Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm a new mini owner (1 day old) and I know this has been covered before, so apologies in advance. I've a 2015 F55 Mini Cooper S and keen to upgrade my car to support the newer mini equipment with carplay.

I'm aware of the add-ons such as this: https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/mini/carplay-mmi

I'm keen to see if i can upgrade to the native BMW implementation and would like to better understand exactly what item's i'd need to replace/upgrade. My plan is to keep an eye open at the wreckers and purchase the right components once the right vehicle becomes available.

Hopefully the pics below will help determine what I currently have in the vehicle.

Many thanks in advance. Appreciate your help and apologies again for the newbie question.

Adam

·
Registered
211 Posts
You will need an nbt evo headunit from the new countryman or 2017+ clubman with the touchscreen and idrive. Then you will need to update the estep to at least 2018-4, which is not very easy. But first start finding the headunit and touchscreen. When all is done you will get native wireless carplay with all touch idrive system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will need an nbt evo headunit from the new countryman or 2017+ clubman with the touchscreen and idrive. Then you will need to update the estep to at least 2018-4, which is not very easy. But first start finding the headunit and touchscreen. When all is done you will get native wireless carplay with all touch idrive system.
Thanks a lot Empo. I'll start researching those. Does it need to be the countryman or clubman? I thought all mini's post 2017 had carplay. Is it just those two that have wireless carplay?

I assume the estep is the firmware for the units?

·
Registered
211 Posts
To be honest I dont know 100% for sure if the mini F56 F55 F57 LCI (facelift) is ever fitted with an NBT EVO headunit. Many say these cars are fitted with EntryNav 2 units. The problems with these units is that there are no proper ways to retrofit them from a donor car to yours. What I mean is that there is a big community around the EVO units almost everything can be done on these nowadays like easly coding them to your car and flashing/updating maps and probably most important for you adding lifetime wireless carplay instead of a subscription from bmw/mini.

The EVO hw 3.1 or 4.1 is 100% fitted on F60 and >2017 F54 cars. These can be fully adapted to your car. But many coders are unable to flash the proper fw on the units to make them show the correct car animations and electronic manual etc etc...

So look for F60 F54 nbt evo units and remember the screen MUST bu touchscreen for it to properly work with > 04-2018 estep.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent. Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. I’ve found a couple of wreckers in Australia (but other states from where I live) and have asked for the VIN of the cars they are wrecking to check what unit has been installed.
If ok, I’ll post what I find here for a sanity check before I get it shipped across the country.
Do I also need to replace the controller component near the hand rest as well. Or just head unit with touchscreen?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Excellent. Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. I’ve found a couple of wreckers in Australia (but other states from where I live) and have asked for the VIN of the cars they are wrecking to check what unit has been installed.
If ok, I’ll post what I find here for a sanity check before I get it shipped across the country.
Do I also need to replace the controller component near the hand rest as well. Or just head unit with touchscreen? View attachment 67741
Its better to also replace the controller since it has a different layout. The screenshot you posted is 100% old unit since this is the old interface. Look for one with new mini lci interface

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi all, I've found a unit which I believe will support the retrofit, but can't seem to work out if it has the right firmware. (3.1 or 4.1) as the sticker looks different to what my google-fu finds.

Is anyone able to confirm is this is the right unit?

It’s From a 2018 Countryman JCW. I've also got Harmon Kardon system. but the VIN check shows this vehicle does too, so should be compatible as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Agardener0000,

I’m curious if you got the CarPlay and Nav to work in the 2015 mini by following the replacements mentioned above?

I bought a 2016 5dr Mini Cooper yesterday which was advertised with Nav, but sadly, it’s only visual boost. ?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Agardener0000,

I’m curious if you got the CarPlay and Nav to work in the 2015 mini by following the replacements mentioned above?

I bought a 2016 5dr Mini Cooper yesterday which was advertised with Nav, but sadly, it’s only visual boost. ?

Many thanks!
Still trying to work it out.
Seeking confirmation the unit I posted will do the trick and if so, I’ll report back and also do a post on how it went for me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
220 page thread...is apple play worth it ...?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Interesting. What is the modification needed? Is coding needed?

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
New LCI touchscreen and trim (F60) retrofitted

No coding required

·
Registered
638 Posts
There is a guy called Andy Dalton on the Mini Owners Group (Facebook) that will retrofit CarPlay to Pre-LCI cars for £255 all in. Getting mine done in October but plenty of success stories on the Facebook group.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Is this both versions?
also any hardwar required? As I have a 2014

1 - 20 of 20 Posts