Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is in the correct area...admins feel free to relocate if needed...

Since I've had the car from new (my first Mini) so not sure if it is "normal"

Between varying speeds 60mph -70mph (sometimes slightly more) the car makes a high pitched whine.

Not sure if its aerodynamics or an issue with the engine...

a friends manual F56 Cooper S does not make the same noise so its a slightly strange one..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNp6S9TFaTE

Hopefully that link to the video will work, well within the speed limit so its not being driven hard.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
That's..not...normal....

Might want to get that checked out...

Maybe the Active Sound Design module has a french horn setting... lol

·
Registered
258 Posts
definitely not right - see your dealer asap!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Danc241

Had exactly the same noise appear with mine yesterday, I only have 200 miles on the car has anyone had the same issue or found out what the noise was?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Try putting window down an inch and back up when happens see its not wind noise between window seal and window with need for window to be adjusted in ?

As per dealer just tell them you are a member of a few car sites and have posted up the video and they were not impressed that , the dealer is not looking for fix, and you are away to join some mini clubs to see what they say and they may know about it, and want to help.
Also email mini customer service if they don't take action after this, good luck just be very nice but firm

·
Registered
457 Posts
Concur with that......def something not right,does sound like feedback inside the car. Never heard that on manual F56 MCS or Auto JCW.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aerodynamic noise at hight speed

Not sure if this is in the correct area...admins feel free to relocate if needed...

Since I've had the car from new (my first Mini) so not sure if it is "normal"

Between varying speeds 60mph -70mph (sometimes slightly more) the car makes a high pitched whine.

Not sure if its aerodynamics or an issue with the engine...

a friends manual F56 Cooper S does not make the same noise so its a slightly strange one..

Hopefully that link to the video will work, well within the speed limit so its not being driven hard.
Hi, I have a 2015 F56, got the same noise as per your video at around 140 km/h and more. Very annoying for a car that go over 200 km/h !
I notified already the dealer at last service but they did not do anything about it. Tomorrow I am getting to test drive the car with one of their adviser but I am not sure they can identify the problem and... fix it.
Kindly let me know if your dealer found the issue. I will post the diagnostic as soon as I get one :)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
If it isn't the ASD then could it be the crank shaft bearing issue? I'm not familiar with that fault but what else could make that noise? I'm just trying to cover the bases that its not a moving part making that noise... Does it get louder the harder you drive and quieter the more sedately you drive?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Has anyone got to the bottom of this noise as my 2015 mini Cooper S at 4k miles has started doing it. Seems to start around 80 mph and is worse on a windy day or if the wind is in a certain direction to the car. Due to the speed mine does it I'm sure the dealer won't be able to replicate it so any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
Sounds to me like something vibrating in the wind as you drive eg air intake resonance. Either way sit in your dealers and make them sort it!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I’d start by getting to the speed that it occurs and pushing the clutch in (assuming a manual) and see if the noise disappears (ruling out engine and ASD) or shifting down/up. Next I’d be applying some tape to the leading edges of both A pillar covers, between the cover and the front screen, or even the C pillar covers. My money is on something vibrating with the wind resistance. It comes on too suddenly for it to be engine related, and if the ASD is it fault, it should disappear/change with engine revs. Problem is, there are many parts that could vibrate with a head on wind, so it will be process of elimination. Let us know how you go, as this could be helpful to many.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I deactivate ASD using bimmercode today and do a test run 150 - 160 km/h and problem remains. Agree with your observation the high pitched sounds probably generated by some air flow. Eg. Like blowing a trumpet and there is a blocking that causing it to be high pitched. The sounds came from the centre same level as the head unit. The near possible will the air intake flow. Just my newbie non technical conversation. Btw I'm had a CAI installed and might be changing to back for a test.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts