Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look at these:
1) Active Tourer 220i : https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp?id=2A51-EUR-12-2015-F45-BMW-220i
2) Clubman Cooper S : https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp?id=LN71-EUR-12-2015-F54-Mini-Cooper_S

Under the skin they are sisters...the same frame, the same mechanical main parts...

Let's focus here: front axle and front brakes!
1) F45 (active tourer 220i) Wheel bearing and disc
2) F54S (clubman S) wheel bearing and disc

They are the same!

You all know the price of a retrofit JCW brakes kit...+ 4 wheels big enough to contain all this Brembo stuff...but look at this Active tourer 225i 330mm disc.
It is not so beautiful as the JCW one but the price can be lower but...very important...it should remain inside the F54 17" wheel.
The necessary stuff is (multiplied by 2!!!):
  • Disc (part 3)
  • Caliper carrier (part 12)
  • Caliper (part 8)

Pads are the same of the F54

What do you think? I don't know prices but I can suppose can be the half of the JCW kit. 0:)
Do you think it can be done...or I have forgotten something?
The 17" wheel seems big enough to have the caliper closer to the board of 12mm and a bigger disc depending on my opinion...can be more resistent in longer and stronger use.

Thanks for your time

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I'd be more worried about what those new brake discs would do to the DSC. When you get the JCW sport brakes, a reprogram is required to account for the different size/weight of the new rotors.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'd be more worried about what those new brake discs would do to the DSC. When you get the JCW sport brakes, a reprogram is required to account for the different size/weight of the new rotors.
Nothing required to convert, from stock to full Jcw Brembo also same for r53, when I upgraded to way bigger discs
sounds like a dealer tax to me, to help justify ridiculous fitting charges, mine have been fine for last 12 months, 18,000 miles ;)

If this made any sense then we should also need to flash the dsc, when we change from old to new tyres, or pressures or dry to icy roads :(

Reactions: AarnMunro

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've successfully done an upgrade on my F56 Cooper S from the standard 294mm front brake discs to the 330mm ones found on the F48 BMW X1 F39 X2 MINI F60 etc. All you need is a set of brake calipers, caliper carriers and front brake discs. Both calipers included caliper brackets and costed around £100 for the pair here in the UK. They came off scrapped cars and were in as new condition. I went with TRW brake discs and pads. My car has the 17 inch tentacle spoke wheels and it fits inside without any issues. It is quite a tight fit though. Apologise for the poor condition of the wheels. Whey will be going in for renovation soon

Attachments

Reactions: ffdee and Evlkarl

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not at all! I don't feel any difference in the way the car drives (apart from a big improvement in braking performance!)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.