Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new here.
So, as the title states, I'm retrofitting a space saver on our 2016 cooper.
I've bought all the items on the attached parts diagram.
Now all I need to know is how to fit them.
Mini dealers haven't been much help with instructions
Can anyone help who has maybe done it already?
Thanks
diagram.

Registered
A guide from earlier models which might help?

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
A guide from earlier models which might help?
Had already seen that one.
Seem to be far fewer parts to the F56 kit.

Registered
I bought the kit second hand complete along with the space saver wheel and tyre.

I'll be fitting it in a couple of weeks time to my 2016 F57 Convertible.

It looks straight forward enough.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the kit second hand complete along with the space saver wheel and tyre.

I'll be fitting it in a couple of weeks time to my 2016 F57 Convertible.

It looks straight forward enough.
Did you get any extra parts than what's shown in the diagram above?
I know the kit for the previous model had a spring clip in the boot that the holder fixed into.

Registered
Following, as I've been thinking about adding the spare to my 2019 F57 for some time. MINI eliminated the spare from the F55/56/57 in the U.S. for the 2019 model year. No clue where/how to install part #3 in the diagram above.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Further to this, make sure the spare wheel is the 15" fitted with a 115/70/15 tyre.
Anything bigger won't fit inside the housing.
I tried a 115/70/16 and it was just too big.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Following, as I've been thinking about adding the spare to my 2019 F57 for some time. MINI eliminated the spare from the F55/56/57 in the U.S. for the 2019 model year. No clue where/how to install part #3 in the diagram above.
I've not done ours yet but part 3 looks like it bolts to the underside of the chassis to stop the main housing pulling up too far.
It all looks pretty straightforward 馃憤

Registered
How does this mount? On my 2019 F56 I have a huge muffler with the dual tips where I would think the spare would go. I don鈥檛 like the run flats.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
If you have a cooper s with the twin exhaust then you can't fit a space saver.

Registered
Hi, new here.
Thanks View attachment 68381 diagram.
you will also need the wheel wrench from the mini tool kit as you use this to lower and raise the wheel on the car.

The wheel fits in the tray (1) and the polystyrene tray (4) fits inside the wheel, slide the tray under the car and take the mini wrench (thin end) and feed through the hole in the boot and screw onto the tray. Pull up the tray up as far as it will go and twist the wrench slightly clockwise so the tray holds. unscrew the wrench, put the plate (2) on and them put nut (5) and tighten up

Registered
I've not done ours yet but part 3 looks like it bolts to the underside of the chassis to stop the main housing pulling up too far.
It all looks pretty straightforward 馃憤
Looking forward to learning what you find.

Registered
2019 F56 Cooper Exclusive Auto
Hi, new here.
Thanks View attachment 68381 diagram.

Registered
2019 F56 Cooper Exclusive Auto
Just a word of warning on the fitment of the space-saver to a later model 2019 F56 Cooper. The kit shown in post # 1 does not fit due to changes in the bootfloor steel pressing and the fact that the rear exhaust pipe silencer is much wider on my RHD April 2019 Cooper 1.5 Auto model. I found out the hard way after purchasing the complete kit. My spare now resides inside the car behind the passenger seat in a protective cover. At least I have a jack in the back and can change a tyre if need be now. Photos show underside of my car and the offending silencer. The large black plastic cover on the right would normally be discarded which exposes the boot floor pressing for the Jack and tools etc, but on mine the hole with a grommet was not present either and would need drilling and shaping carefully if one wanted to proceed with the fitment. An expensive lesson.:ROFLMAO:

If anyone wants some of the parts I have left over then would be willing to sell at much less than dealer rates.Basically parts 1,2,3,4, & 5 as per the photo in post #1

1 - 18 of 18 Posts