Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested to hear how well folks are getting along with an F55 as a family car. If you didn't get an F55 as a family car, why get the 2 extra doors?

What works/doesnt work for a family?
Longest trip?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
If you want good back seat room and better comfort for backseat passengers I'd recommend going a step up to the Clubman, from personal experience I've been in the back of both a F55 and F56, there's not much in it in terms of space but the doors means easier access - saying that though the doors are small and I found myself twisting to get in.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Don't go near a clubman, nice car just the wrong price

Go 2 steps up get a BMW touring, & save a wad of cash after discount

Bring out the flames and pitchforks now...>:D

·
Super Moderator
8,822 Posts
Yes f55 has a larger boot than f56 so best thing to do is try it.in total it's about a foot longer floor pan wise. Don't forget to order roof rails for roof bars if you want to attach a rack and roof box!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have a F55, its not the main family car, but most times its used it has one of my kids in the back, my kids are 11 and 12. We had an F56 as a loaner once, and if the 5 door wasn't available I don't think we wouldn't be Mini owners. It's just the right size, for nipping about, but not to big. I would have loved a JCW, but because it's only an F56 the F55 MCS (JCW kit to follow) will have to do.

My take on it is, if you more often than not have 3 or more up the F55 is the logical option. if you have 3 or more rarely then the F56 looks better. Also my bowling kit only just fits in the F55.

If we are going long distances with the family and the dog, then we use the main family car, which is a VW Tiguan. I am guessing that will be replaced with a 2017 Countryman when it's launches.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a F55, its not the main family car, but most times its used it has one of my kids in the back, my kids are 11 and 12. We had an F56 as a loaner once, and if the 5 door wasn't available I don't think we wouldn't be Mini owners. It's just the right size, for nipping about, but not to big. I would have loved a JCW, but because it's only an F56 the F55 MCS (JCW kit to follow) will have to do.

My take on it is, if you more often than not have 3 or more up the F55 is the logical option. if you have 3 or more rarely then the F56 looks better. Also my bowling kit only just fits in the F55.

If we are going long distances with the family and the dog, then we use the main family car, which is a VW Tiguan. I am guessing that will be replaced with a 2017 Countryman when it's launches.
Awesome, thanks. Do the kids have any issues sharing the single cupholder in the back seat?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I previously had a F55 and it was great to have the extra space compared to the F56. Depending on who will be sitting in the back seats and for how long. Having an adult in the back of the F55 for more than an hour or 2 it gets pretty uncomfortable still. Took a road trip from Sweden to Norway (1700km round trip) and the adult sitting in the back wasn't to comfortable over a few hours. Kids on the other hand shouldn't have to much of a problem :) I agree with the comment made by brandon if you want a more comfortable back and more storage area I'd recommend a Clubman. I loved my F55 but I really enjoy my F54 better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
I do not have more than 2 passengers in my F55 very often but chose it because I do not need any more 2-door cars in my garage. If tall people sit in the front, the leg space in the rear would be compromised quite bit but if that is not the case, the rear seat have some acceptable space, especially for young kids.

It is convenient for me to be able to open a rear door and throw some extra stuff in there and take them out without bending over much. The boot is larger than that of the F56 as mentioned above. It looks like a small difference in spec but for my need, it was a huge deal. My large "hobby bag" sits in there perfectly :) Yes, the roof rail can potentially increase the cargo capacity.

When the car is near empty (only me), it is fun zippy car to drive around.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have a F55,
s.
How big are your balls ? :nerd:

Reactions: Blat7Chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
Interested to hear how well folks are getting along with an F55 as a family car. If you didn't get an F55 as a family car, why get the 2 extra doors?

What works/doesnt work for a family?
Longest trip?

Thanks!
With two growing 8 and 6 year olds, our family car situation went from 2 x r56 minis to 1 x r56 (which is my JCW and I'm not selling this!>:D) and a new f55 cooper s which pretty much is our family car now.
In the r56's, our 8 year old's knees were hitting the back of the front seats at their most forward position (she is in a child booster seat). That's why we upgraded to the f55. The f55 has good rear leg room for her for the time being (and will get better once she's out of the booster seat). The increased boot space and the 4-door accessibility in the f55 is also a bonus too.
While its bigger than the r56, to me it feels about 80% "fun to drive" compared with the r56. When I want to have a "fang" I take the r56 and when I want to relax I take the f55.
I think the f55 will be good for us the next few years before we'll need to go up to a new clubman when they're in their teens.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My selection criteria for picking up a new F55 might be different from most folks but thought I share my story here to help identify some food for thought.

I have always owned premium touring cars since 2000 and loved what it does best, Solid refine smooth ride with exceptional quite cabin. Recent experience at the track opened my eyes to a new world of compact sports cars. The manual shifting and the driving dynamics of light weight cars provided an intoxicating satisfaction on every turn.

My search began with the following finalist test driving them twice one week apart (It had to be manual transmission):

Ford focus ST
Civic type R
Golf GTI
WRX
MINI F56S

• The mini was more refined and better build quality than others. WRX looked like it was build from recycled plastic.
  • Mini has most advanced tech gadgets that I was used to seeing in premium cars
  • Mini wasn’t the fastest but it had the best ergonomic driving position and response dynamics.
  • Dependability wasn’t the top rated but free maintenance made up for it. Others did not. Was able to get 40% DC on extended maintenance program (6years 100K miles).
  • I never liked the exterior design of a mini but the new interior made-up for it.

Once I picked the Mini, here are the reasons why I picked F55S instead of F56S:

• I have 3 and 5 year old and their car seats did not sit well on F56. F55 in the other hand had no problem. In and out was a pain on F56.
  • My wife (5’6”) can comfortably seat in the back of F55. Made her test drive it.
  • My current family car is Lexus LS F-sport but still needed a functional boot. The F55 provided enough boot for majority of daily functions.
  • The F55 is only 6” longer and 100lbs more. Performance did not surfer compared to clubman and journeyman. Clubman and journeyman did not drive like a Mini, they felt like infinity E35 or Mazda 3X. No point of getting a mini that did not have the sports dynamics.

As a family car: It works great most of the time. Large items like Costco runs are hard if the car has full passenger on board. No problem if rear seats are vacant.

What works: Compact sports car that is fun to drive in Manual – I would not have gotten a MINI if manual was not available. Can fit 4 comfortably.

What does not work: I have the upgraded sports seats, it bit hard for my taste in long 3+ hour drives. Road noise is bit hard on the run on flats on my 17”.

Why get 2 extra doors if it’s not a main family car: The comfort and ease of rear access to pick up my kids and the F55 has 50% more space volume than F56 and its only 6” longer. The extra doors even make picking up family and friends at the airport possible, fully utilizing the car instead of sitting in my garage and letting my Lexus LS do all the work.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Sipclark, welcome to the forum nice write up. :) You are correct them run flats make a little more noise that was the reason why I went with 16 inch standard tires.

As far as the boot been a little too small this advise might help.... cancel the Cosco Membership and support you small Grocery Stores you can make more trips to the store because you do not have to buy in bulk and you will drive your F55 more often.:D Looking forward seen Pictures of your car. Cheers

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.