Mini Cooper Forum banner

141 - 160 of 188 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 F54 BMW Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
280 Posts
Someone should confirm. Lci cars with led, without matrix leds also have manual leveling. When matrix led there is no manual leveling

This car for instance

Are you making a statement or asking a question?

I was under the impression that all LED and HID headlights had to be auto leveling.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
The point is moot for me as I'm fitting matrix lights, but for those that aren't, this could be good news

·
Premium Member
280 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts

If this is anything to go by, then the sensors are only fitted with LED - but that doesn't necessarily mean all LED.

Note that on the halogen unit, 4 of the wires into the headlight unit are connected to the leveling motors. On the LED side, the leveling motor appears to be connected to the FLE, and connected to the BDC via the CAN rather than individual signal wires.

So this begs the question, is there a difference in the coding that tells the BDC to take the leveling data from the switch or the sensors and output it to the headlights.

I have asked the question before, and I've simply been told that the headlights will work with the manual leveling controls - BUT, that didn't answer if the switch world control the level.

Finding legislation is difficult, but I do know that HID Xenon in the UK are required to be fitted with self leveling and washer systems. I thought it was the same for LED.

·
Registered
67 Posts
View attachment 71042
If this is anything to go by, then the sensors are only fitted with LED - but that doesn't necessarily mean all LED.

Note that on the halogen unit, 4 of the wires into the headlight unit are connected to the leveling motors. On the LED side, the leveling motor appears to be connected to the FLE, and connected to the BDC via the CAN rather than individual signal wires.

So this begs the question, is there a difference in the coding that tells the BDC to take the leveling data from the switch or the sensors and output it to the headlights.

I have asked the question before, and I've simply been told that the headlights will work with the manual leveling controls - BUT, that didn't answer if the switch world control the level.

Finding legislation is difficult, but I do know that HID Xenon in the UK are required to be fitted with self leveling and washer systems. I thought it was the same for LED.
the meaning is that there is a chance I don't need the height sensors? can I use them without leveling them?

·
Registered
257 Posts
They could be fitted with both.. but if the manual leveling works your car will pass the MOT.

Another lci with led and manual leveler

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
the meaning is that there is a chance I don't need the height sensors? can I use them without leveling them?
Only if they pass whatever annual safety inspections (like the UK MOT).

With respect to the UK, the MOT test says this (emphasis mine)

4.1.2. Headlamp alignment

You must inspect all dipped beam headlamps fitted.

The type of headlamp will determine whether the aim must be checked on dipped or main beam (see Diagrams 1, 2 and 3).

A flat top or other alternative headlamp dipped beam pattern is acceptable as long as all of the beam upper edge, including any ‘peak’ is contained within the appropriate tolerance band.

It’s acceptable for masks or converter kits to be fitted to right hand dip headlamps to temporarily alter the lamp for use in the UK by removing the beam ‘kick-up’ to the right.

If driver’s beam aim controls are fitted, you should test the beam aim without altering the control setting. If this would result in failure for beam aim being too low, you should re-check the beam aim with the control set at its ‘highest’ position.

On vehicles with hydro-pneumatic suspension systems, it’s necessary to have the engine running when checking headlamp aim.

To check the aim:
  1. Position the vehicle on the designated headlamp aim standing area.
  2. Align the headlamp aim testing equipment to the vehicle in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
  3. Determine the appropriate headlamp beam image and its aim (see Diagrams 1, 2 and 3).
For complex lens systems - meaning those that have more than one lamp behind a single lens - make sure the test equipment is aligned exactly on the centre of the dipped beam pocket.

You must not carry out repairs during an MOT test, but you can make minor adjustments to the headlamp aim.

·
Registered
67 Posts
They could be fitted with both.. but if the manual leveling works your car will pass the MOT.

Another lci with led and manual leveler

So it seems like my current level sensor will fit the new led 2020. Am I right? did you changed from halogen to led lights in your car?

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Regarding the level sensors, emphasis mine

No you need new wiring +12, 2xGnd, 1can3,1 LIN and indicator. It will work without levelling sensors. But in the end you might need new BDC. Not all support LED. And you ll need new light control unit, WITHOUT the level adjust.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I'll order a new light control panel.
Just be aware that if you do so without installing level sensors, you will not be able to adjust the beam angle.

This could make it fail an MOT in the UK.

And @empo 's evidence suggests the information I've been given, and repeating, might not be 100%.

It might pay to install the lights and see if you can change the level manually before buying the new switch?

I'm already invested as I didn't have a switch with the adaptive setting, so I'm going for the full works. But I am also installing matrix lights (just hope the matrix works, lol)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I live in Israel so here it’s different. In my previous car I had led lights and I couldn’t adjust the height of the lights. And my headlights are the normal led lights, without the matrix.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Do you know if your previous car had auto leveling though?

I don't know Israeli vehicle standards to know if it's a requirement, or how is tested.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do you know if your previous car had auto leveling though?

I don't know Israeli vehicle standards to know if it's a requirement, or how is tested.
I see that it was manual leveling. Like, I had to change things inside the headlight in order to change the level height.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I see that it was manual leveling. Like, I had to change things inside the headlight in order to change the level height.
Manual leveling (to me at least) implies that you can change the been angle using the switch in the cabin.

If you have open the bonnet, they are not manually leveling. They are adjustable, but that's it.

Anyway, I'd say fit the new lights and see if the in car control switch changes their height...

If it does, you should be ok, providing it meets your countries testing criteria.

Also, feedback and let us know if this is the case ;)

·
Registered
257 Posts
These cars are being sold in NL. Where the law says when the car has xenon or hid it needs automatic leveling. Yes but during MOT most garages just check if there is a manual lever. If there is they will test it if it doesnt work it is a MOT fail. If there is no lever they just accept the car has auto level because they cant test it most of the time.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
The law is similar in the UK...

However it's actually a bit confusing because it specifies Xenon/HID - but NOT LED...

·
Registered
257 Posts
The law is similar in the UK...

However it's actually a bit confusing because it specifies Xenon/HID - but NOT LED...
Maybe thats where the stuff changes because the law also says if the car has hid xenon it needs washers. These are led so no washers

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
141 - 160 of 188 Posts