Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MINI has been allowed to run the segment by themselves for too long before audi went an introduced the A1 back in 2010. However even then the Cooper never directly competed with the A1, at least according to Audi, who felt the Cooper didn't offer enough premium kit to be a true blue rival. With the F56 MINI seems to of addressed their Teutonic banishment and came to fight with upscale options and packages like adaptive suspension, full LED head lamps, HUD, park assist and adaptive cruise control. MINI, or should we say BMW took things to such a level that the A1 can't actually math the F56 Cooper feature to feature...

Dimensions of the A1 and the F56 Cooper are similar, the Audi is 1.3 centimeters wider and 2 millimeters higher. Although the A1 is about four cm longer, the wheelbase is actually five centimeters shorter. Notice the elongated overhangs vs the svelte Coopers.

This more reinforcement than detriment ;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I can see how you see that.
It's abit on the ugly side, but of course Audi loyalists will veer towards it more than others.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you know looking at the A1 again it really, really reminds me of the VAuxhall Adam, especially from that rear 3/4 look.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think it looks evil at the front, especially when you compare it to the smiley face of the F56.
Nowhere near as much character in its looks or appointment.
They drive quite well but the suspension is SOOOOO hard it honestly gave me a headache by the time I had completed a trip to the GF about 90 miles away.
A good car but really and truly, not a patch on the MINI.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Yawn... not for me. bland interior. What's with that flip up screen, do they really think it is pleasing to the eye? No thank you Audi

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Here we go then from an ex Audi driver

The problem with the A1 is that it's a Frankenstein version of all the others

And that's the problem with Audi and to be fair all the big brands - they seems to be chucking out new niches with the same platforms same interiors just different bodies and prices and that has really got me bored with car design and production

The thing is if you look at a Mini it's still a Mini despite the obvious weight gain - the only thing BMW have really touched up is the interior quality which puts some BMW interiors to shame!

The A1 is no match for a Mini - not now anyway - the interior is way ahead despite some niggles namely armrest - the Mini is still Mini the Audi A1 is a collection of all the others in the range.

And the A1 is more pricier - if I'm going to be honest though the A1 Sportback beats the Mini 5 door - that's not a surprise to me because it's better proportioned - still the interior is part A3 A6/7 A8 and then the exterior is just so boring it's unbelievable - it's a shrunken down process which defies belief - but it's sold because it has the badge and ultimately that's what they all care about - our money.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Here we go then from an ex Audi driver

The problem with the A1 is that it's a Frankenstein version of all the others

And that's the problem with Audi and to be fair all the big brands - they seems to be chucking out new niches with the same platforms same interiors just different bodies and prices and that has really got me bored with car design and production

The thing is if you look at a Mini it's still a Mini despite the obvious weight gain - the only thing BMW have really touched up is the interior quality which puts some BMW interiors to shame!

The A1 is no match for a Mini - not now anyway - the interior is way ahead despite some niggles namely armrest - the Mini is still Mini the Audi A1 is a collection of all the others in the range.

And the A1 is more pricier - if I'm going to be honest though the A1 Sportback beats the Mini 5 door - that's not a surprise to me because it's better proportioned - still the interior is part A3 A6/7 A8 and then the exterior is just so boring it's unbelievable - it's a shrunken down process which defies belief - but it's sold because it has the badge and ultimately that's what they all care about - our money.

What appears to be the problem with the armrest GK7? - I have to admit, that when I drove the car on my test drive I actually remarked to the Sales person that the arm rest seemed to be completely in the wrong position, but having driven the car for the past 6 wks, it no longer seems to be an issue. It's probably a bit like the debate running at the moment re heated front screen - you see the heating elements initially but after a few sessions behind the wheel they no longer become noticeable .
BTW the armrest has 4 possible settings incl fully raised to be completely out of the way.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I don't drive our F56 all that much, but the armrest annoys the **** out of me. Even in the fully up position I find it is still in the way. If you have it down it is a pain to use the iDrive control knob...having said that it is the only thing on the car that does annoy me.

Back on topic I find the A1 a little dreary I think that GK7 is spot on and just a bit to contrived for me.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
What appears to be the problem with the armrest GK7? - I have to admit, that when I drove the car on my test drive I actually remarked to the Sales person that the arm rest seemed to be completely in the wrong position, but having driven the car for the past 6 wks, it no longer seems to be an issue. It's probably a bit like the debate running at the moment re heated front screen - you see the heating elements initially but after a few sessions behind the wheel they no longer become noticeable .
BTW the armrest has 4 possible settings incl fully raised to be completely out of the way.
Don't get me wrong mate

I think the arm rest should be more sexier - I think it looks boring!

:D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Don't get me wrong mate

I think the arm rest should be more sexier - I think it looks boring!

:D
Oh I see - thought you didn't like the positioning of it - Although that seems to be Washy's complaint. I for one have got completely used to it - maybe I've got odd shaped arms or am double jointed and never knew it - lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts