Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just purchased a DINANTRONICS Sport Performance Tuner for my Mini F55 (NON S B38) cooper. I must say this thing is pretty awesome. I have it paired with a K&N CAI. I dont have any official numbers for it but I do feel the difference while in sport mode. It pulls pretty hard between 2000 rpm and 4000 rpm while in sport mode.

Installation was pretty easy and takes about a couple of minutes. Its just a single plug into the pressure sensor and they provide some zip ties to help tidy things up.

They have a APP for android that allows the module to connect via bluetooth to your phone and change your settings (valet, stock, sport and sport + and race). It also has a boost controller built into the APP. Currently I have some connectivity issues with the app and my phone and trying to find best possible location for the module to maintain connectivity with the module but decided to try tomorrow.

Other than that, if anyone was looking into getting some sort of piggy back system, check Dinan out.
It goes for $299

Ill keep you guys posted with updates as I get to try it out a little more tomorrow. Let me know if you guys have any questions and i'll do my best to answer them :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Any updates on this? I'm between this the NM and the JB4, paired with the remus responder. Wanting to decide before next month.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any updates on this? I'm between this the NM and the JB4, paired with the remus responder. Wanting to decide before next month.

So Far nothing really to update. No issues with the Dinantronics tuner. Only thing that irritates me is the Phone APP could use some updating. It doesn't stay connected and I would have to change the settings while in front of the car. Also because the APP does not stay connected, I can't see the boost PSI. I ended up getting a OBD II plug with bluetooth and used the APP to monitor my boost PSI. Other than that the power difference between all the settings is noticeable (butt dyno). I think if you are looking for future expandability with different MAP settings as well as future map updates the JB4 would be a good choice. The sales rep I spoke to said there were no plans for future map updates for the Dinan module. But for a quick mod and for the price, I think the Dinan module meets my expectations.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
How does it operate? Does it boost pressure or mappin g or both or more?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How does it operate? Does it boost pressure or mappin g or both or more?
So when I read on how the module works, it connects to the boost pressure sensor. The module tricks the sensor into thinking the boost is at 5 PSI but in reality the car is boosting at 8 PSI. So the Mini's ECU compensates and adds +3 PSI making it 11 PSI on Sport + mode on the 1.5T B38 (NON S) MINI. I hope that makes sense.

SO with that said, it boosts pressure.

I really want to hook up a boost gauge to see if it in fact is making 11 PSI. Or hope DINAN updates their APP soon.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Thats great thank you. Sounds really good especially at that price!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any updates? Just done running in my Cooper F54 and seriously considering the Dinan Sport Tuner as the car can certainly use a little more oomph. Any issues with the box so far or further remarks? I am also not sure what updates you were expecting to get from Dinan, given the box only manipulates the boost sensor and is not an actual remap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing really to update, other than it's still working and have not thrown any CEL's. I wasn't really expecting them to come out with any updates for the unit itself but for the Phone APP. It just seems buggy and works half of the time I try and use it to connect to the module. Also when the screen locks out you have to initiate a re-connect to the module again.. I've tried with multiple devices and they all react the same. Small changes can be made to the APP to provide a better user experience.. But all in all It's not a deal breaker because they are supposed to come shipped with SPORT + already enabled.

I've confirmed with the app (When its working), that it was boosting 11lbs instead of 8.

Its a good buy and you wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks jatiah. As for the unstable bluetooth connection, have you tried mounting the dongle as close to the driver's seat as the wiring will permit?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks jatiah. As for the unstable bluetooth connection, have you tried mounting the dongle as close to the driver's seat as the wiring will permit?
The way I currently have it mounted is behind my K&N airbox. I would love to have stretched it to the battery compartment but the cable is too short.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on the Dinan tuning module for my B38 as well. Can't wait to have her hooked up. I figure that, paired with my Remus exhaust and high flow filter, I'll get some decent push.

My butt dyno will be going crazy.

Then it's off to a downpipe soon enough (should put me close to S numbers).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thinking of purchasing this as well, car runs great but want more power.
So to be clear it comes preloaded in Sport + which is essentially better than Sport Mode.

You only notice power gains in Sport + mode and between 2-4K rpm range. So no impact to mid mode?

How has this impacted your gas mileage?

