Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Just got my new car on SUN 2nd NOV.

I wanted to ask did anyone notice the new F55 mini copper 5 door. 1.5L three cylinder . I can hear the engine noise during acceleration.

Sounds like a sewing machine or a diesel engine. This is very annoying.

The dealer tells me is normal.

What do you think?

Thanks/ANDREW

·
Registered
45 Posts
3 Cylinder engines are always a bit vocal when under acceleration, personally i think they sound great. should be nice and quiet when cruising.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I noticed this about the Cooper I test drove. That's pretty normal for an odd number cylinder engine. My 5 cylinder Golf sounded the same way.

It could be that the video isn't an accurate representation, though. Sounds fine to me.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Both my F56s have (and had) a sewing machine sound on idle but this goes when the revs go up above about 1500 rpm.

I thrashed Fevio from day one, but was gentle with Luke.

Fevio was much more coarse after 600 miles - there is definitely something to be said for running it in.

I am a bit disappointed too by the idle noise, definitely not smooth, but the sound on acceleration is fantastic.

·
Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
I have to say I have been very impressed with mine and more refined than my rattly coopr s r56. I bought it for the 3 cylinder growl which sounds Porsche like or like my 3 cylinder triumph Daytona motorcycle, not sewing machine like.am or was running it in very carefully though and he is yet to be thrashed.people who've been in it comment on how quiet he is! Love it and chose it for the sound. If you want rough try the 2 cylinder fiat 500 twinair. Yuk.

·
Registered
F57 Sidewalk Edition Cooper S
46 Posts
I have a new F55 Cooper just arrived and sounds great. I love it.¡

·
Registered
1 Posts
Engine sound

Hi Andy,

i guess your car has the 6 spd auto box ?
I have the same harsh sound on my F56 auto.
I test drove the auto and the manual and with the 6 spd manual the engine sound is much more refined.
I will complain about it at the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
Does sound noisier than my f56. Might be worth getting g it checked out,.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Interesting, you have the auto right?

I have the manual version, its sounds similar to yours ( i love the sound btw)

However, yours does seems to have a higher hum, im curios, at 37s in your video you can hear a distinct change in the sound? Do you do anything at that stage? Ie change from D to N/P?

I have a feeling that while the car is engaged in auto there might be a hum?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Didnt read the post from MiniDriver.

But i agree with him, i would say this is Auto Related.

Pity Really, and the irony is, with Auto you have a lot more time to "listen" as you are not as busy flicking the awesome manual shifter around. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hi Ggoosen
I am pleased to say the noise is a lot less now, maybe it needs a bit of running in.
Is now done 650KM. The noise seems to be half, but I still not really like the sound
at low REV, at high REV it sounds nice.
I am not sure where the noise is coming from it is the turbo or exhaust or the 3 cylinder engine ?
I am a bit disappointing really because I had a Audi A1 1.4 turbo, before and there is no such sound like that.
I am sure the 3 door is NOT as noisy. I had a test drive in the 3door, I cannot hear such noise. I bring my mini back to MINI and they stay is normal as they would. Maybe is a design issue with the 5 door is more noisy.
At least there is no other noise like from the dash or something like some problem is reporting, that would drive me even more mad.
I have notice if I open the bonnet, the engine sounds a bit noisy like the old ford OHV engine.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
F57 Sidewalk Edition Cooper S
46 Posts
I have done 1700 Km with my F55 Cooper and for me noise is good, outside the noise is worse than inside , but fortunately I always are inside. ;-)
You should test other F55 and compare to check all works fine in your car.
P.S. Due to the frame windows the 5 doors is quieter than 3 doors, specially in windy days and with high speed

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had mine for 4 weeks now and if anything I think the engine noise is quite. Took mates out for a spin who have Nissan Juke and they can't believe how quite the engine noise is in my F55 5 door. It's an automatic so not sure if that makes any difference. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
[U I've had people say the same Rob. Very quiet car. Manual petrol cooper

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm not sure I'f you have settled the issue with the dealer but for information my wife's 56 manual is quieter than my 55 auto which makes a rumble noise at lower revs but quiet on tick over.
To imitate the sound in the other halfs manual, requires low rev gear changes and even then it's not so pronounced.
I have to say for all the critism I've read of the six speed auto I find it very good apart from some jerky 'pull aways', which is probably my lead foot.
It is good fun in sport mode too and although due to back issues, I've had autos for years. Things are better now and driving the wife's manual allows me direct comparison and thankfully I prefer the auto it just seems to get the best out of the car, either driving economically or ranting it (only a lttle at the moment).
In fact the go-cart feeling is more so, as go karts are mostly autos.
Interesting to note that the 0 to 62 figures are quicker on the auto and fuel efficiency is increased in some driving conditions.
It is certainly not as easy to continuously change gear early in the manual, there's that urge to push through the revs.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Got a cooper petrol auto and a cooper s diesel. The Cooper SD is quiet - very quiet, in fact I found it very difficult to discern just how fast I was going when I first drove it. The cooper auto on the other hand has a very specific sound to it.

I've handed my cooper over to my mum, and to be honest I really miss the noise it makes which I really enjoyed. There's no doubt the auto on the cooper sounds a bit louder than the non auto, which I had as a loaner for a couple of days. If you find it irritating it could be that there's a fault, but as other people have mentioned there's a definite note to the way the car sounds, and I think it sounds great!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts