Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the gist of a letter I'll be sending to MINI USA on Monday.
"On Friday evening 8/1/14 I was driving my USA spec F56 MINI Cooper S automatic at about 35 mph in Mid mode on medium throttle when I heard a loud bang and the car surged forward.
It felt and sounded just like I had been hit from behind but there were no other vehicles around. Then I noticed a warning on the center dash display to the effect: "Fault in auto start/stop function. System immobilized. Consult service". No doubt a record of this event is stored in the car's computer.
By this time I had entered the freeway so I continued home.
I let the car stand for about an hour and then drove it again. The system worked OK, as it did again today, Saturday."
Has anyone else had a similar experience? Needless to say, I plan to turn the function off until I can have it checked.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Sounds to me like the ECU needs to be reprogrammed by the dealer. I've read about this elsewhere. .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Malfunction of auto stop

Mine malfunctioned within the first 5K miles as well. I've set the toggle to "off" as a precaution. When I took it to dealer, I mentioned that I prefer not to use it anyway, so the tech suggested I leave it for later since it would take some time to diagnose and fix. That is, I'd have to take a loaner car rather than have it fixed while i wait. I asked if a software update might fix it, but according to him, it wouldn't be that simple. I still plan to have it fixed while it's under warranty. I don't know if I'll trust it even after it's fixed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts