Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered 2015 MCS / built July 7 / in port July 29. . Waiting on EPA delivery delay (Oct !)

Looking for comments / thoughts on the Mini Extended Warranty offered by the dealership for $2,900. I am strongly considering as I plan to to keep the vehicle for at least 5 years / 18k miles a year.

Any movement with dealers regarding price negotiations?

·
Registered
844 Posts
That price sounds very high, I thought the US was cheaper - the cars certainly are.

Is the new car warranty 2 or 3 years?

Are there after market companies that offer warranties? I would consider that route.

·
Registered
11 Posts
New car has 4-year or 50K miles warranty in US. I took delivery of my base model yesterday. I didn't remember the exact number but the XXL plan was 3000+ if I recall. The dealer said more than once that the price is negotiable. Still, I didn't feel like to spend a couple thousands to buy 2 more year of warranty so I declined. I don't know if my decision is right or wrong. This is my first European car. If it comes to too much headache to keep the car after 4 year, I will use the saved EW money to promote it in used car sales.

From what I have learned one of the US arm force offer was $1600-$1700. I don't qualify so didn't bother to read the detail.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I looked around, there should be a separate Topic for Warranties, but here goes.

So Far,

I've received conflicting information from two separate dealers. I was told you have 10 days or 10k miles after vehicle purchase to decide on Extended Warranty.

You can Purchase the Warranty (Mini not aftermarket) from any dealer. Prices for the XL (6yr 70k)warranty for the same car have ranged from $2195.000 to $2578.00. Prices for XXL have ranged from 2995.00 to $2645.00 (6yr 70k) for the same car.

Prices are negotiable

This is not the extended Maintenance Warranty which I haven't delved into yet.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Negotiate.

Ordered 2015 MCS / built July 7 / in port July 29. . Waiting on EPA delivery delay (Oct !)

Looking for comments / thoughts on the Mini Extended Warranty offered by the dealership for $2,900. I am strongly considering as I plan to to keep the vehicle for at least 5 years / 18k miles a year.

Any movement with dealers regarding price negotiations?
A good friend of mine used to sell extended warrantees. He sold me mine for a Chevy ( back in 1990) for $200, for an extra 3 years. There's a lot of mark-up. NEGOTIATE.;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
The best way to look at extended warranty is extra insurance that covers non accidental damage to expensive mechanical components. And then decide how much is that worth to you. Is it worth paying the extra for piece of mind.

My wife and I were originally going to get a Mazda having had amazing luck with a Mazda MX3 and two MX5's in the last 20 years. But after the MX5 I like driving too much to be satisfied with an appliance and wanted something interesting. The Mini checked all boxes nut previous gens are notoriously unreliable, otherwise we might have gotten one sooner. Later current gen models have above average projections.

We just bought one with comprehensive 8 year/100k warranty through to 2025 which will see us past our car payments and costs less than $35 a month over 8 years. That makes total monthly payments on our Cooper S currently $124 a month for fully comprehensive Insurance and extended warranty. Spreading it out over 8 years. Warranty includes things like rental car and accommodation up to $250 a night if we get stranded somewhere should the car break down.

Since we have three pugs we take everywhere and hot summers, the piece of mind made it worth it for us. We also have AAA with 100 mile towing. So if the Mini turns out for the worse, we are prepared and still have a MX5 garaged on classic car insurance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts