleration times remain unchanged."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts