Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
If anyone needs the best then studded Hakapelita 8 from Nokian are the best harsh winter tire I have experienced. MINI (like all small light cars) can tend to float on deep snow - especially those wide JCW tires. The front wheel drive means a light foot is needed but it handles quite well as do most FWD in snow. AWD vehicles don't handle any better but transfer more power to a slippery surface and can usually accelerate from a standstill better.

Without proper winter tires I believe the MINI FWD would be very frustrating to drive in countries with regular snow on the ground. It would struggle mostly from a standstill in parking lots or getting off side roads or up driveway ramps or inclines.

The Hakapelita 8 studs are surprisingly quiet - this new design has reduced dry asphalt noise considerably and the feel on dry asphalt is nice and firm (not mushy like most winter tires)

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
I will put my winters on next weekend weather permitting!!!! It's a bit like gambling when deciding when to put em on-normally do it end oct but it has been so warm! Ah well-i can manage i am sure. WE have hankook winter icepts=not the best i dont think but pretty good and at a superb price when we bought them! saves the worry but yet to drive in really bad snow since we've had them-lets hope we get a proper amount this year! mmm, what am i saying!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I was driving on my first gritted road of winter on Friday so decided it was time for winters this weekend. Halfway though fitting them today in the street, snow flurries started so I guess that proves it was the right time.

Put the winter tyres on my bicycle a couple of weeks ago, mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.