And I mainly run on Sport mode when I'm on the highway is the power gains smooth and even as you accelerate or is there a lag?

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello, yes the module comes preloaded with sport + mode . So not to be confused, this is nothing dealing with the settings on your MINI (Sport, normal,green) DINAN just names it SPORT + mode which will give your car 3PSI boost, so it will take it from the stock 8psi to 11psi with the module. Additionally they have Race mode which will take your boost to 12PSI. and also valet mode which drops your boost.

I found that driving with the MINI Setting at SPORT mode and the dinan controller set to SPORT + Mode to be the most noticeable difference. The DINAN controller WILL AFFECT ALL the MODES across the board, so if you have it at NORMAL mode, you WILL STILL be pushing 11PSI (SPORT + MODE) or whatever you DINAN controller is set to.

I still receive pretty good gas mileage, probably around 32 to 34 MPG. Depends on how I drive.

I run SPORT MODE all the time and fine it to be the best setting while PAIRED with the DINAN controller. Power is instant and you can feel the difference.

I hope i answered your questions, let me know if you have any more and I will do my best to respond quickly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This piggyback it's compatible with the mini one 1.2T? They say its compatible with the B38 motor, but the mini one also use the B38...
I dont know if this is compatible with the 1.2t. I know it says B38 but it also says 1.5T. Best to check with DINAN. They are good at responding.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just pulled the trigger on the Dinan tuning module for my B38 as well. Can't wait to have her hooked up. I figure that, paired with my Remus exhaust and high flow filter, I'll get some decent push.

My butt dyno will be going crazy.

Then it's off to a downpipe soon enough (should put me close to S numbers).
Sounds awesome, I have my DINAN controller paired with a K&N Typhoon intake and if feels really well balanced. Coupled with the sounds the intake makes. Let me know how your setup goes, i'm looking at getting an exhaust for the mini along with a new DP and CP. If I go go that route though, I might swap to a JB4 module for the tuning capabilities.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello, yes the module comes preloaded with sport + mode . So not to be confused, this is nothing dealing with the settings on your MINI (Sport, normal,green) DINAN just names it SPORT + mode which will give your car 3PSI boost, so it will take it from the stock 8psi to 11psi with the module. Additionally they have Race mode which will take your boost to 12PSI. and also valet mode which drops your boost.

I found that driving with the MINI Setting at SPORT mode and the dinan controller set to SPORT + Mode to be the most noticeable difference. The DINAN controller WILL AFFECT ALL the MODES across the board, so if you have it at NORMAL mode, you WILL STILL be pushing 11PSI (SPORT + MODE) or whatever you DINAN controller is set to.

I still receive pretty good gas mileage, probably around 32 to 34 MPG. Depends on how I drive.

I run SPORT MODE all the time and fine it to be the best setting while PAIRED with the DINAN controller. Power is instant and you can feel the difference.

I hope i answered your questions, let me know if you have any more and I will do my best to respond quickly.

Sweet!! That's exactly what I was hoping for, I have the Typhoon as well along with a magnaflow muffler, ordering this next week.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lastly, have you driven the MCS? Does this come close to that you think? I originally wanted the MCS but when I was buying they didn't have one in the setup I wanted and didn't want to wait to order so I went with the regular Cooper. Been wanting the MCS since, hoping this brings it closer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lastly, have you driven the MCS? Does this come close to that you think? I originally wanted the MCS but when I was buying they didn't have one in the setup I wanted and didn't want to wait to order so I went with the regular Cooper. Been wanting the MCS since, hoping this brings it closer.
I haven't driven a recent MCS, but I do have a tuned Mitsubishi Evo X also. And I can say with the Dinan mod it would put it pretty close to or responsiveness to my evo in STOCK form (power to weight ratio feeling) and driving feeling. Sorry I don't have anything concrete to base on, but that's the best way I can explain it with this mod.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I haven't driven a recent MCS, but I do have a tuned Mitsubishi Evo X also. And I can say with the Dinan mod it would put it pretty close to or responsiveness to my evo in STOCK form (power to weight ratio feeling) and driving feeling. Sorry I don't have anything concrete to base on, but that's the best way I can explain it with this mod.
Sounds good. Ordering it. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts