Mini Cooper Forum banner
201 - 220 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey everyone. We made it and finished to install the led lights. We've added the 5A2 and also did some wiring (followed the diagram) and now it works perfect.
View attachment 71689
Hello, am wondering if the front turn signals on your retrofit are working properly. I performed the same retrofit on my Mini F55 pre LCI but my left front turn signal blinks once and then stops, then gives me a front turn signal inop. I used ISTA + to read out the errors and it gave me “Front Left Turn Signal Light Mapping is Incorrect,” and gives me a plan to reflash the BDC Body ECU.

Is there anyway you can read out your BDC ECU and save the NCD file and share it with me for comparison. I know your car is an R56, but maybe the Front Turn Signal lights map out the same.

Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hello, am wondering if the front turn signals on your retrofit are working properly. I performed the same retrofit on my Mini F55 pre LCI but my left front turn signal blinks once and then stops, then gives me a front turn signal inop. I used ISTA + to read out the errors and it gave me “Front Left Turn Signal Light Mapping is Incorrect,” and gives me a plan to reflash the BDC Body ECU.

Is there anyway you can read out your BDC ECU and save the NCD file and share it with me for comparison. I know your car is an R56, but maybe the Front Turn Signal lights map out the same.

Thanks
My car is actually F57. I didn’t do the coding. My friend coded everything. I’ll ask him.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When upgrading my pre-LCI F56 (LEDs with cornering function) to 2018 LCI headlights (LED without cornering/matrix) the indicators didn’t work properly initially.

It was rectified by using the Bimmercode app to change the basic headlight settings to all LED and deactivating bulb warm monitoring. That could also have been done through Esys/Ista, I would think.

Good luck, you’ll get there and it’s definitely worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016 F54 BMW Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
591 Posts
As above.

Pre LCI use incandescent indicators, so you need to change them to LED

·
Registered
18 Posts
When upgrading my pre-LCI F56 (LEDs with cornering function) to 2018 LCI headlights (LED without cornering/matrix) the indicators didn’t work properly initially.

It was rectified by using the Bimmercode app to change the basic headlight settings to all LED and deactivating bulb warm monitoring. That could also have been done through Esys/Ista, I would think.

Good luck, you’ll get there and it’s definitely worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply.

I’ll recheck my settings with the BimmerCode app.

My problem is that the left turn signal blinks once, then goes off, all other lights on the left work appropriately, except for the front turn signal.
As above.

Pre LCI use incandescent indicators, so you need to change them to LED
Thanks for the reply.

They have been changed to LED. The left light continues to blink once, and then stops.

I am looking for the BDC ECU NCD file of a preLCI F56/F55/F57 who has successfully done this retrofit so I can compare it with mine.

Armando

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Could be a faulty module then.

The LED for the turn signal is housed in the large heatsink that fits on the rear of the light.
Font Personal protective equipment Sleeve Jewellery Strap

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Ok...

Maybe it's date related...

Have you upgraded like for like.

By that I mean 5AS for 5AS?

Maybe you need to inject a different CAFD? Or change the production date (I'm a little hazy on this last bit.

Could it be the other module... The one not circled in the photo above.

Unlike the LED module, the same one is used on both sides.

Maybe swap them over (might have to reinject the CAFD and recode).

If the fault moves to the other side you've found your problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok...

Maybe it's date related...

Have you upgraded like for like.

By that I mean 5AS for 5AS?

Maybe you need to inject a different CAFD? Or change the production date (I'm a little hazy on this last bit.

Could it be the other module... The one not circled in the photo above.

Unlike the LED module, the same one is used on both sides.

Maybe swap them over (might have to reinject the CAFD and recode).

If the fault moves to the other side you've found your problem.
I had been thinking of swapping the FLE2 modules to see if the problem persists and also recoding the BDC ECU using the LCI Date of 03/18 that corresponds to the LCI Lead Headlights to see if that solves it.
The only thing is that when I initially coded the BDC with that LCI date, the “SZL” was acting different. When I would activate the turn signal, it would only blink once, even tho I would apply full force to remain on constantly.
I just need someone willing to provide me with their NCD file from the BDC to do a comparison, as I believe this is all coding related:

·
Registered
374 Posts

Retrofitted lci led 5a2 on my wifes F56 after swapping the bdc!!! And the hight is adjustable with the manual leveler in the car! I can confirm 100% lci 5a2 does not have automatic hight adjustment sensors and work perfectly with manual controller. Retrofitting the units was pretty easy actually @ndal2 guided me a bit with wiring.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In the next few months I am going to install Matrix LCI headlights on my F56, I have originally Halogens, I have seen all the diagrams and more or less I think I know what the modifications are, but I don't know if the wiring I see is really for Matrix because not specifies it

Basically it would be:

Modify the existing wiring of my left halogen and move the position pins:

