Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Anyone did a retrofit from basic radio to nbt evo? What did you have to change?

I have noticed the following:

• middle console has no opening for an idrive controller so this needs to change
  • steering wheel controls need wiring?
  • how about the wires + plug for the buttons below the nbt screen
  • dab+, wifi, gps all can be fixed with dedicated connectors
  • ethernet wires from quadlock to oabr
  • what else is a major change? Led ring?

EDIT: found this regarding the retrofit. It seems to look easier than i thought
https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/navigation-and-audio/330939-finalized-my-project.html

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
looks amazing! if possible, could you share what you've done to get it to work? have the standard stereo on mine and i hate it, it looks incredibly ugly.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you dont have the led ring you might need to replace the wiring with new for the led ring. Also you need a power plug from the back of the screen. I was fortunate to find a dashboard wiring harnass of an f56 so i removed it from that and used it. For the idrive controller i used an evo adapter without an emulator. Quadlock is as is it fits so that doesnt need any modification.

Then we have the buttons under the screen which communicate with the radio over the data channel of the ihka (airco controls). There is no plug present so you need to build an adapter which taps from the ihka connector to the buttons.

My mid console was missing the opening for the idrive controller so i had to replace that.

Ethernet connection i couldn’t get working yet but yea i used an network switch with an oabr adapter. So i could flash the unit and load fsc packs on it over the network switch. After that oabr connection is not really needed anymore

Basically you need to study the wiring diagrams man, i can explain all. For that i need to make an how to, which takes 10 pages

Long story short. It is possible, if you seriously want to do it pm me we can have a chat about it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts