Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that the new F54 clubman has a sharkfin areial. Was just wondering if anyone knew if it would be relatively easy to buy the bits and retrofit it to a F56 / F55 MCS?? IMHO, it would look even better than a stubby aerial.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The parts list shows the same number for an F56 basic aerial and the F54 basic aerial (item 1 below), so it looks like the base will be the same for all of them.

However, the F54 has an extra item (5) called 'aerial probe' which is not shown on the F56, so that may be needed for the sharkfin aerial to work.

You can of course bet that the wiring for the illuminated version of the sharkfin aerial (item 2) won't be present on the F56.

So, in conclusion, that's a definite maybe....

·
Registered
41 Posts
looking at those images, I'd guess that Item 4 is the F56 equivalent of the aerial Probe so I bet its a non starter.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You may be able to but you would have no FM/AM reception. On the Clubman, the FM/AM antennas are built into the back windows. Not the case with the F56/F55. There is A antenna for FM on the back window, but I don't think it would be enough to get reliable reception. You can try unscrewing the aerial off the top and see how it is affected.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The parts list shows the same number for an F56 basic aerial and the F54 basic aerial (item 1 below), so it looks like the base will be the same for all of them.

However, the F54 has an extra item (5) called 'aerial probe' which is not shown on the F56, so that may be needed for the sharkfin aerial to work.

You can of course bet that the wiring for the illuminated version of the sharkfin aerial (item 2) won't be present on the F56.

So, in conclusion, that's a definite maybe....

Did you find out whether the illuminating shark fin is plug and play? I never listen to the radio so it's not a deal breaker if it doesn't work as an aerial... As long as it flashes....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.