Pin 1 of the headlight connector is still in the same position in LED, that is, it connects to pin 48 A258 * 3B of BCD Body so it does not need to be modified and it is the same thickness in both installations 0.75mm

Pin 3 of the headlight connector is connected to pin 5 or 8 of the Z7 * 8B depending on whether the vehicle is above 2016 or below 2016, my vehicle is 2014, but the headlights are LCI, who should I pay attention to? In this cable I will use the one in position 3 of the headlight connector since it is 2.5mm in both cases (I will disconnect it from BCD and connect to the correct place in the power distribution box)

Pin 9 of the headlight connector I will use the same pin 9 of the halogen headlight since it is 0.35mm, I unplugged it from BCD and plugged it into KCAN3_H

Pin 10 of the headlight connector I will use the same pin 10 of the halogen headlight since it is 0.35mm, I unplugged it from BCD and plugged it into KCAN3_L

Pin 8 of the headlight connector I will use the same cable that is 0.35mm, I will unplug it from position 49 of the BCD and connect it to position 54 A258 * 4B BCD

Pin 2 of the headlight connector remains where it is, without modifications.

Pin 4 of the headlight connector is a new ground I can use the same cable that is already there, unplug it from the BCD and connect it to a ground, or connect pin 2 and pin 4, although I like the option of using two independent ground points to avoid overloading.

Right headlight:

Pin 1 of the headlight connector remains unchanged, in both cases it is plugged into BCD pin 36 A258 * 3B and has the same thickness.

Pin 3 of the headlight connector, I will use the same cable from pin 3 since it is 2.5mm thick, I will unplug it from the BCD and I will take the front power distribution box (it depends on the year it also goes on pin 6 Z7 * 8b or pin 11) my car is 2014, but I have doubts as to whether I should choose before 2016 or later when installing LCI MATRIX headlights.

Pin 9 of the headlight connector I will use the same pin 9 of the halogen headlight since it is 0.35mm, I unplugged it from BCD and plugged it into KCAN3_H

Pin 10 of the headlight connector I will use the same pin 10 of the halogen headlight since it is 0.35mm, I unplugged it from BCD and plugged it into KCAN3_L

Pin 8 of the headlight connector unplug from BCD pin 37 and plug into BCD pin 53 A258 * 4B have the same thickness in both cases 0.35mm

Pin 2 stays in place, same thickness and same position.

Pin 4 of the headlight connector is a new ground I can use the same cable that is already there, unplug it from the BCD and connect it to a ground, or connect pin 2 and pin 4, although I like the option of using two independent ground points to avoid overloading.

I would unplug the remaining cables so that they had no connection to anything.

Does something escape me as a matrix? At the moment I will code without a Kafas camera since I do not have it, but in the future it may be added, my car has a rear camera, so it should not be necessary to change BCD BODY.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Does something escape me as a matrix? At the moment I will code without a Kafas camera since I do not have it, but in the future it may be added, my car has a rear camera, so it should not be necessary to change BCD BODY.

Thanks in advance.
Have a good read through this thread, I'm going matrix from halogen in my F54 (when I get around to it), and I believe I've discussed the wiring.

What concerns me for you is the KAFAS.

I don't know if there are any FSC codes that you will need to purchase, but too install the KAFAS camera means a whole new windscreen (non KAFAS IS different).

You will also need the camera and the KAFAS ECU.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What really worries me is not that, but if the wiring / scheme is correct for matrix, that is, it is the same for normal led as for matrix, because in ISTA I cannot find different schemes.

Also if it is possible to use the cables that are already reorganizing them, especially because of the kcan3 that may give an error.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Yes the wiring for LED is the same for all types.

For the wiring, I know of at least one person that has reused the existing wires.

I'm debating whether to do this or run my own as canbus should really be a twisted pair.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes the wiring for LED is the same for all types.

For the wiring, I know of at least one person that has reused the existing wires.

I'm debating whether to do this or run my own as canbus should really be a twisted pair.
I myself used the existing cables in another prelci installation, but it was not Matrix, I also know more people who used the existing cables in Matrix and without problem, so I wanted to continue with it.

The doubt that I also create is whether I should connect to the connection of the fuse box above 2016 or below 2016, since the headlights that I am choosing are lci 2018-> but my car is 2014.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
@empo Or @ndal2 might be better placed to answer that, but I would say go with the wiring for your car, as that's where the supply is coming from.

·
Registered
24 Posts
@empo Or @ndal2 might be better placed to answer that, but I would say go with the wiring for your car, as that's where the supply is coming from.
Ok so the power of the fuse box I must choose the option before 2016.

Thanks! I think that in terms of wiring I have everything in mind, now it will be necessary for everything to work and then in the future to install kafas and get SLI, MATRIX, Active Cruise Control, and more interesting functions.

201 - 220 of 244 Posts