Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from checking out prices for ceramic coating and I have to pass on it for the moment.:(:( the $ 1500.00 what they are charging for a 2 year warrantied treatment will replace the Tile around my pool and with summer been here next month in Phoenix and Pool Parties coming up new tile it is.

So I did the next best thing and booked a Spa Treatment at my Buddies Car Wash/Detail Shop to give Karl and myself that new car smell again. $ 89.00 will get a shampoo on the inside and a buff job on the outside to get that sparkle back. They have been detailing my cars for the last 10 years and doing a fantastic job. So I am looking forward picking up the car with that shine like when he rolled off the show room floor tomorrow. Will post pics when Karl is all spiffy again.;)

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
Are they seriously charging $1500 for a ceramic coating??????
If its diamond encrusted i'd understand or if it was done in Dubai with gold but that just seems way over the top.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cessa, that was the cheapest I could have gone all the way to 5k for a Lifetime treatment.:eek:

Honestly if i would have the extra 5k laying around right now it would go towards a down payment on a melted silver JCW.

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
Cessa, that was the cheapest I could have gone all the way to 5k for a Lifetime treatment.:eek:

Honestly if i would have the extra 5k laying around right now it would go towards a down payment on a melted silver JCW.
That just seems crazy to me, it is more expensive to put a protective coating on a car than to totally re-spray it in any colour you want.
I'm sure people pay it otherwise they wouldn't be around to offer this service.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I checked out the shop they just wrapped a 100k plus gorgeous black 911 in a shinny red metallic like in the pic below. It looked like a cough drop from Zuffenhausen but hey somebody liked the color and paid for the job. What a crime it was.:(

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
HaHa, I'm sure when people see it, they will also get a lump in their throat and start choking.

399 euro is probably about right from my investigations, looking solely at Ceramic Pro H9 for 5 coats is about $1k.

I'm in 2 minds of going down this path or just clear coat it every 12 months.

From everything i can read, the ceramic coating (from multiple brands) doesn't protect the car from stone chips or medium duty scratches and after a small period of time, the rain drop beading tends to turn into puddles again. The warranties that are on these coatings are very flawed and you might have a hard time claiming on them. You need to annually have the coating inspected by the installer to warrant it put lets face it, that doesn't always happen.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I had mine done by a detailing friend, £200. The car feel like silk now, no idea how long it will last but can always get it done again.

I can't see any coating regardless of cost stopping a stone chip!

·
Registered
769 Posts
WOW $1500.00?! I'm looking into it as well since I've had my car a year and it's got some scratches and swirl marks I'd like removed. I'm not getting quotes nearly that high.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DR, they got there Business in Scottsdale that explains it all.:D:D Let me know the Name of the place you find I be in LV in May. I always can drop the car off get it done and pick it up the next day after the concert. I do not mind driving a couple of Miles to get a good deal.:D:D

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DR, they got there Business in Scottsdale that explains it all.:D:D Let me know the Name of the place you find I be in LV in May. I always can drop the car off get it done and pick it up the next day after the concert. I do not mind driving a couple of Miles to get a good deal.:D:D

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cessa, very happy with the result. I have been dealing with the same shop for the last 10 years they did all my Mercedes back in the days too never disappointed with there work.:)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I started detailing MITEY 2 today and I think we now have super glue filled bugs in KY! I am having a heck of a time removing them. I finally resorted to some Turtle wax tar and bug remover and I discovered I have to do it twice on some of the buggers! Almost done now and I have polished a good portion of it already. I think next time I will take it to the detailer that did my MB and now the corvette, soon the mini! I spent all day to get it looking just mediocre! My wife says it looks great, but I think she was just saying that to make me feel better. I spa for me and a couple of good drinks and things are better, I will start again tomorrow.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm so tired that I was confused on the subject matter in the initial post. At first I read that as you needed to get your pool ceramic coated especially around the tiles, and then every chimed in about the car and got really confused there lol

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Polaris, LOL my bad I should have been more clear about it. I was shopping around for ceramic coating here in Phoenix and the cheapest I could find was $ 1000.00 with a 2 year warranty. So instead I brought the Mini to the shop around the corner and had it detailed and I will use the 1k saved towards pool tile repair.;) I took the pics after I picked up the car from the shop today. I hope that will clear it up.:D:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.