Mini Cooper Forum banner

exhaust cracle\pop gone

14K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Jon KerrWilson 
#1 ·
Greetings fellow f56 owners! I seem to have ran into a problem recently. I have a 2015 cooper S with a nm power module and an intake! I also did an exhaust delete on the car, just hacked off the muffler and had a pipe with 3.5inch dual tips welded on! The car itself sounds great! aside from the crackles and pops, it isn't as obnoxious as it sounds on other coopers with my same mods to it. There is backfire but its more of a burble then an actual snap! Nor is it even loud to be honest it sounds like the car has walking farts lol. I guess im just wondering if there are any reasons why my exhaust is fairly quite compared to other coopers with similar custom exhausts! Thank you for your time and happy motoring all :)

#4 ·
Make sure your Sport setting has Engine (increased throttle response and pops/crackles) enabled as there is a setting to have either/or Chassis enabled (Steering weight and increased stiffness if you have Variable Dampers)

If still not working with above then maybe a trip to dealer is needed

#7 ·
Maybe I'm too new but the overrun of fuel to create the backfire may occur pre manifold but the resonation of the effect was likely in the exhaust. With the exhaust removed you would likely be getting the purest example of that effect in which it no longer has as much geometry to amplify the sound before exiting the system.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

#11 ·
My F56 has the second cat removed, the resonator, the muffler and a WMW Intake. It's basically straight piped from the downpipe the the tips. I have plenty of pops and burbles, and now with the resonator and second cat gone, I have a sweet turbo whistle through the exhaust. Honestly sometimes mine sound like gun shots. So, I don't think that the muffler being removed had anything to do with it.

For a little while I had just the muffler delete and I still had plenty of pops and burbles.

Well, I didn't bring you to an answer, but I can atleast help you rule out your exhaust modifications.

I however do not have the NM Power Module yet.

Maybe try removing it and seeing if the pops come back?

I hope that the NM module doesn't remove the pops :( I'd be a sad camper...

#12 ·
The NM module does not adversely impact the sounds in my mini, I have had it for over 10,000 miles and it actually increased the wonderful pops, gurgles, and fun sounds. I do have the JCW PRO exhaust and when that is open it definitely impacts the sounds in a positive manner. I have removed it twice and it actually reduces the sound and definitely reduces the performance, most notably in overboost.

#15 · (Edited)
Mine is a non s cooper but i think i have a slightly similiar problem, it used to make a popping sound on the first, second and third gear when in sport mode when i shift at high rpm now the pops is much much lower, you can barely hear them, i think it's because the car is now older and the exhaust is now full of carbon build up and it is not in the condition of a new one
Anyone knows a solution ?
My car is stock and now has 15000 km on the odometer

#16 ·
I have standard Cooper s, 2017, auto.
It doesn't hacve the green, sports, let's drive hard option but it does have sport/manual mode with paddle shift.
Without making any changes, will I get decent snap/crackle/pop with it being an auto as atm I only get a decent fart if I floors it as it goes from 2-3rd... apart from that I just normal exhaust roar and turbo whistle.
Will it get better with increased miles (not done 1000 yet).
I keep reading about changing something in the settings... could anyone guide me to the right place in the menu section to change the asd
Cheers

#17 ·
If you don't have the driving modes, no, it won't pop like a car with Sport Mode enabled. You can probably get it to pop a little if you stomp on it but Sport Mode sends small fuel droplets into the exhaust which forces the pops. There is nothing in the menu for active sound and if you do not have sport mode there is nothing in settings to change.

#18 ·
Although I don't have the sports modes on the bottom
Of the gearstick like in a jcw, the sports auto options are 1. Standard auto, paddle shift, and shift the gearstick left and the options are to use as a semi auto, shifting up and down using stick or paddles and "sports", which holds the revs longer etc - it does sound a lot meatier and responsive
I might have to upgrade the exhaust lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.