Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We used this facility properly today for the first time today, on a 3 hour, 200 mile journey. All went well initially, for about 2 hours, with the Google Maps and Spotify doing their thing. But after about 2 hours, the system crashed due to an iPhone "Overheat" situation.

Has anyone else experienced this? It doesn't seem right that it happens, but we did cool the iPhone via an open window and normal service was resumed?

The iPhone is a 6S and is in a (made for iPhone 'MFI') charging case.

I don't think driving with the central armrest up, to aid cooling is a good solution, even though it seemed to work?

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same problem?

·
Registered
31 Posts
As I understand it the armrest is supposed to have a fan in it to stop this from happening, may be worth checking it is working and not blocked.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Stuart, didn't know that? Will have a look tomorrow and see if I can spot anything untoward?

·
Registered
2020 Moonwalk Grey LCI F56 S (Salt) (Current) / 2006 Pure Silver R53 (Hot Chili) (Former)
21 Posts
The iPhone itself crashed with the yellow warning sign or did the Mini head unit crash? There is indeed a fan on one side of the armrest but that's to keep the coil from the wireless charger itself cool, not the phone. I'm guessing the charging case itself gets too hot, and in turn, increases heat on the iPhone, do take into account that aluminium was used for the 6S and that's a terrible heat insulator compared to the more recent "glassback" iPhone models.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alex, yes it was the iPhone that crashed, with the over temperature warning. I suspect you may be correct that it is the Qi charger case that is the problem? Perhaps the other half will need to upgrade to an iPhone 8? Possibly we will have to drive with the armrest cover open, to prevent it happening again? I still need to check the cooling fan however.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just had a quick check and I can see the ventilation slots in the armrest, no obstructions. Put the phone in place without the ignition on and the phone went into charge mode, but no evidence of a fan running? Will have to check it out with the dealership.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have an LCI F56. I think the fan was on pre LCI cars. No sign of one on mine. My phone gets very hot on a long journey. If I am using Nav and Music via Carplay, after a couple of hours journey, it will probably add 5% to the battery. If I use the car's nav it will add a bit more, but even then I estimate around 14 hours to charge my phone completely.

I wouldn't bother specing it in future. With it being in the armrest I was constantly leaving my phone in the car. I now don't use it. I have an iPhone 11 btw.

·
Registered
784 Posts
My iPhone normally charges overnight with an Anker wireless charger. It never gets hot and charges much more quickly that the MINI one. To me, it seems poorly designed.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Not exactly the answer I know but just to say my 2016 F56 JCW has a fan in the armrest which is activated by a pressure pad underneath the phone when it is put in the cradle. This is not a QI wireless dock though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 9 of 9 Posts