Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually, I am trying to install a Dash Cam, which should be hard-wired to the fuse box to get constant power, but it seems like new mini cooper s (2014 model) has sort of energy saving function, which means power is lost after 10-15 minutes I lock the car. People suggest that I should connect to the emergency light fuse, but I could not find it, as the fuse box legend is very hard to understand.

Anyone has idea of which fuse I should connect to?
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
I think you're on sticky ground here as its a canbus system so you could upset all sorts I'd go straight to the battery terminal.but ask a dealer .

Reactions: uke

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
What is "canbus system"? Could you explain a bit more, please? Thank you
The CAN bus is a "Controller Area Network". It's how all the various computers in the car communicate with one another. Think fancy wiring; It's signals, not necessarily power.

Jeremy's point is valid. One thing you should never do is try to piggyback off a CAN data line for power (I don't know if that's even possible, but if it is there probably isn't enough current on tap, and you will probably bollox up the signals and confuse the computers big time). But it's perfectly safe to tap off a 12V power lead. The issue with that is the device you are powering must not draw so much current that it causes a "brown out" for any other devices that are depending upon the same lead for power. Plus you run the risk of blowing a fuse. And you have to be careful that the power line is actually energized when you want it, and not energized when you don't. Think back-up cameras; you only want that on when the car is in reverse, so you connect it to the power lead going to the reverse light.

The safest way to power something is to tap off the positive side of the battery and run a dedicated wire to the device. If you reuse an existing switched power lead, the safest thing to do is add a relay that will draw minimal current from the existing line and control a direct line from the battery.

Clear as mud, right?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Too many pictures.

Actually, I am trying to install a Dash Cam, which should be hard-wired to the fuse box to get constant power, but it seems like new mini cooper s (2014 model) has sort of energy saving function, which means power is lost after 10-15 minutes I lock the car. People suggest that I should connect to the emergency light fuse, but I could not find it, as the fuse box legend is very hard to understand.

Anyone has idea of which fuse I should connect to?
Thank you.
I have a dash cam powered by the port in the back of the car (by the light)
I never use the rear seats.

I would have powered the dash cam with the cigarette lighter outlet, but that's used for an add-on Sirius radio. I bought the car off the lot.

Sorry, this site won't allow me to show you the pictures.>:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
on/off power

You can tap into fuse # F52 for ignition on/off power. I used an Add-a-Circuit for my Valentine 1 radar detector. Finding where to ground was the problem. There is a place to ground behind the left side side panel on a stud way down at the bottom. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts