Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

BMW 1 series driver here, got a VIP invite to the F56 launch and test drove the Cooper S the next day.

I WANT IT SO BAD!

I've now got an agonising 12 month wait before I can order my next car :crying:

In the meantime, I look forward to seeing everyone else's Cooper S's!

Cheers

G

·
Registered
360 Posts
Welcome Big G. At least a 1-series is a decent car, I pick up my MCS this weekend and I'm currently driving around in a Yaris.........

I was toying with a 135i coupe at one stage, what version do you have?

At least you can think about a specification; many of us ordered blind without seeing trims etc. in advance!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a 2012 120d Sport, lots of toys. It's a company car, hence why I need to wait until the lease is out before I can order again.

It's a superb car, but it's not that exciting, especially being a diesel. The Cooper S makes me feel 18 again! ;)

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Welcome.
We are lucky enough to have a 1 series and a MCS in the family. It is nice to switch between the two:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you like the Cooper S better than your 1-series? What is that based on? The styling? The driving experience? ???
You can't really compare directly, but i'll articulate below.

It might sound strange to say, but the Mini actually feels a little bigger in the front due to those large doors and the huge amount of unobstructed glass - you feel like you can see more from the sides and out the front (I have a 5 door 1 series). The F56 also appeals to me because it's a little safer and more grown up than the previous generation Mini. It feels more BMW - I certainly agree with all the comments by the reviewers that it's got a "more grown up feel". I am not sure if Mini purists will enjoy that aspect, but coming from a 1 series then it feels very familiar to me from a BMW perspective.

The interior styling is also closer to BMW than before which suits me as a BMW fanboy ;).

Since my 120d is a diesel, it's not got a sporty edge. Yes, it's got loads of torque and it is actually quite quick, but it doesn't make you feel good. When I got in the Cooper S, it felt sporty and low slung. Call my a boy racer, but I loved the pops and burbles coming off the gas and the swoosh / chatter of the turbo. It made me feel alive and excited, but still surrounded by the comfort of a BMW. Since I'm up and down the motorway, I liked being able to switch it back into comfort mode - the noise went down and the ride softened up. This is important to me - I want to be comfy on the commute, but have some fun on the weekend.

Most importantly - the price. As a company car driver, CO2 and list price are important to me. My 120d cost me about £30k (I added a lot), but a well specced Cooper S is coming in at about £23k - that's a £7k saving, so I'm actually a lot better off moving to a Cooper S. It's a bit of a no-brainer as long as I can live with the limiting practicality.

Another important point - I've seen some reviewers complain about wind noise at speed. It may shock some of you, but the Cooper S was actually QUIETER at 70 MPH than my 120d was! There was less wind noise on the Cooper S, it's actually made me realise that my 120d is probably not the best for motorway cruising with regards to noise.

All in all, I love the sporty element mixed up with big heaps of BMW. I feel like I'm still staying with BMW, but with the added excitement that's missing from the 1 series.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
That is exactly why my 1 series is one of these...

BMW M135i by Washy82, on Flickr

I actually moved on from a FJCW to this as I wanted something a bit more refined. Having the F56 in the family is great as I get to have a bit of fun with it (and I had forgotten how much fun they were) but still have my more serious car for daily use.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I should add that I have been on holiday from work this week and the BMW has not been out of the garage. We have chosen to take the MINI instead. So goes to show how good I think it is.:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
MINI choice

Big G - Very interesting take at the new F56 - I fully share - as it lead me to order as a new car for my wife new Cooper - expected delivery early May - supposedly already produced as I got the VIN number yesterday - does anyone know how to trace it's current location please? In USA there is well functioning Owners Lounge with this functionality - but does not recognize EU VINs - and I have not found anything like this here in Europe yet.

When I was looking for third purely city use car as add on to my R class, her loved Jeep Liberty 3.7L Ltd now aging a bit but not leaving our family anymore - so we tested Smart, Smart Electric, BMW i3, new A-class, new GLA class, B-class and MINI Cooper - by far my wife had biggest smile from driving the Cooper - in addition it being her life long dream car too....so guess what I have ended ordering - new MINI!

Why not other choices tested - Smart - sub-par riding quality (much stiffer than new MINI), except for Brabus version also lackluster performance, but OK inside and easy to get in and out - only two seater preventing occasional lift to one of our kids. Also noise and fuel consumption quite bad with the petrol versions, D version very very very slow...on the other hand probably the most rational choice of all - it would paid for itself in just 6 years from fuel savings compared with Jeep - but my wife concluded than she would rather stay with her Jeep for five more years than switching to Smart...

A-class - I really like my MB dealer - they take great care of me so I wanted to remain with their services also with our third car (they still service after warranty also Jeeps) - but the doors are strangely small and with my 190cm height quite difficult to get in - though design / performance-wise and riding quality very good - my wife commented it would be the very first MB she likes design-wise. The very same comments on the GLA as well - a bit higher ride - but the same strange small doors for me to get in and out.

B class - ugly but very practical - got offered almost unbeatable deal - just my wife refused to drive it....

BMW i3 - fantastic performance - I was really astonished with the acceleration and handling - but rather unorthodox design not to everyone's liking - plus price from the other world too....though unbeatable low operating costs - due to it's high price paid back within 12 .4 years compared with fuel savings from Jeep city driving (my wife does 12 - 15K / year).

On the other hand MINI - I always liked it - especially the Coopers from 90ties with very wide and short stance and great performance...but needed family hauler back than - the new one surprisingly roomy - and easiest to get in and out of it even for my size (this surprised me the most - as I expected superb performance by definition) - and with the new generation of BMW engines it is best performing with lowest fuel consumption and CO2 emissions from all cars tested excl. electrics - this PLUS unbelievable great performance and fun factor when driving it - hope my wife will let me drive it too... the practical part of it being, that as we plan to hold onto this MINI until it lasts, it will completely pay itself in 10 years just on fuel savings compared with her Jeep city driving....I guess rationalizing a bit otherwise more emotional choice of MINI.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is exactly why my 1 series is one of these...

BMW M135i by Washy82, on Flickr

I actually moved on from a FJCW to this as I wanted something a bit more refined. Having the F56 in the family is great as I get to have a bit of fun with it (and I had forgotten how much fun they were) but still have my more serious car for daily use.
Nice! Unfortunately the CO2 is too high for one of these. I used to have a 260bhp Z4 3.0si and the BMW straight six was a slinky delight, so I would imagine the 135i is even more special.

Washy, what is it about the F56 Mini that makes it so addictive? I can't quite put my finger on it?

Also, do you know what I mean about the space in the front of the F56 Mini? It doesn't really feel smaller to me, but then you've got a three door so maybe it feels more spacious than the 5 door due to the bigger doors.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I don't know why, but I too think the front of the F56 is really roomy. It seems a long way to the windscreen.
As for the addiction I think that somehow they have almost pulled off the impossible with the F56. A grown up refined package that still is a blast to drive and a lot of fun. I t really feels that special to me:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts