Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have had the F56 automatic since a month.

During the first week I had the car, the engine stopped running while I was driving in the traffic on the highway for no apparent reason. Everything started flashing in the dashboard, and car stopped running. No need to explain this is not a nice situation when you are in the middle row of an highway and have no chance to put your car aside. :mad::mad:

It happened twice during that week and both time I was able to re-start the engine after let's say 30sec to 1min.

I went to the garage to have it fix. They kept it for two days and they saw there was 2 error messages registered on the key. They got in contact with Mini Canada & send them the error codes but came back saying the re-programmation codes for this were not ready yet and would available at the end of the month only.

So, in the meantime they decided to increase the idle when car would be at lower speed. The technical advisor suggested me that if this was solving the problem that I do not need to go for the re-programmation... I don't know very much about cars and I would like your advices.

I wonder if this happened to anyone else??? I tried to see on the web, but nothing similar.

Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
How can mini/bmw release a car when they don't have the codes for reprogramming if things go wrong, I know they have done a fix but I would want the reprogramming done for the error codes they found.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Do NOT under any circumstances accept a "quick fix". Get a loaner car from the dealer until this is properly fixed. This is too severe an issue to bluff and carry on. If you were told something needed reprogrammed, then get it reprogrammed and stick to your guns. Things like this can cause people to lose faith and fear driving the car.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Not to mention cause accidents, for which Mini would be responsible as they have agreed there is a fault with the car.

Do not drive it if you can avoid the need to.

They really should come and pick it up from you, if you have it back at home again, and give you another car in the meantime.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same topic discussion on NAM site,
http://www.northamericanmotoring.co...issue-2014-mini-cooper-dies-during-stops.html

Please keep us informed what you found out.
Wow. Thank you so much. This is exactly what happened to me, same error messages and everything. I will definitely take some time to read that forum post.

When I mentioned I went to the garage, I meant to the Mini Car Dealer and it is them who proposed to increase the idle... So, I guess they know what they are doing, the problem never came back after and it has been a month or so.

·
Registered
71 Posts
this is interesting - I have a manual cooper but twice now when reversing into my garage the start/stop switch has remained red with the car running and when you try to use the throttle to move the vehicle is stalls - my neighbour actual came out to ask me what I was doing as the car kept starting and stopping - the only way to clear it is to stop the engine via the start/stop switch and re start the car - then it seems OK - very strange????

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes! I've had the same problem at least half a dozen times since I got my new F56 (Automatic) in Toronto two months ago. Fortunately, it's never happened when I had any sort of speed and I quickly learned to throw it into park and restart the engine. At least half of the times it was just after I'd just started the car and put it in reverse (always on a slight decline, so the rear of the car is pointing down the hill). Just contacted my dealership to see if they have the fix yet. Other than that I love the car, though I do find it a bit more jerky and sputtery than I'd hoped (apologies for the technical terms). I wonder if the two issues could be related. Please keep updates coming. Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Depending on the error, they do have updated software. Ask them if they've opened a PUMA ticket with BMW. That will get their attention.

Same issue here. It was a software error that could have killed me.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if this car is just too **** clever for it's own good sometimes. The MINI makes my old RCZ look prehistoric in terms of tech but it never did silly stuff like this....

I hope you get a satisfactory solution!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks. I made contact with the dealership today and the mechanic was aware of the problem and knew about the necessary update right away. I'm not taking it in for another couple of weeks because of my busy schedule, but I'll let you know how it goes. And I agree, I've often said the car is too smart for its own good. It sometimes feels more like a pretty box wrapped around a computer than it does like a car. Today I noticed that the auto headlights didn't come on until it was quite dark outside, where until now they've come on when there was the slightest bit of cloud. I'm not sure which way is right, it's just odd that it's changed all of a sudden. All that said, I still love the car and if these problems can be fixed I'll be happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mine stopped suddenly on the on-ramp to the M4 in Chiswick this morning: I have learned that London drivers are not very patient: I had some helpful hooting, just in case I HADN'T noticed that my car was stationary! :-0
My partner has had a couple of stalled 'Auto Stop Start' episodes, but this is the first time it has happened randomly, whilst going around a corner...I wasn't going anywhere near slow enough for the Auto Start Stop to have kicked in. There were various alarm messages, but to be honest I was too busy trying to get started again to take much notice. Mine's an auto so I had to put it in Park, and press the brake, then the starter button, before it would start again.
Just hoping it was a one-off incident...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just wanted to give everyone an update. I got the fix over a week ago (they said they increased the idle rate) and so far everything's been fine. Previously I'd had one or two stalls per week, so it looks like it worked. I also notice that the car is running a lot better. Previously, it would lurch or jerk when I was first accelerating, now it's smoother and peppier, more like my test-drive vehicle. I've been watching other forums on the issue and no one has come back and said they've had the update and are still having problems so fingers crossed this is all taken care of. The dealership here in Toronto was great too, gave me a loaner for the day, free car wash and kept me updated. I hope everyone else with the same issue has had a similar experience.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My engine stopped tonight at 70MPH. I was able to pull over and get it started but it was a potentially dangerous situation at high speed and heavy traffic. Fortunately the Phoenix motorists we're unusually polite tonight.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just wanted to give everyone an update. I got the fix over a week ago (they said they increased the idle rate) and so far everything's been fine. Previously I'd had one or two stalls per week, so it looks like it worked. I also notice that the car is running a lot better. Previously, it would lurch or jerk when I was first accelerating, now it's smoother and peppier, more like my test-drive vehicle. I've been watching other forums on the issue and no one has come back and said they've had the update and are still having problems so fingers crossed this is all taken care of. The dealership here in Toronto was great too, gave me a loaner for the day, free car wash and kept me updated. I hope everyone else with the same issue has had a similar experience.
Hey Toronto, which dealership did you get in contact with?

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Manual Cooper has this issue now and again, So will book it in and see what happens. But looks like I need to tell them its ECU/Start stop related.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Regarding my 70mph mishap. Got the car back. I'll just show what was on the repair slip, and you can make of it what you will. This is a '14 MCS. US spec.

"Customer states engine stopped/died while on freeway at approx. 70mph.
Connected charger. 12.2v. Ran vehicle test and found fault C95461. Speed Communication Fault and 8040A9. Start-Stop switch malfunction. Ran test plans and everything working as designed. Submitted PUMA case
Programmed vehicle to latest software level as per PUMA. Test drove vehicle with no issues."

Car seems fine at the moment, but seemed fine when it stalled on me as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 52 Posts