Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my cooper SD for a couple of months now and started to hear a sort of dump valve noise when I press the clutch on changing gears, it's more noticeable when I rev higher before changing. Is this normal for a diesel or is there something wrong with the car? It does sound nice and it generates alot of looks too. It kinda sounds like a ghost if a ghost made that noise lol

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've had my cooper SD for a couple of months now and started to hear a sort of dump valve noise when I press the clutch on changing gears, it's more noticeable when I rev higher before changing. Is this normal for a diesel or is there something wrong with the car? It does sound nice and it generates alot of looks too. It kinda sounds like a ghost if a ghost made that noise lol

I'm not sure how the diesels are, but that literally sounds like the turbo blow off.

It's pretty normal.

But that's just me. I may be wrong

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Mine hisses but only under acceleration and its the turbo for sure, doesn't sound like a ghost though... Maybe a snake. Mine is Auto though so maybe that's why it differs to yours.

·
Registered
406 Posts

I hear BMW does have a great service team to help solve those ghost problems

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well Well, I just noticed this driving home today. Had window open as nice and sunny and heard it straight away. Bear in mind only had car from new for 3 days so wouldn't have thought there would be anything wrong with it!

It's very noticeable if you accelerate quickly in low gear then lift off throttle. Must be a dump valve surely? Whatever it is it sounds great.

Now guys/gals please go out and try it with window open to see if you can hear it to put our minds at rest.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well Well, I just noticed this driving home today. Had window open as nice and sunny and heard it straight away. Bear in mind only had car from new for 3 days so wouldn't have thought there would be anything wrong with it!

It's very noticeable if you accelerate quickly in low gear then lift off throttle. Must be a dump valve surely? Whatever it is it sounds great.

Now guys/gals please go out and try it with window open to see if you can hear it to put our minds at rest.

Quick up-date on my previous post. I've spoken to the dealer as once I realised a diesel doesn't have a dump valve, I got pretty concerned because the noise certainly sounds like I have one.

Anyhow, head technician, mechanic or whatever they are these days believes it is just pressure release from somewhere and explained most turbo's have this. Erm well I don't know about that and the sound is very noticeable so not entirely convinced.

It could be that I'm just looking for issues when there aren't any. I mean there are no tell tale lights and power seems fine...

Anyone got any thoughts?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ok no one got any thoughts? Anyone at all hear what I hear? I've put a link to youtube vid that has the same noise. Although not convince it with be anything to do with the DPF regen as it's a new car. likely I'll be taking a trip back to dealer unless someone can put my mind at ease!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Sounds like a normal turbo valve sound to me... I'm not hearing anything out of the ordinary in that video

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ok for anyone else who is as paranoid as me, I can now safely say that the noise I was hearing is perfectly normal. The reason I now know this is that I took it to the garage. The head tech guy took it for a spin I confirmed the sound is a perfectly normal pressure release (must have thought I was a right bammer). Also took me a drive in their demonstrator to compare and it was exactly the same.

I can now forget this nonsense and just enjoy the car..... and the sound!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Peace of mind us a good thing! Happy motoring! :)

Reactions: jeff

·
Registered
266 Posts
The turbo blow-off sound is actually quite desirable to some. A lot of intake mods are designed to increase the loudness of this sound. The Gen3 minis appear to be quite loud without any modifications :)

Enjoy!

* wwwwhhhhhhooosh! *

1 - 15 of 15 Posts