Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I don't have the sat-nav specced on my incoming MCS and was curious what the controller that sits by the handbrake looks like? Anyone want to post a picture/explain it?
I've already got 'toggle-envy' from my lack of park assist (got the other 3)
The sat-nav controller looks great...hoping the visual boost one isn't too disappointing.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I haven't got a pic - you'll be able to find it online or someone here will indulge but it's basically a Mini version of BMW's I drive system

Keys specific will take you to phone Nav etc and the actual control can navigate - you can also finger swipe characters alphabetically to find navigation contacts if you have the navigation from top of the controller...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love that swipe/type feature but I'm guessing (not sure) that you wouldn't get that on just visual boost?
I tried google, but it kept throwing up the lovely I Drive controller.
On the Mini configurator I can see this weird, red nubbin pop up (oo-er) and disappear when you switch between sat nav and visual boost-I can't work out what it is!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apparently going through some notes the controller does come with the mini visual boost???

Where's Mark!
It is messing with my head (the configurator)

However, there is of sorts a twiddly controller down there. Just wondering how it works/looks. It's a red nubbin of sorts. I think Washy is correct. Maybe like a joystick?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you're right Washy

That's a good question Cosmic - got me!
I've ended up asking a ton of questions about what might be missing. I've found out I have:

Toggle-envy

And now;

I own a red nubbin. Sigh.

PAGING DR FREUD!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Cosmic

If you really didn't need the sat nav then I'm sure you won't miss the extra features connected to it from the controller

That's the most important thing - and if that's okay you can console yourself that you should have a controller for the visual boost

At the end it's best to find out to make sure!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Sorry everyone... my house had no electricity for most of today and at work I had to do some... well you know, work :(

Anyway, the simpler nubbin controller comes with the visual boost 6.5 inch screen and is actually shown in the paper brochure (page 35). I remember it from a demostrator car... it's like a joystick but you can also twiddle it around (between thumb and finger for example) for selecting letters and digits. It basically does everything the other one does except for drawing in things on the top surface.

The larger touch sensitive controller comes with the media XL 8.8 inch screen. I tried very hard to find out whether navigation could do everything that navigation XL could do... I think with XL you can get a 3D view. The main thing that persuaded me was the split screen view you can have with media XL.

I've never really looked at this bit of the manual (pages 19 and 21)... it lookes like you can set the touch pad to control the interactive map... panning and pinch zooming... that sounds quite good, as an alternative to letter and number recognition.

So, for the original question... I think the controller you get depends on the screen size and is independent of whether you have navigation.
If you have visual boost radio and no navigation then you still use the controller for operating the menus... radio, multimedia, telephone (says the manual...

http://www.miniusa.com/content/dam/...14/2014_MINI_Hardtop_with_Onboard_Monitor.pdf

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, for the original question... I think the controller you get depends on the screen size and is independent of whether you have navigation.
If you have visual boost radio and no navigation then you still use the controller for operating the menus... radio, multimedia, telephone (says the manual...

http://www.miniusa.com/content/dam/...14/2014_MINI_Hardtop_with_Onboard_Monitor.pdf
Hey thanks!

I'm the owner of a little red nubbin!

And thanks for the link to PDF.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the Visual Boost controller. It is similar to the Sat Nav version, but doesn't rock forward and backward. Just left and right.

You basically use it to 'dial' a setting, and push it down to 'select', with all the settings appearing on the main screen. It's most essential feature is the selection of the tracks you want to play off your USB stick. But there's lots of other stuff there too.

I'll go and take a picture!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have the Visual Boost controller. It is similar to the Sat Nav version, but doesn't rock forward and backward. Just left and right.

You basically use it to 'dial' a setting, and push it down to 'select', with all the settings appearing on the main screen. It's most essential feature is the selection of the tracks you want to play off your USB stick. But there's lots of other stuff there too.

I'll go and take a picture!
You...are...amazing, thank you!

BTW, how do you attach images on here, without having to navigate to a http address?

·
Registered
90 Posts
And here are the pictures. One of the controller. One of the main menu showing the primary options you can choose. Turn the controller to select the option. Push it to enter into that option.

There are many sub-menus, each with more options, etc.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts