Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, excuse my lack of engine knowledge but does the f56 cooper S pop and crackle as does the JCW? ,, I drive a 2016 cooper and am thinking of moving up to one of either models 馃

Registered
Cooper S Works 210
The cracks and pops are slightly louder in sports mode (not all models have the driving mode selector as standard so look out for that), but the standard S exhaust isn't that loud which is why some owners change to the JCW exhaust (3" Vs 2.5" on S) and do a res delete (remove centre silencer and have straight pipe added).
If you want louder cracks and pops then look out for a car with the Pro exhaust or an aftermarket (remus, etc)

Registered
Hi @Miniscoop yes the Cooper S does pop and bang (in sport mode.) Firstly it's down to the map or engine tune, which purposefully dumps a bit of surplus fuel through the cylinders when on overrun. The surplus fuel ignites in your hot exhaust making noises to a greater or lesser degree depending on the exhaust setup (cats/silencers/bore). Hence the points made above about changing exhaust.

What Lee (in the YT video) doesn't explain, is that in a modern car this is totally artificial and completely avoidable with the mapping of the ECU. So if your car is tuned NOT to do this, then no amount of fangling the exhaust will get you any pops. It's why your Cooper doesn't, and why a MINI in Eco mode doesn't.

Begs the question... has anyone been able to map pops and bangs into a Cooper?

Registered
The pops n bangz that a factory S/JCW and many other turbocharged performance cars make are anti-lag programming. The rapid pops in sport mode are caused by the exhaust valve closing very late and the ignition retarding the spark timing with the specific intention of keeping the turbo spooled during downshifts.

ALS can also be programmed into many modern ECUs.

Registered
I have a 2019 Copper JCW with the JC Pro exhaust, it definitely pops and bangz in Sports mode! It just cracks me up every time!

Registered
The pops n bangz that a factory S/JCW and many other turbocharged performance cars make are anti-lag programming. The rapid pops in sport mode are caused by the exhaust valve closing very late and the ignition retarding the spark timing with the specific intention of keeping the turbo spooled during downshifts.

ALS can also be programmed into many modern ECUs.
Hmmm sorry @Dragonfly but I'm pretty sure it's not designed for anti-lag on the S/JCW. I know what you mean and your explanation of anti-lag is spot on. Some cars do indeed do it for anti-lag (like the i30N) but not the MINI. When you change down and come off the throttle, the car knows this, and there's no reason to be spooling the turbo when you're slowing down on overrun - but it still pops loads. It's not igniting fuel in the cylinders, it's injecting it to be expelled down the exhaust where it explodes further down, after the turbo. Happy to be proven otherwise, but this is only based on my readings and understanding of the B48 in the JCW.

I wonder if I could record the ignition trace during a drive... I expect there's no ignition happening during overrun - only randomised fuel injection (in sport mode.)

Registered
Hmmm sorry @Dragonfly but I'm pretty sure it's not designed for anti-lag on the S/JCW. I know what you mean and your explanation of anti-lag is spot on. Some cars do indeed do it for anti-lag (like the i30N) but not the MINI. When you change down and come off the throttle, the car knows this, and there's no reason to be spooling the turbo when you're slowing down on overrun - but it still pops loads. It's not igniting fuel in the cylinders, it's injecting it to be expelled down the exhaust where it explodes further down, after the turbo. Happy to be proven otherwise, but this is only based on my readings and understanding of the B48 in the JCW.

I wonder if I could record the ignition trace during a drive... I expect there's no ignition happening during overrun - only randomised fuel injection (in sport mode.)
馃槀

Registered
Hmmm sorry @Dragonfly but I'm pretty sure..
Sounds convincing.

... your explanation of anti-lag is spot on.
Thank you (?)

When you change down and come off the throttle, the car knows this, and there's no reason to be spooling the turbo when you're slowing down on overrun
LOL, what?!

It's not igniting fuel in the cylinders, it's injecting it to be expelled down the exhaust where it explodes further down, after the turbo.
So, in the cat?

Data log and find out for yourself how your car works 馃憤

Registered
Ahh I'm probably talking shite again @Dragonfly! This was just based on my possibly lame (mis)understading of how the pops are made. I was just throwing it out there more for discussion, hopefully no-one takes me seriously. (They usually don't). Thanks for your inputs and educations. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts