Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 JCW 3dr
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :)

My 2019 JCW is informing me that I need new front brake pads. What concerns me is that the car has done only 8 500km since new. I do the occasional bit of spirited driving, a handful of km every few weeks, but the vast majority of the time I simply commute to work and back.

I'm accustomed to pads lasting a good deal longer than this. I'd regularly get 10 000km+ on my modified Subaru (and I drove that thing HARD). Are JCW pads really that soft, or is something amiss? The replacement is covered by the service plan, but this short lifespan still worries me.

I've attached a pic of the pad (other side of the car looks identical). I'm assuming it's the inner pads that are more worn?

Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
69 Posts
You are correct in questioning this - there's no way your pads should need to be replaced after only 8500km of mainly road driving.
.....& indeed those pads look almost brand new.
Also, the inner & outer pads should be wearing approximately evenly so I'd guess that they are all fine.
In that case it looks like possibly some sort of sensor error.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
2018 F56 JCW Auto

My Fronts lasted 28k miles.
My Rears latest 32k miles.

I don't drive like a granny. Something is wrong. A bad sensor maybe?

Service plan probably won't include wear and tear items like brakes, just scheduled servicing.

·
Super Moderator
8,224 Posts
These look fine to me. Must be a faulty sensor.

Reactions: busman

·
Registered
2019 JCW 3dr
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the input, everyone. I really appreciate it. Good to know I'm not losing my mind here :D

·
Registered
2019 JCW 3dr
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So my Mini went into the dealer yesterday, and I've just received a call saying it's ready. They say the pads did indeed need replacement. I mentioned to the service rep that this was unexpected given the condition of the pads, and her response was that this is a common occurrence with JCWs - she says many customers are needing to replace pads at 8 - 10 000km.

I asked if the service report indicated if if was perahps the inner pads that were worn, which I couldn't get to for visual inspection. The report didn't specify, so I asked her to inquire with the technicians who worked on the car. Will see what they say when I get there to pick up the car.

Given the information I have so far, either the inner pads wear MUCH faster than the outer (which is not good), or the wear sensor goes off WAY too early. Neither of these scenarios fills me with confidence... sigh.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
In my experience, you are being told a load of nonsense. My previous car, a 2016 JCW manual needed pads doing at 26k front and 30k rear.

The front pads on a JCW use thinner pads than on the other models, but 8000km is ridiculous.

·
Registered
62 Posts
They said they needed changing and when you went surprisingly they agreed with their own assessment that they did in fact need changing. 😂 With the amount of meat left on them I think I'd agree with Jeremybingham above and say I wanted to see them.

·
Registered
2019 JCW 3dr
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So things get more interesting. The workshop guys said it was the inner pads that had worn down, and the outer pads were fine. I did indeed ask to see the pads they had removed, but they claim these were already thrown away.

I managed to talk to one of the mechanics (as opposed to just the service rep), and asked him what he thought. He repeated the claim made by the service rep that 8 - 10 000km is pretty much normal. I then asked him why the inner pads wear so much faster than the outer ones (as they really should wear evenly if all the wheel geometry is set up correctly). His response? That the camber of our roads here causes the inner pads to wear faster...

Ummm... no... that's just not how physics works 😆. Honestly, I was dumfounded for a moment upon hearing this. Sure, the car being at an angle will have a really tiny effect, but this would occur on the inner pad on one side and the outer pad on the other side.

I even sketched a diagram with force vectors for him (I teach physics, so this part was kinda fun). His only response was "If BMW picked up there was any kind of issue they would tell us. Don't worry".

Don't worry? Dude, right now I'm not worried because the new pads aren't costing me anything. Next time, when the cost comes out of my pocket? Damn right I'm going to "worry" then.

I didn't want to be a dick and make a scene or anything, and I could tell that any further mathsing or physicsing would not help, so I thanked them and left. Not sure what (if anything) I should do next.

·
Registered
2019 JCW 3dr
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Addendum: Does anyone know if the JCW uses a fixed or floating caliper system?

·
Super Moderator
8,224 Posts
They're absolutely full of bull aren't they. Can't believe it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Maybe EBC could comment as they are on the forum

·
Super Moderator
8,224 Posts
I agree-come on EBC! THinking about pads and changing them over the years-they can wear one side more than the other-often the side with the piston wears more-this would be the inner on the Mini rears-usually imo caused by the pads not fitting too well in the caliper and therefore not sitting so well OR the sliding pins not sliding as much as they should-had some funny wear patterns over the years-but usually due to something being not quite right imo. But we need an expert here as I've simply deduced this over the years. I'm on the verge of taking our EV rear pads out-they are making a mess of the discs ie uneven wear. Think they need a good grease and clean up but never done an electric handbrake so not sure quite how to proceed-main dealers shift them with the computer I think?

Reactions: JCWNoob
1 - 16 of 16 Posts