Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A day or so ago, I noticed a rattle coming from the engine bay at around 2000rpm.

I called the BMW garage I brought it from and they booked it into be looked at on the 12th.

This seems like a long time to keep driving the car.

Just looking for some guidance on this. Wether I should try and get them to look sooner or do as they say and continue to drive until the 12th.

I've uploaded a video of the noise below.

sendvid.com/2qhxp4hi

Any questions, please feel free to ask. Cheers.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Did they tell you not to drive it ? If not they can't be to worried as you will soon get a warning come up to say stop and call assistance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
478 Posts
Has the dealer seen the video? I would guess your best option would be to phone BMW assistance and get them to look at it. If BMW assistance decides it can wait, then fine, but if not they will hire you a car and your car will be at the front of the queue at the dealership. Its always best to breakdown away from home, even if there is a nice coffee shop near by ;-)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Has the dealer seen the video? I would guess your best option would be to phone BMW assistance and get them to look at it. If BMW assistance decides it can wait, then fine, but if not they will hire you a car and your car will be at the front of the queue at the dealership. Its always best to breakdown away from home, even if there is a nice coffee shop near by ;-)
Crazy thing to say but it's true :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. Took your advice and called the assistance guys out. They said it wasn't ok to drive and they took it there and then. Waiting to hear back from them. Fingers crossed it isn't anything major.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I could be, or it could be as simple as a loose exhaust heat shield on the turbo. Difficult to tell without looking. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That sounds pretty terminal to me. How old is your car CharlesMini and what mileage?
Car is 2014 and has just under 12k miles.

Petrol 1.5 twin power turbo.

EDIT:

I had the car collected by the mini assistance and they took it to a local garage.

They fixed two faults (Forgive my lack of understand of engines). They told me they replaced the "Fuel mixer" and there was a hose that was loose on the turbo that was letting in too much air which they also fixed.

I collected the car only to find that the horrendous rattling still happens.

Not sure what to do now. Going to send it back in for more repairs.

·
Registered
478 Posts

EDIT:

I had the car collected by the mini assistance and they took it to a local garage.

They fixed two faults (Forgive my lack of understand of engines). They told me they replaced the "Fuel mixer" and there was a hose that was loose on the turbo that was letting in too much air which they also fixed.

You see, there is the problem with any car brand. OK your car had a faulty "Fuel mixer", I assume that's an injector, ok that happens, but to have the horrendous rattling when you collected the car, "what is the dealer thinking", was it testing? What sort of QA process is their workshop using?

"What to do now" - In a word "Complain"

I had a similar problem years ago with the other BMW dealer in my area, who I will no longer use because QA is dismal. I was collecting the car after some warranty paint work, I asked the body shop manager who inspected it before I had even seen my car, he assured me he had personally inspected the car, which made it very easy for me to complain when the car was presented with scratched paint where some trim had been refitted, and over spray on other trim parts.

Hope you get it sorted, and make sure you ask those difficult "QA" questions of the dealer / service manager.

·
Registered
9 Posts

EDIT:

I know it's a pain but I'd call Mini assistance out again and let them have another look, explain that you've just had it repaired but it's still rattling. Chances are they will tow it back to the garage. If you've got another Mini dealer near by, I'd ask for it to go there not to the jokers it went to before. Then when it's back at the dealers get onto Mini HQ and complain complain complain. If it's still rattling like the video, they should never have given it you back!! That is just utter incompetents!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Exactly what I've done! Going to call Mini HQ on the weekend. They've taken in the car in for another 4 days.

Unfortunately the only garage near by seems to be very busy, probably with all the customers going there from this garage.

Avoid these people: spirewatfordmini.co.uk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Exactly what I've done! Going to call Mini HQ on the weekend. They've taken in the car in for another 4 days.

Unfortunately the only garage near by seems to be very busy, probably with all the customers going there from this garage.

Avoid these people: spirewatfordmini.co.uk
Any update CharlesMini, What was wrong with your engine??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any update CharlesMini, What was wrong with your engine??
Apparently it was a "fairly common" problem. The crank shaft had score marks where something had been rubbing?

Unfortunately, my knowledge of engines/mechanics are not good, so what the garage tell me, I sort of have to believe.

But, every time they've told me something, I've made note and ran it past my brother whom had worked as a BMW mechanic for a few years and every time, he's told me the garage were talking bollocks.

I'm not sure if this is down the the garage trying to explain in layman's terms in order for me to understand, or if they're just incompetent, I don't know.

They've replaced the majority of the engine and the initial noise has gone.

Although the clutch vibrates slightly when nearing the biting point.

I notified the garage about this and they said "They need to do an upgrade on the cars computer because the car has a newer engine than the previous one. New cars have automatic aligning clutches and the update will fix this".

Again, after running it past my brother, that turns out to be bollocks.

After having it back for the 5th time, it seems ok.

I've brought a new Mini Cooper S instead of keeping this as I fear in the future, its going to happen again and be out of warranty. Plus I bet the garage has done some sub par repairs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts