Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a late 2019 F54 with 19" wheels and standard dampers & normal tyres (not run-flat), I find the ride to be a bit too harsh and crashy at times as some of the roads where i live aren't great and the section of the M25 near Reigate is very unpleasant, however i love the car. I also have a 2016 F56 Cooper S on 18" which to be honest is better suited to the roads near me. I am thinking or changing the springs to Eibach Pro-Kit springs but would like to find out if anybody else has tried it and is it any better than stock - i.e. ride comfort & handling as i don't want it any harsher than it already is, or has anybody else chosen another option principally for ride quality on longer runs?.
I also don't really want to go to the expense of coil overs just yet if i can avoid it.
Also if i change the springs will it invalidate the warranty? - it still has a bit to run
Another option is to fit Cooper S All4 springs if i can get hold of some (they still sell that model in the USA) but getting part numbers is proving a challenge and will they fit the stock JCW damper / struts?

Many thanks Jason

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just traded in an F55 cooper S which ran 17" wheels with Pirelli P7 runflats for an F54 cooper S (non all4) which has 18" wheels and bridgestone Turanza T005 runflats. I was expecting the ride to be worse, but so far it's been surprisingly refined, certainly no worse. The best ride I've had was on my winter wheels, which were nokian runflats but on a 16" wheel. I'm assuming your tyres are 225/40R18?

As to changing things during the warranty, I think you would be on seriously dodgy ground fitting anything non standard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just traded in an F55 cooper S which ran 17" wheels with Pirelli P7 runflats for an F54 cooper S (non all4) which has 18" wheels and bridgestone Turanza T005 runflats. I was expecting the ride to be worse, but so far it's been surprisingly refined, certainly no worse. The best ride I've had was on my winter wheels, which were nokian runflats but on a 16" wheel. I'm assuming your tyres are 225/40R18?

As to changing things during the warranty, I think you would be on seriously dodgy ground fitting anything non standard.
Thanks for the info, i must admit i would prefer to stay with BMW parts, i believe the JCW is available in some markets with the standard (Cooper S) suspension, however it is really difficult to find out, PN's appear to be driven by VIN's
My dealer says in theory it should be OK but BMW don't quote the downgrade in their UK market repair procedures so they can't do it but they do quote a Cooper S All4 going to JCW suspension

·
Registered
F54 Clubman S All 4
79 Posts
Your 18” have 40 profile and with regular tires should be a decent drive. My winter set up is 18’s on runflats and it’s not the worst. I live in Montreal, the roads are notoriously bad. My summer set up is 19’s (on normal tires) and I’m lowered on AC Schnitzer springs with DDC, which I leave in medium regardless of the driver setting. After the springs settled, the ride is pretty comfortable. Definitely not worse than stock, better composed in turns and a nice looking drop. If you’re looking for comfort and want to lower your car, you may want to size your rims down to 17’s. For the record, I have a Clubman S all4.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Jeheh, thanks for the info, I know some of the roads you are driving on as my cousin lives in Kingston. I had another look at my rims and they are the 19" with normal 235/35 profile tires so this probably doesn't help. However i am interested in your AC Schnitzer springs, when you say your ride is not worse to stock and pretty comfortable are you comparing this to your original Cooper S springs? and were these original springs "Standard" or optional Cooper S "Sport" springs (similar to JCW)?, i also had a quick look online at Schnitzer and it says the drop is 15-20mm which sounds great as I live in a national park and the roads can be bad in places plus there are some traffic calming bumps in places which i don't want to ground out on, how do you find it for looks / grounding?
Many Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
F54 Clubman S All 4
79 Posts
I have an F54S with DDC. To my knowledge the springs all have the same rate. They were ok, a little sloppy and the shock absorbency is defined by the ddc setting (and tires). My 19”s are on 225 tires and my rims are 7.5 wide. Your 235 tires are probably on 8” rims but you’d have to check the actual diameter of both, the side wall height is 35 profile for both the diameter is probably a couple % different (but both in oem settings).

My drop was probably 25mm. The JCW springs are 10mm lower than the S, so they say 15mm which would apply if you’re lowering a JCW. If you’re lowering an S, it’s 25. I like the ride… and the kids/wife dont complain.

This is what it looks like settled.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the photo, youve got a good looking car, the photos is really helpful and also the comparison to OEM springs, definitely another one to add to the list. I am now torn between Eibach and Schnitzer. The information about JCW 10mm drop is also really useful.
Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
F54 Clubman S All 4
79 Posts
Thanks! Schnitzer does not make their performance parts, it’s contracted out to a reputable manufacturer and the parts are made to their specifications. I actually thing eibach makes theirs too.

They charge a bit for their name, but I seen them more as oem+ than aftermarket seeing as their experience and catalog of products is mostly geared to BMW enthusiasts. No regrets here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a look at the warranty and AC Schnitzer say that if BMW don't cover it they will and they are also homologated, so now most likely to go for those even if they are made by Eibach and just rebranded. I'll send an update when i get them fitted.
Many thanks for the advice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts