Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 F56 Mini Cooper Sport (not an "S") and with the Comfort Pack specified, it came with an armrest. Which I hate. It does not fit/work for either myself (5' 11") or my wife, (5' 2") and frankly I'm amazed that BMW let the car out of the factory designed like this. The car is manual and has a standard handbrake - and the armrest really gets in the way of releasing the handbrake, and is especially laughable with the armrest in the dropped position as pulling on the handbrake actually lifts the armrest up. Tragic design. And getting to the iDrive with the armrest up is rubbish. Anyway, the armrest is easy to remove, one screw and two bolts - it literally takes 10 minutes.

Once removed you have options. £80 buys a replacement plastic centre console tray that takes about an hour to replace and essentially fills in the hole cut by BMW to insert the armrest. Or you can make and install a cover and simply remove this if/when you sell the car. I made a cover and kept the template/plan required to make this, (its held in securely with magnets). I can share this via mail to members on request. Pictures attached; hope this helps :)
IMG_2057.JPG
IMG_2058.JPG

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have to agree with your comments about the arm rest

However, here comes the but, I do find it useful due to the lack of useful cubby holes compared to other cars I have owned

I have a couple os foam inserts to stop things rattling around and fold it back when not in use

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have considered removing the armrest as I agree it is a pain up or down and would be interested in taking a look at your plan. I will try to send you a message with my contact details.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have considered removing the armrest as I agree it is a pain up or down and would be interested in taking a look at your plan. I will try to send you a message with my contact details.
I like the armrest as I can keep and charge my phone in it.
The car is an auto ( JCW) so using the gear lever isn't a problem. I agree about the handbrake though.
I'm 5' 9" and find the armrest and door armrest are just right when on long motorway trips.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Gavin. I have sent you the plans and instructions by email. Hope it works out for you - please let me know if they can be improved, just in case others want to have a go.

·
Registered
89 Posts
personally, my right arm is very happy on it, but still you've the option to lift the armrest vertically.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts